SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 11-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
Ijustsaidthat2
Ijustsaidthat2 will become famous soon enoughIjustsaidthat2 will become famous soon enough

Default CV joint to Transmission noise

I am having a noise in the front passenger side of my 2004 Saturn L300 V6

It is coming from right where the CV joint connects into the transmission.

It is not the wheel bearing… everyone says that. 100% it isn't because:
A: it's not at that spot
B: the wheel bearings (both sides) were already misdiagnosed and replaced.

It is not the brakes:
A: not that spot in the vehicle.
B: I have removed the brakes and spun the axle on its own and can clearly hear it from the point where the tranny and axle meet.

This noise is only on the passenger side. As I jack up that side and leave the other wheel on the ground. I only hear it on this side. Swap sides and no noise.

Also the noise only seems to happen during forward movement of the wheel … silent in reverse.

I have been to a couple of shops and spoke with most of the people I know who could help.

No one seems to understand where it's coming from. I still have people argue its the wheel bearing or brakes. Every time I bring this up.

Any help ? Thoughts? Is this a DIY repair ?my concern is that it will require a tranny rebuild of sorts.

Also… side note…automatic tranny shifts like its brand new. Smooth and seamless.

Thanks Saturn Fans! You have helped me before and it's fantastic to have you!

Last edited by Ijustsaidthat2; 11-14-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Ijustsaidthat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2
Default Re: CV joint to Transmission noise

sound like an inner cvc joint.. you could get a whole reman shaft and swap it out very easy to do..im shure richpin has a vidio on it
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
Ijustsaidthat2
Ijustsaidthat2 will become famous soon enoughIjustsaidthat2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
sound like an inner cvc joint.. you could get a whole reman shaft and swap it out very easy to do..im shure richpin has a vidio on it

I am curious about this, the CV joint doesn't have any bearings or parts that move when you spin it. Isn't it more like a shoulder joint. The spinning one and making a noise doesn't seem right to me unless there is something I am misunderstanding about that joint.

It really sounds like I is almost where the joint and the tranny meet. As if there was a bearing there or something the CV joint spins on has a scratch
Old 11-15-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

well there are 3 types off inner joint design i know of .it's possble there is a bent dust flange on the 1/2 shaft that goes into the trans.. if you unbolt the support bearing by the alt you could pull it out a little and roll the tire and see if it makes noise or is bent..
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

richpin concentrates on S-series cars.

Ijustsaidthat2, see below for drawings of your cv joints. Inner and outer joints have bearings that do fail in no particular order. Posting mileage may help as a factor in determining if a cvj has failed. No one's an expert as you've found out so persistence may pay off if you find the right repair shop or do your own troubleshooting. First drawing is the outer joint, the next two are the inner joint. Search for parts online to see a whole cvj for replacement if this is making noise.

Shops in business make a profit whether or not a repair is satisfactory; a good repair makes money while a missed one returned for more parts still makes money for any shop. Good shops get it right the first time. Other shops eventually get it right after replacing as many parts as it takes to find the right repair..................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inner joint 1.jpg (143.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg outer ball joint 1.jpg (108.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg obj2.jpg (77.2 KB, 36 views)
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Ijustsaidthat2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
richpin concentrates on S-series cars.

Ijustsaidthat2, see below for drawings of your cv joints. Inner and outer joints have bearings that do fail in no particular order. Posting mileage may help as a factor in determining if a cvj has failed. No one's an expert as you've found out First drawing is the outer joint, the next two are the inner joint. Search for parts online to see a whole cvj for replacement if this is making noise.
Wow thank you. I wasn't aware of this. I have replaced a CV before but just a little different style.

I will try to find a video or Instructions

101k miles here. Just had a bad strut mount I replaced so I can handle heavier jobs. Just go to a mechanics whenever it's a bigger job than I can handle. I believe I can handle this. .
Old 11-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
Ijustsaidthat2

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
im shure richpin has a vidio on it
Where can I find richspins's videos? Sorry for the ignorance.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Ijustsaidthat2

UPDATE:

90% sure it was the Axle. I replaced it and it appears to have stopped the noise. I will be more excited after i put 50-100miles on it to make sure it doesnt re-appear.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So this makes you a little more knowledgeable than repair shops.
VCX NANO
Old 11-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Ijustsaidthat2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
So this makes you a little more knowledgeable than repair shops.
Absolutely. I find that myself or these forums are better than repair shops 99% of the time.

I spoke with 4-5 more people at repair shops and parts stores and only 1 other person said it was the CV Axle (and it was a 20yo kid at Advance Auto).

I had one shop that was about to open the tranny for $500 and clean it and inspect for issues.

Now, i know i did put a new CV .. and it is a female CV. i didnt notice any scratches or issues on the "race" inside the differential. Where the outer of the female touches the differential. I did clean that well... the only 10% of my doubt is that it is clean now, and in 50 miles it may come back. (if that race is bad or damaged.) However, i dont believe this to be so.

Thank you all again, and honestly this website is 100% the best place to visit if you own a saturn. Always come here first before a mechanic or a parts shop.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Perhaps the trend may be a hint to more expertise online as message boards connect anyone everywhere around this little orb we live on, sharing the tidbits that were always the realm of the local indie shops that do great repairs but aren't financially well off to buy advertising space in the yellow pages of yesteryear. Word of mouth advertising only goes so far compared to at least two recent members stating their favorite repair shop as the best for low costs and honesty. One even stated a dealer charging fair prices against another dealer that overcharges!? Web sites like ours concentrates car owners smart enough to use online message boards to learn more about their cars than any library could since books don't have the collected tales of owners willing to share their pitfalls and accomplishments. I'd like to think the other car forums also have their share of "armchair quarterbacks" sharing their knowledge to the benefit of their forums, making internet use as much 'community' as a real one except reaching farther without boundaries other than 'getting online' to reach a Saturnfans community or any other online community. Former Saturn mechanics/technicians that still come here to help adds to the wealth of knowledge in Saturnfans database. The rest of us bring personal experiences and knowledge to bear against questions to put most issues in perspective - handing down procedures similar to family handing down old keepsakes.
VCX NANO
Old 11-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
Ijustsaidthat2

I will try to be more active and post my knowledge. I have owned my L300 since it was brand new in 2004. I have put 100k miles on it, and I have done essentially every repair on it (outside of tires, wheel bearings and alignments)

I worked at Advance Auto for 6 years in the late 90s and early 2000s. I have always been a 'backyard' or 'home garage' mechanic to friends and family. I am a strong believer in 2 things:

1. attempt figure out what is wrong yourself first
2. gauge if you can repair it and how that compares to a shop cost.

Once you get those down, then you can determine the best for yourself.

Also, knowledge is key before you go to a shop. Know your repair, labor time, parts costs, tools needed, etc. Then you can gauge if its worth it.

This is the best thing you can do. Even if you know the job is "too big" for you; if you don't have the knowledge, you can waste money fast!
Old 11-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Ijustsaidthat2

Default Re: CV joint to Transmission noise - UPDATE NOT REPAIRED

Well, it appears the noise has returned. This is very perplexing. It appears to be less than it was before, but still hearing it in the same place. So odd! Any help or thoughts?

Anything inside the transmission that can cause a noise like this?
Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 AM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I can't offer you any more ideas. Perhaps another member can. Below are three pages of noise troubleshooting in xmissions. Not an answer but info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf noise 1.pdf (95.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: pdf noise 2.pdf (77.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf noise 3.pdf (95.4 KB, 29 views)
VCX NANO

Tags
bearing, cv joint, noise, transmission