SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
ratgirl
ratgirl is on a distinguished road

Default Temporary loss of power steering

2003 Ion 3 sedan automatic
~65,000 km

I'm in Northern Ontario (COLD winters) and we just got a huge dump of snow. My Saturn was nearly buried, but I had to move it to get our parking lot scraped. Anyway, it hasn't been cold enough to plug the block heater in, so it started fine. I had tried my best before starting it to clean it off and clear the snow away from the hood and under the front of the car. The car was then stuck due to ice under the tires, got pushed out after a few minutes of pushing from 2 guys. Proceeded to get stuck AGAIN in the deep snow. Managed to get the car finally over to the parking lot across the road.

When I went over a couple of hours later to move it back to my spot, and when the car started, it made kind of a clunk sound first. Then the power steering was completely gone. I managed to get it cranked around to pull out. The power steering came back on suddenly. Now, I'm not sure if the power steering came back on just as I got out of reverse, but I don't think it did.

Anyway, any tips or possible reasons for this would be helpful. I'm 400km from a Saturn dealership, so I'd have to deal with a Goodwrench dealer if it's serious.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratgirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratgirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Temporary loss of power steering

Is it serious?, I can't tell from Arizona.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:20 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Temporary loss of power steering

Being a newbie, you may want to read this; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...t=ion+steering, as yours is electric. Maybe in the cold weather, and only a suggestion if the problem comes up again intermittently and not worth going to the dealer for diagnosis, would be to 'exercise' the electric steering motor by turning the wheel completely right and then left a few times slowly. This may allow the the motor electrics to warm up enough to allow normal steering. Its just a suggestion unless someone else can argue the negatives of doing this in the freezing winters. Normally this shouldn't even be a suggestion but in the real world away from the factory testing centers with a gang of engineers standing by, you're on your own to deal with any strange new problems that the engineers may not have calculated into their worst case scenarios. Of course, everything can't be calculated so we're left to find out the hard way. Hopefully you won't see this problem again and if you do you may have a better idea of what to do from this site or someone familiar with electric steering peculiarities.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote