SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
Sempuukyaku
Sempuukyaku is on a distinguished road

Question Anyone used the Outlook navigation system yet?

Hey guys, I'm new here

I'm seriously looking at the Saturn Outlook right now for a new car....and currently it's between that and the Subaru B9 Tribeca.

From what I've been hearing and reading, the Tribeca's navigation system is TERRIBLE. The interface is poor, the screen is jaggy/hard to read, and the GPS takes you on weird-ass routes to get to your final destination. Has anyone gotten a chance to really use the Outlook's navigation system and interface? How is it?

I've test driven an Outlook XR but it didn't have navigation in it.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sempuukyaku's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sempuukyaku reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sempuukyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
hortaja
hortaja is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Anyone used the Outlook navigation system yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempuukyaku View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here

I'm seriously looking at the Saturn Outlook right now for a new car....and currently it's between that and the Subaru B9 Tribeca.

From what I've been hearing and reading, the Tribeca's navigation system is TERRIBLE. The interface is poor, the screen is jaggy/hard to read, and the GPS takes you on weird-ass routes to get to your final destination. Has anyone gotten a chance to really use the Outlook's navigation system and interface? How is it?

I've test driven an Outlook XR but it didn't have navigation in it.

Thanks.

Well I was at CES (consumer Electronics Show) in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. One of my main item to see was the Delphi booth and play with the navigation. Now to let you know my background I have used the Lexus navigation many many times. Its known to be one of the most intuitive and comprehensive to use. Also I personally have a Garmin C550 in my car and use it every day. So I do have some experience with Navigation units.

Ok I was totally blown away by how easy, intuitive, and pleasant looking the Delphi/GM navigation is. The user interface is just a pleasure to look at and work with. Extremely flexible as fas as setting and customizations. no I have no clue how good the routing it because I was standing still in the show, but being American and making an American Nav unit I would HOPE the maps are accurate.

The Nav is voice activated and touch screen which is just awesome.

Last note I have the PDF user manual for the Navigation in the Acadia which is the exact same for the Outlook and Enclave. If you want it just shoot me an email and I will reply with the attachment.

Jerry.horta@motorola.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hortaja's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hortaja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hortaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
SaturnPlanet
SaturnPlanet is on a distinguished road

it works great. one the easier ones i've used. it does offer voice recognition, and adjusting routes is quite easy to do. i tried it out at a training session for the new vehicles (including 08' vue and greenline aura).

also, on a side note, I finally got to try out OnStar's turn by turn nav. now I'll admit, at first (before I tried it) I didn't think it was a good subsitute for on screen nav, but it really is a great value if you don't feel like forking out 2k for the console nav system (plus $199 per map DVD after the initial 2 years free). it uploads voice commands (same as the console nav system) and shows the directions, distance until turn, and time gauge for approach on the radio display. plus, if you turn off your route, it will ask you if you want to be redirected, or to change your original destination.

for $100 bucks a year, I'd do it. heck, if you have OnStar I'd recommend paying the $100 just to try it out for a year while your regular services are still free. some people will still swear by the on screen nav (like I did before I tried turn by turn), but others may find it useful and affordable.

lol, that sounded like a commercial..........how lame.

We know more about what is less than ourselves, and less about what is more than ourselves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnPlanet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnPlanet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
SKYGUY10066
SKYGUY10066 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnPlanet View Post
it works great. one the easier ones i've used. it does offer voice recognition, and adjusting routes is quite easy to do. i tried it out at a training session for the new vehicles (including 08' vue and greenline aura).

also, on a side note, I finally got to try out OnStar's turn by turn nav. now I'll admit, at first (before I tried it) I didn't think it was a good subsitute for on screen nav, but it really is a great value if you don't feel like forking out 2k for the console nav system (plus $199 per map DVD after the initial 2 years free). it uploads voice commands (same as the console nav system) and shows the directions, distance until turn, and time gauge for approach on the radio display. plus, if you turn off your route, it will ask you if you want to be redirected, or to change your original destination.

for $100 bucks a year, I'd do it. heck, if you have OnStar I'd recommend paying the $100 just to try it out for a year while your regular services are still free. some people will still swear by the on screen nav (like I did before I tried turn by turn), but others may find it useful and affordable.

lol, that sounded like a commercial..........how lame.
Another Convert
TbyT is a great feature and well worth 299 a year IMO...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SKYGUY10066's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SKYGUY10066 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SKYGUY10066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Sempuukyaku

Thumbs Up Re: Anyone used the Outlook navigation system yet?

Thanks for your opinions guys. Cnet.com has reviews of the Cadillac Escalade and Chevy Tahoe....and they also said that the navigation system was great. I'd say the GM nav system is amongst the top 5 in the market (Acura/Honda is probably #1).

Hortaja, I'm shooting you an email tonight

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sempuukyaku reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
ed nunez
ed nunez is on a distinguished road

The Nav system in the Outlook/Acadia (Lambda GMT96x platforms) looks like it is supplied by Delphi, as well as some of the GMT900 (full size SUV & trucks). Denso also supplies some of the GMT900 Nav radios.

Even though the radios may look alike externally they may be manufactured by different suppliers and have different software. I know that there are differences in the electrical architecture in the Lambda's from current GM vehicles which would affect the Nav radio design.

The reason I know is because we purchased an Outlook XR FWD and I'm investigating how to add the NAV radio option since ours did not come with it and we did not want to wait to order one. I prefer the aftermarket stand alone units but my wife likes the built in unit. The info that I have so far points to a different unit that what GM has been using in the GMT900 and other vehicles.

On a radio related subject we are having problems getting the GM XM module (DRR - digital radio receiver) since it is on 'restricted' status from GM and not shipping to dealers. One can be ordered but only as a replacement for a defective unit. Our Outlook did not have that option - the other 2 XE's on the lot did but none of the XR's with the Advanced Audio System had XM, why? - and we wanted to add it but the dealer ran into problems getting the DRR. The radio has the capability to use the DRR. The DRR for the Lambda's is new and different from other GM vehicles, again due to the architecture differences - communications are now through the GM LAN interface.

Ed Nunez
2007 Outlook XR FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ed nunez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ed nunez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ed nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
KenSatrun
KenSatrun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed nunez View Post
The Nav system in the Outlook/Acadia (Lambda GMT96x platforms) looks like it is supplied by Delphi, as well as some of the GMT900 (full size SUV & trucks). Denso also supplies some of the GMT900 Nav radios.

Even though the radios may look alike externally they may be manufactured by different suppliers and have different software. I know that there are differences in the electrical architecture in the Lambda's from current GM vehicles which would affect the Nav radio design.

The reason I know is because we purchased an Outlook XR FWD and I'm investigating how to add the NAV radio option since ours did not come with it and we did not want to wait to order one. I prefer the aftermarket stand alone units but my wife likes the built in unit. The info that I have so far points to a different unit that what GM has been using in the GMT900 and other vehicles.

On a radio related subject we are having problems getting the GM XM module (DRR - digital radio receiver) since it is on 'restricted' status from GM and not shipping to dealers. One can be ordered but only as a replacement for a defective unit. Our Outlook did not have that option - the other 2 XE's on the lot did but none of the XR's with the Advanced Audio System had XM, why? - and we wanted to add it but the dealer ran into problems getting the DRR. The radio has the capability to use the DRR. The DRR for the Lambda's is new and different from other GM vehicles, again due to the architecture differences - communications are now through the GM LAN interface.

Ed Nunez
2007 Outlook XR FWD

Accessory upgrade kits for both XM and Navigation are planned. Currently saying May/June timeframe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KenSatrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KenSatrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KenSatrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
ed nunez
ed nunez is on a distinguished road

I hope it is sooner than that! I want to get the cable mess off my center console!

My daughter has XM built-in her Vibe, and I've driven rental cars with the new GM radios with built-in XM and really like the way it works. I guess we can live with the Roady2 until GM releases the upgrade kits.

I can take pictures and post my Roady2 install when I get a chance if anyone is interested.

Ed Nunez
2007 Outlook XR FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ed nunez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ed nunez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ed nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
Sempuukyaku

Well my local Saturn dealer just got a brand new, top-of-the-line Outlook XR in today WITH navigation. So I checked it out and I have a question...

Has anyone used the voice activated portion of the system yet? There's a little voice button on the steering wheel, but all that does is mute the radio. It clearly says on Saturn's website that the system is voice-activated, so I wanna know what's going on with that. I couldn't find any other buttons that would allow me to say what station for it to turn to.

Because they just got it in, they didn't have the navigation dvd yet installed.....is that possibly the reason why the voice-activation wasn't working?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #10
MrBiz
MrBiz is on a distinguished road

The following is from the Acadia User Manual, I imagine it applies to the Outlook as well.

Voice Recognition

The navigation system’s voice recognition allows for hands-free operation of the navigation system, audio system, and OnStar features. The DVD map
disc must be installed in the navigation system for voice recognition to work.

Voice recognition can be used when the ignition is on or when Retained Accessory Power (RAP) is active.

To use voice recognition, do the following:

1. Push and hold the talk symbol steering wheel control until you hear a beep. The audio system will mute.

2. Clearly state one of the commands listed on the following pages.

Helpful Hints for Stating Commands

When a multiple command is available, choose the command that best works for you.

Words that are in brackets are optional. For example, for the command Radio [band] [select] FM, stating Radio FM or Radio select FM are both valid commands.

When the system recognizes the command the system will do one of the following:

- Perform the function.
- Ask you to confirm your choice.
- Issue an error message - Did not recognize. Voice Recognition Canceled.

If the system is not yet ready, the system will display a message.

To cancel a command or if the system response does not match your verbal
command, press and hold the talk symbol button. The system will reply, -Voice Recognition Canceled

Navigation

Navigation go to [destination], navigation select: These commands instruct the system to select a destination saved under the voice tag you have stored. The system will prompt you for a destination name then wait for you to state the name. If you are not currently driving on a route, the system will automatically create the voice tag destination as the final destination. If you are currently driving on a route, the system will automatically create the voice tag destination as a stopover. Up to three stopovers can be created.

Display Commands

Use the following display commands to set the display mode.

Display [set] day [mode]: Use this command to set the display to daytime mode.

Display [set] night [mode]: Use this command to set the display to night mode.

Display [set] auto [mode]: Use this command to set the display to automatic mode. The system will change between day and night mode automatically.

System help: This command instructs the system to assist with display commands.

Radio Commands

The following are radio commands you can access by clearly stating the commands exactly as they are written.

Radio [band] [select] AM, radio [band] [select] FM, radio [band] [select] XM, radio [band] [select] satellite: These commands instruct the system to go to either the AM, FM, or XM (if equipped).

Radio [select] (frequency) AM, radio [select] (frequency) FM: These commands instruct the system to go to a specific frequency on either
AM or FM.

Radio [select] (channel) XM, radio [select] (channel) satellite: These commands instruct the system to go to a specific channel on the XM
band (if equipped).

Radio help: This command instructs the system to assist with radio commands..

CD Commands

The following are CD, MP3, and DVD commands that can be accessed by clearly stating the commands exactly as they are written.

CD, DVD, Disc: Use this command to select a CD, DVD, or disc that is currently loaded.

CD, DVD, Disc, [select] track (one, two, three, etc.): This command instructs the system to select a specific track number.

CD, DVD, Disc select next folder: Use this command to select the next folder on the MP3 or audio DVD.

CD, DVD, Disc select previous folder: Use this command to select the previous folder on the MP3 or audio DVD.

CD help, DVD help, Disc help: This command instructs the system to assist with CD and DVD commands.

Auxiliary Commands

The following auxiliary commands can be accessed by clearly stating the commands exactly as they are written. The commands are available when the auxiliary source is available.

Aux, Auxiliary: Use this command to select the auxiliary device, when a device is connected. OnStar Command

OnStar: This command instructs the system to connect to OnStar. You will enter the OnStar voice recognition system. Refer to your OnStar owner guide for more information.

Voice Help

Voice help: This command will provide a description of help commands that can be used.

Biz

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD
2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

Last edited by MrBiz; 02-05-2007 at 11:06 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrBiz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrBiz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #11
Sempuukyaku

Thumbs Up Re: Anyone used the Outlook navigation system yet?

Awesome....so I was right, the navigation DVD has to be slotted in for the voice recognition to work. Just wanted to make sure that was still a feature of the Outlook.

Thanks a TON MrBiz, much appreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!