SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
MrSeabass
MrSeabass is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Jealous/loaded sister=new VUE owner

I love the whole irony of this situation. Last Friday my sister, who recently graduated with a nursing degree and stockpiled a nise amount of cash, called me to let me know that she's looking for a new car this weekend. Now in my family, that means two things: "Looking" means "buying the first day", and I have to hold her hand while she looks for one. Knowing her she would jump at the first car she sees with a cupholder. She did the same thing six years ago and bought a Sentra...ugh.

I was unable to go with her, so she gave me a general idea of what she wanted: a CUV like mine, like an Xterra or a Murano, but she did NOT want my car. I told her about the CX-7, Santa Fe, and the CR-V. I told her about engines, trannys, prices, and anything related to stupid scams like "rustproofing" and window etching (Saturn of Spartanburg got me on the window thing; bunch of a**holes.) So she went that Saturday morning with my parents and called me every now and then to update. She didn't like the CX-7 because Ford makes it (good girl), The Hyundai was alright, and the Murano was "too luxury". She said she was going to look a few more vehicles and report later.

I spent the rest of the afternoon with my friends at a local shooting range fixing broken computers from work with a few 30-06 and .45 rounds. It didn't work, so as I was leaving around 5:00 in the afternoon, my sister called me back. Basically she told me that everything sucked so she got a Saturn VUE. V-6, black, auto, tan leather, power everything, XM, alloys, FWD, wood trim; the works. All for roughly $26,000, which is what she was aiming for. And of course, the volley of "mine's nicer/bigger/more expensive" remarks began, but I brused them off. I either responded with "Automatics suck" and "Women can't drive" and it worked out well.

So thank you Saturn for making my sister envious for the past three years. Slow and steady wins the race.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrSeabass's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrSeabass reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrSeabass is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
VuedIt
VuedIt is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Jealous/loaded sister=new VUE owner

cool story and u hook lined sinkered her in and she nun the wiser, i have to admit saturns do offer alot for the price u pay and not many vehicles offer as much or they charge u arm legs and a child.

saturn of dayton south tried to get me to do that window etching thing too and i said well when i pick my car up(when i bought my first ion) we will talk about it, in the mean time i called my insurance and they had no clue what i was talking about so i got transferred finally talked to the main rep and he said well yeah its helpfull to have but its not going to lower ur rates just cause ur windows r etched with a number its not like they can track down the window after its been shattered or something, so i went back and told them no and they did there selling thing and i explained to them that well basicly my insurance agent said its a scam and that no insurance provider will lower the rates for something like this they dropped the pressure real quick and said heres ur new car.

2004 Mazda 6i with the auto/stick tranny
2006 Vue 2.2 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VuedIt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VuedIt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VuedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
MarvC
MarvC is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2007 ION Red Line

Look at it this way, you are much nearer of getting a newer VUE now than she has.

My wife's 07 VUE. 3.5L DVD, Leather and everything else except the sun roof 5 months old and only 4000 miles. It is a rare I get to drive it.
Employee discount helped a lot on the cost, sticker price was $29850.00. Our drive out price "priceless".

MarvC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MarvC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MarvC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MarvC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
EnjoytheVue
EnjoytheVue is on a distinguished road

Great story. Yeah, in my family "looking" also means you'll probably come home the first day with a dumb smile and a check missing from the checkbook. We did actually make a list of about 8-10 cars in the same price range to test drive when we bought my wife's Mazda3...which is good since we really didn't like the 2 cars we thought would be the "one" and once we drove the Mazda3 the rest where way down on the list. Anyway, we went shopping for Christmas gifts the Saturday after Thanksgiving, had already bought most of our stuff online, so we stopped by Saturn since we had time to kill with a babysitter watching the lil monster......an hour later I was signing for a new Vue and saying goodbye to my '04 Vue. I DID get the window etching.....but by accident. Apparently when they were prepping my Vue they did it by accident. My salesman pulled me aside when I went to pick it up and said he wouldn't mention it to anyone else but he noticed it when putting it in the pickup bay. My insurance agent, State Farm, said there is a minor discount for having it. So for THAT price, it's a good deal!

2007 Vue V6 FWD
2005 Mazda3 5-door (zoomzoom)
1984 Corvette

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EnjoytheVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EnjoytheVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EnjoytheVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Seabass - Good story. "Looking" means "buying the first day"
So, when are you going to upgrade? *giggle*

I couldn't agree more (buying first day)...even though I know the tricks they play (Dad ex-Dealer owner), I still feel pressure to buy, buy, buy. I told myself that this time I would check out everybody from my list via internet, then test drive, and then sit at home for at least 24 hours, then decide....wow, tough. I almost bought a Caravan during the test drive phase...especially, when the sticker price magically dropped by 7k., but a little birdy was telling me, check with Dad, check with Dad. I used that line a few times. LOL.
I'm telling you, when I sat in that VUE for the first time, I was aching to take it home...if it wasn't for the dealer wanting more than my budget allowed, I'd have taken it right there...new car smell...everything new and untouched...mmmm...mmmm.

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
MrSeabass

2004 VUE 2.2L

I'm serious about "loooking=buying". Not once ever has anyone in our family taken longer than sunup to sundown to buy a car. Ever. what amazed me was her Sentra trade in; the Nissan dealership offered $5,000, and Saturn gave her $6,000. It probably didn't hurt that my parents pulled up in a Solstice instead of a Yugo.

I am in no position to upgrade mine anytime soon. I just cracked 20,000 miles after 3 years of owning it, and I have yet to crash into anything worthwhile.Also, my other car - a '77 MGB - blew the engine a few months ago, so I'm saving up for a 3.8 Camaro swap, plus bodywork and paint. Besides, I refuse to drive an automatic, and until the V6 carries one, I'm not buying.

Edit: Nevermind; I just read that the Opel/VUE Redline is coming with a five-speed stick and AWD. Took GM long enough to figure that one out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MrSeabass reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
AzBlondeRocket
AzBlondeRocket is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSeabass View Post
Edit: Nevermind; I just read that the Opel/VUE Redline is coming with a five-speed stick and AWD. Took GM long enough to figure that one out.
Where did you read that? I did a bit of searching and couldn't find anything.
I loveloveLOVE my Vue RL, even though it's an automatic. I always said I'd never own an auto tranny, but when the right situation came around (0% financing) I couldn't resist.

But please give us a 5/6 speed manual Vue RL. Please.

2006 Saturn Vue Red Line -A Moose is on the Loose-
1990 Toyota Camry LE-V6 - Katy the Camry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AzBlondeRocket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AzBlondeRocket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AzBlondeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
ketch
ketch is on a distinguished road

''I spent the rest of the afternoon with my friends at a local shooting range fixing broken computers from work with a few 30-06 and .45 rounds. It didn't work,''
I love it

"GM-Cars With Character"- as opposed to those w/o, like Toyota!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ketch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ketch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
cjhsa
cjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L

Wow, Marv, that looks familiar. What the heck came on it to get it up to almost $30K before discount though?

This one came to $27.5 before discount with leather, comfort pkg, roof rails and cross rails, XM, side curtain air bags... We had to wait eight weeks for that tan leather though - seems they only sell it in grey in oh-so-grey Michigan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjhsa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjhsa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cjhsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
SaturnSales
SaturnSales is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ummm... NO... I attended my 2008 VUE Training class last Friday... I have the specifics posted in the 2008 VUE area.... anyway... there will be NO manual transmission available on the 2008 VUE... not even on the 4CYL model. The redline will have the 3.6L with the 6 speed auto with TAPshift. A manual may come later but at this time there are no plans for a manual at all on the 08 VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
MrSeabass

2004 VUE 2.2L

You caught it before I did; there was a follow-up to that article saying no to a manual Red. I'm surprised there's no option for the base model either. Looks like I won't be driving a new VUE. Sleeper MGB, here I come!

Also, my sister came to visit me and pick up my parents desktop PC (that I actually did fix). Nice car that's Powered by Honda, but still the same as mine minus the fake wood/plastic. One thing that I was envious of were the metal door pulls on the inside. My plastic ones absorb every type of dirt from my fingers in a matter of minutes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #12
nakman
nakman is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:

Seabass, I believe the 6 speed will be a manumatic. No clutch pedel. You can just pretend to be Michael S coming out of retirement!!! It just won't blip the throddle when you downshift!!!!

2007 VUE FWD 3.5L, Storm Grey
2008 Honda Accord, 2.4l, auto, Black
(Pic is the 03 VUE, 4 banger, 5 spd, gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by nakman; 02-03-2007 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Doh! Noticed, you got the answer already!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nakman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nakman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #13
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSales View Post
Ummm... NO... I attended my 2008 VUE Training class last Friday... I have the specifics posted in the 2008 VUE area.... anyway... there will be NO manual transmission available on the 2008 VUE... not even on the 4CYL model. The redline will have the 3.6L with the 6 speed auto with TAPshift. A manual may come later but at this time there are no plans for a manual at all on the 08 VUE.
Unless they canceled plans for the late introduction of a I4/5-speed, the press releases say there will be one (just not for the Red Line).

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #14
DesignoSLK
DesignoSLK is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Great story!

We bought the first time we saw the Vue, but we did look at 2 others we were considering.

First, we drove the V-6 Kia Sportage. Talk about gutless! Kia forgot to put balls in their V-6.

Then we went to the Honda dealership to try the CR-V. Now, I want to make a point here. I'm not a snoby Mercedes owner. I bought the SLK because I wanted one ever since we were in Germany the first time. And you can't beat the versitility of a retractable hard-top. But, I thought the sales folks might be a little responsive since we pulled up in the SLK.

Well, we pull up and get out. I see 4 salesmen looking out the window (not boasting, but the SLK is very sharp in copper) and figure one of them will come out. We walked down and looked over a couple of CR-V EXs, after about 15 minutes we walked back up to the car. No salesman ever came out to me us.

I opened the passenger side door to let my wife in (I've been a gentleman for the last 20+ yrs.) and walk up to the door were these morons are still standing and opened the door and said "I guess you guys aren't interested in selling a car tonight." I let the door close and started for the car and one scrambled out and about stumbled over his tongue to get me to come back in, yeah right.

It worked out for us, because we went down the street to the Saturn dealer and took a 3.5L Vue out for a spin. We were in love. 2 hrs later we pulled away with a nicely setup '06.

KEVIN

'06 Vue 3.5L
'00 Mercedes Benz SLK230
Cessna 172 (pilot)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DesignoSLK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DesignoSLK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DesignoSLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:48 PM   #15
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

Oh it can be quite interesting when ppl come in "just to look" and drive off in a new vehicle. i was no exception a year ago when i was getting an oil change on my '03 VTi AWD. i looked and for the heck of it crunched some numbers.....and lo and behold later that day i drove off in the current Binkymobile. Of course it's blue just like the last one, and at work ppl thought that i didn't even change vehicles, just wheels (the old Binkymobile had 16" chrome Panthers and the '06 has stock alloys-BUT THAT'S ABOUT TO CHANGE..... -anyway i went with a base V6 model without the sunroof, upgraded stereo, foglights, chrome package or leather. i rolled out the door for like $22K........i was thrilled to have the 3.5 and i sacrificed options to get it so i could do without the potential problems of the VTi.

-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binkybaby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binkybaby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
binkybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #16
MarvC
MarvC is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2007 ION Red Line

Wow, Marv, that looks familiar. What the heck came on it to get it up to almost $30K before discount though?

This one came to $27.5 before discount with leather, comfort pkg, roof rails and cross rails, XM, side curtain air bags... We had to wait eight weeks for that tan leather though - seems they only sell it in grey in oh-so-grey Michigan.

The VUE had practically every option except the sun roof installed ,all the options you stated (Same Leather) you have on your good looking Polar Wite VUE.
Other items besides the ones you mentioned Included DVD, enhanced audio package, headliner/side airbags, spoler,pin-stripe (LOL) and custom Saturn Cargo mat with cargo net installed, raised white letter tires. No top rails on the VUE.
We drove it off the lot for 25K Employee discount 10% and a lot of haggling with the sales person!
Believe it or not I am considering a trade for the 2008 when it comes out.
We payed 3/4 of the total amount of the SUV at closing so owe very little on the VUE.

Last edited by MarvC; 02-03-2007 at 10:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MarvC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MarvC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MarvC is offline   Reply With Quote