SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
ilee
ilee is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes heater core L300

I have a 2001 L300 that the O-rings and pipes were reolaced in the heater core, now I have antifreeze running on the ground when car is runningand there is smoke coming from under the hood, I'm confused because now they say it needs a new water pump and timing belt has any one had this problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ilee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ilee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ilee is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
1stSaturnowner
1stSaturnowner is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: heater core L300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilee
I have a 2001 L300 that the O-rings and pipes were reolaced in the heater core, now I have antifreeze running on the ground when car is runningand there is smoke coming from under the hood, I'm confused because now they say it needs a new water pump and timing belt has any one had this problem?
o-ring and pipes were what?
Who said you need a new water pump and timing belt?
Please provide some details from before this happened to when you took it too the shop!!

year/make/model/engine size!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1stSaturnowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1stSaturnowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1stSaturnowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
AnotherSaturn
AnotherSaturn is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1995 SW2

How many miles on your car? Who is the "they" you speak of, a Saturn dealer?

Since it sounds like you had it looked at by a professional somewhere, I would listen to their advice. The most common coolant leak resides from a coolant hose. Both my S-series cars had the upper hose burst on me. Water pumps are also common leaks in higher mileage cars.

The water pump is located in the same compartment as the timing belt on your engine. L300s have a 3.0L V6 engine that has a timing belt as opposed to a timing chain. Service interval for this belt is every 100k. It is around $800 for belt replacement alone. Many on this board would recommend having the water pump replaced at the same time as it is only 4 more bolts once access is gained to the timing belt. A little more expensive to have both repairs done at once, but substantially less than both repairs done separately. Water pumps are almost guaranteed to fail once you start hitting the higher miles in a car.

From my understanding if a bad leak develops from the water pump, it can cause the timing belt to slip resulting in valve damage to your car (ie costly repair). Get this taken care of as soon as you can.

If you're curious to learn a little more about the engine powering your L, go to http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki...gree_V6_engine . It is a unique engine.

Hope that helps a little!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AnotherSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AnotherSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AnotherSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
1stSaturnowner

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherSaturn
How many miles on your car? Who is the "they" you speak of, a Saturn dealer?

Since it sounds like you had it looked at by a professional somewhere, I would listen to their advice. The most common coolant leak resides from a coolant hose. Both my S-series cars had the upper hose burst on me. Water pumps are also common leaks in higher mileage cars.

The water pump is located in the same compartment as the timing belt on your engine. L300s have a 3.0L V6 engine that has a timing belt as opposed to a timing chain. Service interval for this belt is every 100k. It is around $800 for belt replacement alone. Many on this board would recommend having the water pump replaced at the same time as it is only 4 more bolts once access is gained to the timing belt. A little more expensive to have both repairs done at once, but substantially less than both repairs done separately. Water pumps are almost guaranteed to fail once you start hitting the higher miles in a car.

From my understanding if a bad leak develops from the water pump, it can cause the timing belt to slip resulting in valve damage to your car (ie costly repair). Get this taken care of as soon as you can.

If you're curious to learn a little more about the engine powering your L, go to http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki...gree_V6_engine . It is a unique engine.

Hope that helps a little!
AnotherSaturn, good advice, until you got a little off-topic in the last paragraph! However, thank you for get off topic. It was very informative. Especially, the longitudital(sp!) V engines!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1stSaturnowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
ilee
ilee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stSaturnowner
o-ring and pipes were what?
Who said you need a new water pump and timing belt?
Please provide some details from before this happened to when you took it too the shop!!

year/make/model/engine size!
2001 l300 4DR V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ilee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ilee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
1stSaturnowner

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilee
2001 l300 4DR V6
Okay, thanks, did you get the new timing belt and water pump replaced?

I don't know why you would need a new timing belt, unless one of two reasons:
1)It snapped!,
2)The car's belt is showing signs of need to be replaced, or
3)It is over 100, 000 miles.

Can you tell me why you had the hoses replaced for the heater core, and who replaced them?

If you are leaking antifreeze from underneath the hood then you should be able to pinpoint were is coming from?

D.J.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!