SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
LibertyLoud
LibertyLoud is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Saturn Vue Bad Front Wheel Bearing

New to this forum and here to try and help my father who is on a fixed income. My father took his Saturn Vue into what used to be the local Saturn Dealership.

He received TWO sets of bad news:
1) He has a bad front wheel bearing and the shop wants $700 to replace it.
2) After his original Vue warranty was no longer good he purchased a BUMPER-TO-BUMPER third party extended warranty insurance that the Saturn dealership was pushing at the time. Apparently the Extended Warranty Insurance company has filed bankruptcy and the information can be found at carrg dot org. Anyone run into this problem and how did they resolve it.

I am new to this forum and tried to locate the information I needed to help my father via the search function. I thought I had located the correct information needed with pictures (a must...can use a wrench put need pictures and to have it spelled out to me). However, when I clicked on a picture link it told me that the photo section was down.

One last side question: Do all 2003 Saturn Vue's have the VTI?

Thank you for any help you can provide or links with a DIY photos. There is no way my father can pay what the dealership wanted so I have to pull this off myself somehow...thanks again.
LibertyLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
bluesl2
Master Member
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: 2003 Saturn Vue Bad Front Wheel Bearing

Wheel bearings go frequently on the vue, they are a bolt in hub/bearing assembly. Search around for prices on them, maybe napa, etc. Most of the time the bearings come out hard though and may not be easily changed in your driveway.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyLoud View Post
New to this forum and here to try and help my father who is on a fixed income. My father took his Saturn Vue into what used to be the local Saturn Dealership.

He received TWO sets of bad news:
1) He has a bad front wheel bearing and the shop wants $700 to replace it.
2) After his original Vue warranty was no longer good he purchased a BUMPER-TO-BUMPER third party extended warranty insurance that the Saturn dealership was pushing at the time. Apparently the Extended Warranty Insurance company has filed bankruptcy and the information can be found at carrg dot org. Anyone run into this problem and how did they resolve it.

I am new to this forum and tried to locate the information I needed to help my father via the search function. I thought I had located the correct information needed with pictures (a must...can use a wrench put need pictures and to have it spelled out to me). However, when I clicked on a picture link it told me that the photo section was down.

One last side question: Do all 2003 Saturn Vue's have the VTI?

Thank you for any help you can provide or links with a DIY photos. There is no way my father can pay what the dealership wanted so I have to pull this off myself somehow...thanks again.
It is discouraging to learn of the bad news ... I've not personally changed a wheel bearing but can email a service manual extract for you to review.

Use the PM function to send the address.

Regarding VTI ... to best of my knowledge the VTI was used only with 4 cylinder Vue's. Does your father have a 4 or 6 cylinder engine?

Incidentally, see bluesl2 advice regarding checking with local parts houses for hub / bearing price and availability.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:52 AM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Welcome to the forum. This looks like a good thread for reference - hopefully the photos will be back up soon.
http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=131167
If you attempt this yourself, find out if you need an an ABS hub with the wheel speed sensor. I've been getting Timken hubs from RockAuto <$125
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Do all 4 hubs go out or is it just the front ones? Just curious as to what to expect later down the road
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin05VUE View Post
Do all 4 hubs go out or is it just the front ones? Just curious as to what to expect later down the road
I've had 2 fronts and 1 rear fail. On a FWD, the rears are real easy to change.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Megoman
Megoman is on a distinguished road

I have replaced both front and rear wheel bearings on my '03 AWD Vue. All 4 have ABS sensors. I can tell you that you'll need a 33mm deep well socket to remove the axle nut on the front, and a 29mm for the rear (if memory serves) It can be a pain, but you can do it. Good Luck!!
2003 Vue AWD ......Mine
2006 Equinox AWD .....Wife's
Megoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
rayzur9
rayzur9 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Please note, dont mess around with trying to remove the BEARING from the HUB. Just purchase the damn hub assembly with NEW bearing already installed. Two types out there, WITH ABS, and WITHOUT ABS. I changed out both of my front hub assemblies on my 03 V6 Vue a couple months ago.
The hubs run 165.00 at the local auto parts store here in TX. If you want to order online, Rockauto has them.
Rent a flange/hub puller with the center bolt you tighten against the spline shaft and the jointed arms that grab around the circumference of the hub.
This will save you considerable time and energy. I posted a picture of one but as you say, the pics must be down.
If your 03 vue is a 4cylinder, you may have the VTI transmission.
No 6 cylinder engines have the vti tranny.
rayzur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
LibertyLoud
LibertyLoud is on a distinguished road

Wow! This forum has incredible people in it! Thanks for all the responses and advice.

To answer a few questions - It is only one of the wheel bearings that went out up front. He has ABS and I plan on buying the full assembly as some have suggested. I plan on renting any tools needed. The only thing I need now are the pictures back up on this forum and I should be able to pull this off. Pictures have always helped when I work on vehicles because I am not the best mechanic but feel that I must help my father in any way I can because things are very tight for him financially.

Does anyone know why the pictures have been down for so long? Does anyone know when they will be back up?

Thank goodness my father has the AWD V6 because I was thinking at first that I would have to tackle the transmission as well.

THANK YOU to all who have commented so far...I truly appreciate any help.
LibertyLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:45 AM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyLoud View Post
Does anyone know why the pictures have been down for so long? Does anyone know when they will be back up?
You can try going to this Intro page . . .
http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...ement.php?f=24
Click on Charlie's name on the left and send him a private message.
In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to get some PB Blaster and spray the the axle nut, axle splines and the hub/steering knuckle mating surfaces. Freeing the hub from the knuckle is usually the biggest challenge.

Tags
2003, diy, saturn, vue, wheel bearing