SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2005, 09:05 PM   #1
TPFilm
TPFilm is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Saturn IONs MUST be So Bland...

...that they are used as non-descript vehicles in TV and Film production. CSI:Miami (repeat) opening sequence: yacht hits bridge, bridge begins falling apart, young couple in car can't get away, shot from overhead shows front of car... there for all the world to see: the Saturn logo. Car falls into water, interior shot: unmistakable center console. Shot from bridge, car in water: Saturn logo clearly visible, again.

So, if you drive a Saturn ION you are likely to: get killed in Russia or have your car fall into the water in Miami. You have to wonder about GM's product placement criteria (not to mention that CSI: Miami's David Caruso drives an H2.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TPFilm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TPFilm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TPFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Saturn IONs MUST be So Bland...

Nah, they're not bland, just bashed upon by both Hollywierd and the automotive press.
<--She drives a Vue in a Sonic fanfic i wrote. Don't forget the Vue in Desperate Housewives. So Saturn isn't ALWAYS covered in a negative light in stories and film. lol

-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binkybaby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binkybaby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
binkybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

I'll refrain from ranting about how much I hate CSI, but Saturns have always been used as a 'generic background car.' In commericals, TV shows, what have you. They tend to be parked in parking lots and on the street a lot in TV shows. It's been like that ever since the early S-Series, too.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:20 PM   #4
TPFilm
TPFilm is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

There is a good note to this story... "One Tree Hill" uses a V6 AWD VUE as a background vehicle in the affluent neighborhood one of the characters lives in. It is silver. If you live in or around Wilmington, NC you can drive by Screen Gems studios and see it parked in the front lot... next to a Vette and a Bettle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TPFilm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TPFilm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TPFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
Da_Rockwilder12
Da_Rockwilder12 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION Red Line
1993 SC2

There was an ION in a tire commercial I saw a couple weeks ago. They actually made it look pretty sporty, but I bet 80% of the people that saw it wouldn't know it's a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Da_Rockwilder12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Da_Rockwilder12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Da_Rockwilder12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Rockwilder12
There was an ION in a tire commercial I saw a couple weeks ago. They actually made it look pretty sporty, but I bet 80% of the people that saw it wouldn't know it's a Saturn.
I think I saw that ad you're talking about. I think it was a Firestone ad. I only saw the version of it with the Saturn ONCE, but I believe it was a silver quad coupe. They showed a good shot with the corner lamp in the center, with the car sliding around a corner. Looked great. I got so excited to see an ION in a commercial sliding around a corner like they SHOULD be doing in Saturn commercials!

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:11 PM   #7
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

I think it's the other way:
Not the TV/Movie producers want to pick which cars better suit for the background, but what car(s) they can get cheap or 'free' for their production....

Not just the showbiz, even for Car Magazine Saturn was 'generously' giving away an ION for free too! Remember that Car&Driver article where Saturn didn't want to take the ION back after the initial test-drive by the magazine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Qlara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:22 PM   #8
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

I thought this was the Vue forum......

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik
TPFilm doesn't get out [of the VUE forum] much, that's why it's in here.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 PM   #10
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFilm
So, if you drive a Saturn ION you are likely to: get killed in Russia or have your car fall into the water in Miami.
or have your car thrown into a coffee shop by Dr. Octopus.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #11
DFW_VUE
DFW_VUE is on a distinguished road

I wouldnt really be bothered by it. 90% of the population probably couldnt identify correctly a Saturn Logo. Probably more couldnt tell you what type of car it was it they couldnt read the back of it.

I am one the ones that can tell you the make and model of most cars that are following behind me at night by looking in my rearview mirror. So I, like most here are the exception.

What aggravtes me is when you hear of someone being kidnapped in a "Late model 4 Door" Is that the best they can do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DFW_VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DFW_VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DFW_VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:01 PM   #12
Vuester
Vuester is on a distinguished road

Law and Order: Criminal Intent recently had a 92 SC2 featured prominently in its opening sequence, including a dramatic close-up of the headlights closing. Before the end of the two-minute opening the car was flattened by a freight train in a suicide-death pact

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vuester's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vuester reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vuester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:37 AM   #13
uplifta
uplifta is on a distinguished road

tha ion was also in the last spiderman movie..they spidey boy & his girl were in the restaurant & a car(ion) comes flying thru the front window.....i noticed right away, but they removed the saturn logo....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to uplifta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help uplifta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
uplifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:08 AM   #14
LTS
Advanced Member
LTS is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik
Most assuredly, you are not going crazy. This is certainly something for another forum.

LTS!

<--- My avatar proves that people should be mindful of what they place on the Internet. She's gotta be proud!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LTS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LTS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LTS is offline   Reply With Quote