SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 06-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
Twitchworx
Twitchworx is on a distinguished road

Question Front outer CV axel stuck

So today I replaced my front wheel bearing hub assemblies.. On the first side I got it all off easily, and noticed a ring that wraps around the back of the hub and holds the ABS line away from the wheel... Thinking I could leave that part out (stupidly in hindsight) I installed all the parts and began testing it out. Pushing on the wheel it was still wobbling, so I knew I messed up, and tore it all back down. Now I have the problem of the outer CV Axel's splines stuck in the hub and can't find any way to get it out without harm.. I've beaten it with a hammer, lubricated it, everything I could think of. Any ideas on getting it out?

Also as a side question for someone who knows what I'm talking about with the ring, would you say that part is totally necessary? I originally left it out because it was crappy and the new assembly didn't include it.

Thanks, twitch
Twitchworx is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
gomoboo
gomoboo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Front outer CV axel stuck

[QUOTE=Twitchworx;2146604]So today I replaced my front wheel bearing hub assemblies.. On the first side I got it all off easily, and noticed a ring that wraps around the back of the hub and holds the ABS line away from the wheel... Thinking I could leave that part out (stupidly in hindsight) I installed all the parts and began testing it out. Pushing on the wheel it was still wobbling, so I knew I messed up, and tore it all back down. Now I have the problem of the outer CV Axel's splines stuck in the hub and can't find any way to get it out without harm.. I've beaten it with a hammer, lubricated it, everything I could think of. Any ideas on getting it out?

Also as a side question for someone who knows what I'm talking about with the ring, would you say that part is totally necessary? I originally left it out because it was crappy and the new assembly didn't include it.

I am not familiar with the ring you speak of, but if its purpose is to keep the abs leads out of harms way you could probably substitute with something else. I think mine has a clip.

You could try a hub puller to release your cv. I think you can rent them from Autozone. It attaches to the wheel studs, and then you turn the center bolt to separate the cv from the hub.
gomoboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Twitch,
I agree with gomo on this one, get a good gear puller/pusher and it should pop right back out. If that doesn't work then you are going to have to pull the spindle and the entire CV axle, and potentially the intermediate shaft, which isn't hard, it just looks like it is. Once you get the spindle out everything should be relatively ease to pull.... But honestly think that the gear puller/pusher will be the answer.

John
aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

You don't say what year VUE you have, but is this the ring you speak of?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...5&d=1278762695
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004, cv axel, vue, wheel, wheel bearing