SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 10-26-2016, 11:53 PM   #1
Scoot1988
Scoot1988 is on a distinguished road

Default Changed wheel bearing, new sound/issue

Hey guys,
I changed a front wheel bearing. I pulled the spindle off and had a shop press out the bearing and put a new hub/bearing in. I put it back on the car, and now there is a new rumble/gurgling noise when applying load until about 30mph, my mpg and power is affected. I have a manual 95 SC1. Any ideas what this might be? When I tightened down the axle nut on the front passenger side, the driver side wheel was on the ground. I tightened too much and cranked the engine once , that wouldn't be the cause of the new noise, right? I lowered the passenger side and tightened further until and guessed at about what torque I was at. I couldn't locate my torque wrench, so I know it's not at the 148 ft/lb, but it can't be far off. I'll borrow a friends torque wrench and put it at the correct torque.
Scoot1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2016, 12:31 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Changed wheel bearing, new sound/issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot1988 View Post
Hey guys,
I changed a front wheel bearing. I pulled the spindle off and had a shop press out the bearing and put a new hub/bearing in. I put it back on the car, and now there is a new rumble/gurgling noise when applying load until about 30mph, my mpg and power is affected. I have a manual 95 SC1. Any ideas what this might be? When I tightened down the axle nut on the front passenger side, the driver side wheel was on the ground. I tightened too much and cranked the engine once , that wouldn't be the cause of the new noise, right? I lowered the passenger side and tightened further until and guessed at about what torque I was at. I couldn't locate my torque wrench, so I know it's not at the 148 ft/lb, but it can't be far off. I'll borrow a friends torque wrench and put it at the correct torque.
New nut and washer and proper torque. Wheel must be rotated while torquing which requires someone to step on brake when tightening, this torquing must be done in stages to obtain proper bearing preload. If you are missing some power and a rumbling sound there is a failed bearing somewhere and that could be wheel bearing or either CV joint.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:31 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If the knuckle came off the car the alignment is fubar and needs to be fixed.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
Scoot1988
Scoot1988 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
New nut and washer and proper torque. Wheel must be rotated while torquing which requires someone to step on brake when tightening, this torquing must be done in stages to obtain proper bearing preload. If you are missing some power and a rumbling sound there is a failed bearing somewhere and that could be wheel bearing or either CV joint.
Is it too late to do this, or did I Jack up the new bearing?
Scoot1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot1988 View Post
Is it too late to do this, or did I Jack up the new bearing?
Will cost almost nothing to try. You might luck out, it does happen every so often.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new noise, rumble, wheel bearing