SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
kitkatbahr
kitkatbahr is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Newbie to Saturn and this board. Getting a Saturn from my sister...

Hi all,

My name is Kathy. I am new here and also to Saturn. I live on the East Coast of Florida, near the Space Center. My sister has a car that belonged to her husband's parents and it is now for sale. It wasn't ever driven much. It is a 98, gold color. Pic attached (hopefully, if I can figure out how to do that). They are getting the headliner fixed in it today. Otherwise, it is in very good shape. This car was only owned by her husband's parents. His dad died several years ago, and his mom has alzheimers and hasn't driven the car in years. It has been driven to keep it running, and as a matter of fact, Joe, my brother-in-law is driving it back and forth to work right now, just to keep it running and in use. Before that, it was sitting in their garage and/or yard when not in use. The body appears to be in great shape, as is the interior, except as noted, the headliner, which is being replaced today. They are taking it somewhere, rather than do it themselves. It is also getting a complete tune-up. They finally decided it was okay to sell the car, as his mom cannot drive it, and no longer remembers she owns it. He and his sisters are all in agreement to sell it now. They wanted to sell it the last year or so, but she would ocassionally ask about the car, so they didn't. They need to put the money towards her health care though, as she is in a nursing home now.

Anyway, they asked if we were interested in the car, as my son is almost 16 and wants something to drive. He actually wants my Chevy S10 pick up, so we will probably let him have that, and I will drive the Saturn. My husband has a little Toyota Rav 4 that he drives. THey are selling it to us for $1000 which we agreed to. It is very clean, very low miles, as brother-in-laws parents never really drove it anywhere. They lived here locally and only drove it around town and stuff. Never took it out of state, hasn't been in any salt/snow, etc. Not sure of exact mileage, but I know it is pretty low.

Do you think this is a good deal? It runs great. We actually borrowed it last year for a week, when one of our vehicles was down for maintenance. It was a great little car. My brother-in-law's parents took great care of the car. Took it in for regular maintenance, etc. all the time. So, it has been taken care of.

I know this sounds really dumb, but I have been reading about SL, SL1, SL2, generation 1 and 2, etc. Can anyone tell me what this one is by looking at it? Told you I was a newbie! LOL I just know it is a great running car, one owner and they have all maintenance records on it, etc. I know for $1000 we couldn't go out and buy any car off the side of the road or car lot somewhere and have that kind of history on the car, or know if it runs good, etc. So, that is why we want to buy it. Just curious to learn more about it.

Thanks.
Kathy

Edited to add: Can't post pics as it says I have to have 15 posts before I can do that. I was trying to link it to photobucket. I do have them on Flickr, but not sure if I can link to that either. My user name on Flickr is Kathy Bahr, or it might be kitkatbahr (can't remember! LOL) if that helps. Otherwise, I will try to post 14 more times! LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kitkatbahr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kitkatbahr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kitkatbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Spaz
Advanced Member
Spaz will become famous soon enoughSpaz will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
Default Re: Newbie to Saturn and this board. Getting a Saturn from my sister...

Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about your brother in law's mom. $1,000.00 is an awesome deal. 1998 makes your vehicle a 2nd gen. One way to tell the difference between the SL1 and SL2 is to look at the bumper. I believe the 2nd gen SL1's had the black, non painted bumpers. The SL2's bumpers are painted the same color as the car. The S series is pretty easy to work on. This forum has great members and a wealth of information to help you out.

Last edited by Spaz; 12-16-2009 at 03:45 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Hi... Welcome to Charlie's Forum. Beware of Wallmasters.

That being said, +1 on Spaz's post. Another way to tell if you have SOHC or DOHC is the gray (rubber?) bumper is SOHC and the painted-like-the-rest-of-the-car is DOHC.

also, if the 8th digit in the VIN has a 7, then it's a DOHC.

on another note, I'd personally give the son the Saturn and keep your S10. too many inexperienced TEENS with large vehicles and/or big engines, and either flipping em over or crashing them BAD.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
That being said, +1 on Spaz's post. Another way to tell if you have SOHC or DOHC is the gray (rubber?) bumper is SOHC and the painted-like-the-rest-of-the-car is DOHC.
In case there's any confusion, my original post said that an easy way to tell the difference between an SL1 and SL2 was to look for the reflector on the trunk lid, which the SL1 doesn't have. I then thought about the bumpers, which was an easier way to tell the difference. Thus, my edit. Sorry bout dat!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
kitkatbahr

1999 SL2

Thanks for the warm welcome and replies. I appreciate it. So, from looking at the car, it appears to be an SL2, as the bumpers all match and there is a reflector on the back that makes it look like the lights go all the way across. Also, it has a right side mirror. I read somewhere that the SL and SL1 didn't? There is no black or gray on the car at all. It is all gold and the bumpers match.

As for giving my son the Chevy S10, it is a little truck. Not one of those F150 things. It only has 4 cylinders, automatic, and not much get up and go. He has been driving one just like it, same year, etc. (2000) in driver's ed and he really likes it. It was my dad's truck. My dad died 2 1/2 years ago, of cancer, at age 84. My son loved his grandpa and to give him grandpa's truck would mean alot to him. I seriously don't think he will do anything to hot rod it or mess it up because of that. He has grandpa's acoustic guitar, too, and that means the world to him. He takes really good care of his things.

I am excited to get the car. We are hoping to get it by Christmas.

Thanks again everyone! I look forward to getting to know you all and learn more about the Saturn.

Kathy

Last edited by kitkatbahr; 12-16-2009 at 08:06 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kitkatbahr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
In case there's any confusion, my original post said that an easy way to tell the difference between an SL1 and SL2 was to look for the reflector on the trunk lid, which the SL1 doesn't have. I then thought about the bumpers, which was an easier way to tell the difference. Thus, my edit. Sorry bout dat!
Eh, it's a forum.. it happens.

(seriously Charlie needs to add that ninjaface as an emoticon here...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbahr View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome and replies. I appreciate it. So, from looking at the car, it appears to be an SL2, as the bumpers all match and there is a reflector on the back that makes it look like the lights go all the way across. Also, it has a right side mirror. I read somewhere that the SL and SL1 didn't? There is no black or gray on the car at all. It is all gold and the bumpers match.

As for giving my son the Chevy S10, it is a little truck. Not one of those F150 things. It only has 4 cylinders, automatic, and not much get up and go. He has been driving one just like it, same year, etc. (2000) in driver's ed and he really likes it. It was my dad's truck. My dad died a 2 1/2 years ago, of cancer, at age 84. My son loved his grandpa and to give him grandpa's truck would mean alot to him. I seriously don't think he will do anything to hot rod it or mess it up because of that. He has grandpa's acoustic guitar, too, and that means the world to him. He takes really good care of his things.

I am excited to get the car. We are hoping to get it by Christmas.

Thanks again everyone! I look forward to getting to know you all and learn more about the Saturn.

Kathy
...you know, I am normally against kids driving big vehicles (even pickups), but in this case I'd probably make an exception.. speaking of which, I plan on obtaining either a Buick Lesabre ('77-'85) or Pontiac Bonneville ('77-'81, before G.M. downsized it and made the Parisienne take over), in honor of my grandpa, as those were the last two cars I've known him to have... I loved him a lot. He died last year.

Anyway, 84 years.. lived a good life.

Oh yeah, about that passenger side mirror, IIRC those were options on the first-gen SLs, and standard once 2nd gen came along.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

Yup, it's an SL2. Looking forward to hearing from you once you get it. The headliner is a common problem in these cars. It would be interesting to hear how the headliner turns out. Members have been repairing it themselves, with varying degrees of success.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Old 12-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
kitkatbahr

1999 SL2

Oh, I also wanted to add, in reference to my son driving the pick-up, he turns 16 next week, on the 23rd, but won't get his actual driver's license until August 2010, as he waited until August of this year to get his learner's permit. So, he won't be driving on his own until a few months before his 17th birthday. He just finished Driver's Ed and passed with an "A", so he did good. Plus, we are giving him lots of hours driving the pick-up (mostly until we get the Saturn, and he can drive that too). He has from now til August to get his mandatory 60 hours of driving, and he is already almost there, so he will have way over what the state of Florida requires for teens to get their regular license.

He was also selected by his Driver's Ed teacher to represent his high school with the Sherriff's Department Driving event that they are having. Supposed to happen the end of this month, but has been postponed til January. They are getting teens from area schools together to "compete" in a day and a half event at a driving range near here. They get a bunch of classroom time and range time and get to do lots of fun stuff. Skid strip, defensive driving course, things like that. THey make it fun for the kids. Anyway, he was selected to represent his school. He is very excited about the opportunity!

kathy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
kitkatbahr

1999 SL2

Hi Spaz,

They were taking it to someplace near their house that does headliners professionally, so I am sure it will turn out good. It is costing them $125!! They didn't raise the cost of the car, though. They are still letting us have it for $1000! I think they could sell it for alot more, outright, but they gave us a chance at it first so we jumped on it! Family discount, ya know? LOL

Kathy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
kitkatbahr

1999 SL2

Ten more posts and I can post pictures!! Yippee!! LOL LOL

Kathy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

Wow! $125.00 is a bargain, considering that a new headliner costs approx. $426.00 not including labor. I've saved alot of money doing my own repairs but the headliner is one thing I don't look forward to doing. I would gladly pay $125.00 to have someone else do it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
kitkatbahr

1999 SL2

Quote:
Wow! $125.00 is a bargain, considering that a new headliner costs approx. $426.00 not including labor. I've saved alot of money doing my own repairs but the headliner is one thing I don't look forward to doing. I would gladly pay $125.00 to have someone else do it!
Oh my goodness!!! I had no idea the headliners could cost that much! Wow. They did get a good deal then!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
kitkatbahr

1999 SL2

My brother-in-law has been restoring cars on the side, doing mechanical work on his own cars, etc. for years now. Maybe the people doing the headliner are people he knows through the restoration stuff he does and they gave him a deal, I don't know. He has a couple of nice vehicles. He has a 64 Austin Healy, totally restored. Uses it for a daily driver right now, (along with the Saturn, to keep it running). He also has two neat old trucks that he is going to restore. One is a 53 Chevy I think, and I can't remember the other one. He built himself a really, really nice garage some years back and it is totally equipped to do just about anything he needs to do. Even painting! He figures when he retires from his job it will give him something to do. He already does it for fun, on the side, and also to keep his own cars up and running. He probably would have done the headliner himself, but he likes doing mechanical/body work type stuff better than interior stuff.

kathy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #14
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Oh, I also wanted to add, in reference to my son driving the pick-up, he turns 16 next week, on the 23rd, but won't get his actual driver's license until August 2010, as he waited until August of this year to get his learner's permit. So, he won't be driving on his own until a few months before his 17th birthday. He just finished Driver's Ed and passed with an "A", so he did good. Plus, we are giving him lots of hours driving the pick-up (mostly until we get the Saturn, and he can drive that too). He has from now til August to get his mandatory 60 hours of driving, and he is already almost there, so he will have way over what the state of Florida requires for teens to get their regular license.

He was also selected by his Driver's Ed teacher to represent his high school with the Sherriff's Department Driving event that they are having. Supposed to happen the end of this month, but has been postponed til January. They are getting teens from area schools together to "compete" in a day and a half event at a driving range near here. They get a bunch of classroom time and range time and get to do lots of fun stuff. Skid strip, defensive driving course, things like that. THey make it fun for the kids. Anyway, he was selected to represent his school. He is very excited about the opportunity!

kathy
Wow... that's very good man I wish they had these kinds of events at my high school (although we did get to goto vocational school )

also, to do your own DIY headliner replacement, wouldn't that take a day or so (based off that sunroof replacement thread we have in the how-to library)?

Oh yeah, now would be worth mentioning, we DO have a gold mine of knowledge in the how-to library, and with experts like madpogue, fdryer, low saturn, oldnuc, etc. you can never go wrong!

good luck!

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #15
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

Quote:
I think they could sell it for alot more, outright, but they gave us a chance at it first so we jumped on it! Family discount, ya know? LOL
Kathy
Yes, you got a very good deal. You're probably going to make some people jealous, myself included!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
kitkatbahr

1999 SL2

Quote:
Yes, you got a very good deal. You're probably going to make some people jealous, myself included!
Sorry Spaz! LOL Wait til you see the pictures. I only took two quick ones when I was over there on Sunday, but they show the car pretty good. It is really, really clean!

Over halfway there. I can post pics soon. Come on post #15!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #17
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

Quote:
Sorry Spaz! LOL Wait til you see the pictures. I only took two quick ones when I was over there on Sunday, but they show the car pretty good. It is really, really clean!
Just rub it in why dont'cha!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #18
kitkatbahr

1999 SL2

Quote:
Just rub it in why dont'cha!
Hey Spaz, I see you have a 1998 SL2 also. What color is yours? Hard to tell from the avatar photo but it looks green maybe? How do you like it? Any complaints for that model/year? Anything you would suggest to upgrade if any upgrades needed?

Do you have photos of yours somewhere that I could look at?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #19
kitkatbahr

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
...Oh yeah, now would be worth mentioning, we DO have a gold mine of knowledge in the how-to library, and with experts like madpogue, fdryer, low saturn, oldnuc, etc. you can never go wrong!

good luck!
Thanks for the info for the how-to library. That is always good to know about.

Kathy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #20
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

Hi Kathy! I wanted to post pictures in my gallery but it wouldn't let me. I will look for some pics and include them in a post. As far as I know, there's no problems that are specific to the 98. Other members can chime in and correct me if that's wrong. Oh, my car is white and I'm extremely happy with it!

Last edited by Spaz; 12-16-2009 at 09:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation