SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #1
youstolemybeer
youstolemybeer is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
Default what am i in for?

Hi, the wife just bought a 2001 sw2 automatic and the only thing I know about Saturns is that back in the 90s to change the clutch you just move the transmission 4 inches over to the drivers side. This car has a wonky p0402 code that I am working on (just going to replace the map.tps.egr and vac lines. already did the coolant and air temp sensors) I figure at 106k miles I may as well to prevent problems later.
My question is, what goofy things break on these cars. With this many miles (actually pretty low for the year) what should I start learning to fix before it becomes an issue
Thanks
Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youstolemybeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youstolemybeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youstolemybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1
Default Re: what am i in for?

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177672

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
youstolemybeer
youstolemybeer is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2

I read that before my posting. I guess I should have been more clear (not enough coffee on my part)
Im looking more for the "How the heck did that happen " stuff.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youstolemybeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youstolemybeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youstolemybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I can list mine:
1) Snapped passenger side half shaft (180K)
2) failed ignition cylinder (204K)
3) never used donut spare failed in the trunk. Bought a new one. (18 years)
4) muffler hangar failed due to rust (11 years)
5) starters often fail. Love the manual transmission! Prevents a stranding. (150K for OEM, on my third aftermarket replacement now)

My next car will be another Saturn. Probably my next two, actually. One for my younger son, then one for me. My older son drives the Saturn. I am sick of the Dodge truck. It has actually been a very good vehicle. It sucks down gas, it is hard to park, not fun to drive, and is an automatic.

I am now at 208K.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

Last edited by Waiex191; 02-10-2018 at 11:26 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Save your money for the broken parts that you can verify unless you want to throw parts at the car. The parts you mentioned won't fix the P0402 code. It's about the egr valve and how it adjusts for exhaust gas recirculation to the intake manifold for lowering NOx emissions. The usual problems for this error code; excessive exhaust carbon build up on the intake port to the intake manifold from exhaust gases, a worn, stuck egr valve, incorrect egr valve replacement, worn egr valve gasket. A simple test for the intake and exhaust ports underneath the egr valve, (when removed) is to startup and see if the engine immediately runs to the pcm programmed rev limit of 4500 rpm while parked. The engine will bounce off its rev limiter to indicate the intake port is open and not blocked by excessive carbon build up. If the engine doesn't run to rev limits then the intake port is blocked and needs to be cleaned out. This test should take less than a minute - don't let the engine run at high revs. A sticking egr valve can be cleaned - the pintle valve may have carbon deposits restricting valve opening/closing. Solvent can be used but don't let it seep into the body where the electronics are. The pintle should be free to manually open and a spring closes it. The pintle valve seat should be clean when the valve closes to stop exhaust gases from feeding into the intake port.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by youstolemybeer View Post
I read that before my posting. I guess I should have been more clear (not enough coffee on my part)
Im looking more for the "How the heck did that happen " stuff.
Thanks
Well, I am going to "piggy-back" your tagline of "How the heck did that happen?" on the bigger issues.

Oil Consumption = How? GM's brainbusting engineers couldn't figure out that drilling oil flow return holes in the pistons would correct the problem of sticking oil control rings.

The recommended "preventative" is to use a high-quality Synthetic oil, in 5w-30. Other viscosity has and can be used. The important part is thay is it high-quality synthetic. Recommended is Mobil-1 Synthetic

Reverse Delay/Slam = How? Well, GM thought it would be a great idea to repeat the mistake that Cosworth made on the 2.3L Vega engine block, and decided to cast the valve body out of pure aluminum, while using STEEL valves and seals. Failure to change the transmission fluid at the 30-month/30,000-mile recommended intervals cause the valve body to internally leak. If left unfixed for too long, the input shaft nut get loosened and reverse will be lost completely with a P0732 code setting for "No 2nd Gear".(Reverse and 2nd Gear are on the same clutch)

Sunroof = How? Couldn't even tell you. All I know, if this car has one, it probably doesn't work. Very few power sunroofs still do, and many users complain about trying to repair/replace them.

BCM = How? These have an estimated life span of 5-7 years. Symptoms will typically be a "no-start" condition of a clicking key and no starter, with a flashing "Security" light. GM has to reprogram/replace them, typically. There are workarounds, and you may find them via a Google search of here in the forums.

PCM = How? On 2000-2002 Saturn S-Series, GM placed the PCM inside the engine bay, as opposed to under the dashboard. The heat, inside the engine bay will eventually wear on the circuitry, and fry it. Simple physics. Installing a heat shield or using "header tape" on your exhaust manifold, to deflect heat away from the hood pf the car, can be a preventative to this. PCM replacement will REQUIRE a GM dealership to reprogram it with the BCM and Ignition switch.

Cooling Fan = How? Normal wear and tear item, especially with excessive use of the A/C system. As a preventative, keep an eye on the coolant gauge in city driving and try to minimize the use of A/C when possible.

ECTS = How? GM, once again with their college-educated engineers, thought using a PLASTIC sensor was a better alternative to brass(which has been used for these types of sensors since the 1980s with OBD-I systems). Every last one of them fail. Symptoms are poor fuel economy, low coolant gauge, low heat, and drivability issues.

Head Gasket = How? See the Google search, "Does Dex-Cool damage the cylinder head gasket?", and that is all I will say on the subject. There is no preventative, with this one, only a permanent fix of flushing out all the orange and refilling with GREEN 50/50 or universal 50/50.

DOHC engines have a plastic manifold, that cracks where the heater core inlet hose connects to the manifold. Dorman males a permanent replacement for that, as well.

They are fun, rugged, amd dependable cars, that gobble oil, never rust, and barely sip on gasoline. Enjoy and welcome to the forums.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I agree with fdryer, save your money and fix it when it breaks.

I will say that on a manual transmission Saturn, I did pre-emptively replace the shifter bushing with Delrin one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I can list mine:
1) Snapped passenger side half shaft (180K)

5) starters often fail. Love the manual transmission! Prevents a stranding.
These are the only things I've experienced that left me stranded.

Technically #5 did not leave me stranded as once the engine cooled off, about 15~20 minutes, car started right up again.

And #1 technically did not leave me stranded because it broke in my driveway.
And I just happened to have an extra passenger half-shaft laying around in the garage

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
And #1 technically did not leave me stranded because it broke in my driveway.
Mine broke trying to pull aggressively onto the main road. It was up hill a bit. I coasted backwards, and had enough momentum to do a reverse 3 point turn in a hilly bank driveway. Then I coasted home and made it halfway onto my driveway. So, I was not stranded either.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
Telyx
Telyx is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

Mine broke just a few blocks from home. I guess it isn't as rare as I thought!

RIP my 2002 SL1, totaled 9/18/2012... found its replacement (2002 SL) 9/26/12, traded it in 5/10/2018 (199,604 miles).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Telyx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Telyx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Telyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #10
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

You are in for a lot of years with a nice reliable car. I bought my wagon over six years ago and i couldn’t be more satisfied with my decision. Drive it and enjoy all the money you don’t see yourself throwing away. Fix what breaks and live with the noises and rattles until something falls off.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #11
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telyx View Post
Mine broke just a few blocks from home. I guess it isn't as rare as I thought!
Yeah, water/salt collects at teh rubber thing that they installed for balancing or something. I've read that the rubber thing was only on cars with steel wheels, and you can get replacement axles without the rubber thing.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote