SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
tinsq1
tinsq1 is a jewel in the roughtinsq1 is a jewel in the roughtinsq1 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Evap code:P0442

Hello mates, Today I have run into the dreaded check engine light.
Upon checking the code it seems be P0442 : small evap leak. which pointed the purge control valve.

I have checked the fuel lines and they seem to be fine..
May anyone be able to lend a helping hand in finding where this may be located or any other suggestions that may help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tinsq1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tinsq1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tinsq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Evap code:P0442

Year, make, model, engine, placed into your profile won't require the same questions again. At the least, it may be a dirty gas cap seal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I had to go back through your posts to see what model vehicle you have. It would be most helpful if you would go into your User CP and add in the model information so that it will appear beneath your login name. It's also useful to provide a location. If you're not comfortable being specific as to what city you live in, you can use the state or province only. It helps to direct better information to you. In this instance it could relate to your concern.

If you live in an area where rust is tends to develop on cars due to harsh winters it can be the prime contributor for causing this leak. Look carefully at the fuel tank filler pipe assembly running from the fuel door down to the tank. It's not unusual for small holes to develop on assembly's large pipe (fuel filler) and small diameter pipe (vent pipe). I believe that you'll need to remove the wheel house liner to expose its full length for inspeciton. fdryer started a thread detailing his repair of this pipe. Others have discussed it as well.

296,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 10-02-2018 at 06:40 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:33 PM   #4
tinsq1
tinsq1 is a jewel in the roughtinsq1 is a jewel in the roughtinsq1 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Year, make, model, engine, placed into your profile won't require the same questions again. At the least, it may be a dirty gas cap seal.
Ah, sorry about that I forgot to do it, It's in there now.

I did go into the how to section but it doesn't show me any threads just a few gray boxes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tinsq1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's the service manual descriptions and guidelines for P0442. You can check for Similar Threads below that may help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (89.6 KB, 10 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (100.4 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2018, 03:24 AM   #6
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This is a post from my evap leak.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219877

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #7
tinsq1

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Did try a new gas cap but light came back on sadly.

thanks guys for the help and suggestions, I have looked around but have not felt or seen anything myself. May need to do a smoke test.

I'll update once I find out what it is

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

If it is at all possible for you to do so then I'd heartily suggest doing your own visual inspection of the fuel tank filler pipe assembly prior to the smoker test. Knowing that you're in a state where rusting parts is an issue then there's a realistic possibility for that area to have sustained enough damage to develop holes in the steel tubing.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #9
tinsq1

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Sorry for the delay work has been nuts.

I took a day and went threw everything found this

I'm assuming the filler neck? but as I was looking for parts some had 3 tubes others 2 is there a specific one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #10
tinsq1

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Read the first post in this thread; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...02#post2207202. My fuel pipe is a two piece unit. The smaller vent line (main tube is for fuel feed to the tank) corrosion from salting roads rotted the tube, breaking open. What was P0442 became P0455, small evap leak became a large evap leak. The severely corroded vent tube started as a pinhole leak/P0442 and became an open vent line, P0455 that can't be reset. Replacing the fuel feed pipe corrected the error codes permanently. I sprayed undercoating, the rubbery stuff, on the new pipes to help keep salt off it. This was about two years ago and zero evap error codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2018, 12:09 AM   #12
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsq1 View Post
Sorry for the delay work has been nuts.

I took a day and went threw everything found this

I'm assuming the filler neck? but as I was looking for parts some had 3 tubes others 2 is there a specific one?
For the sake of reference, the links below are to pictures of fuel tank filler pipe assemblies which are a fit for your LW2 (aftermarket).

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...440050&jsn=327

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...440050&jsn=326

Last edited by pierrot; 10-19-2018 at 12:16 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #13
tinsq1

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Sorry again for the delay, after working 60 hours last few weeks boss asked me to take few days off . So used that time to work on the car.

After changing the fuel filler neck and evap canister the check engine is finally gone .

the vent was in really bad shape.. broke off at the slightest touch

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2018, 12:54 AM   #14
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Congratulations! It great to learn of a successful correction of the P0442 issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2018, 03:30 AM   #15
tinsq1

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Congratulations! It great to learn of a successful correction of the P0442 issue.
Or any check engine issue. Thank you to everyone for the help and guidance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!