SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
BigD_Redline
BigD_Redline is on a distinguished road

Default Install OEM Navigation in Non Nav 08 Vue RL

Hi All,

A friend of mine recently purchased an 08 VUE RL (got a very sweet deal and rubbed it in pretty good). He got the navigation package, but tore out the navigation system to install a custom system.

He's offering me a good deal on the Nav system for my 2008 RL, which came with the stock stereo (Non-Nav, Non-premium sound).

I called up my local Saturn Dealer Service (and they have given me bad advise in the past) and they told me that the Non-Nav 08 VUE (like mine) lacks some kind of computer that would allow it to interface with the Navigation system installed in the 08 VUE RL's with nav built in. And that, because of that, the OEM nav would not work in my 08 VUE RL.

Frankly, that sounds like a load of horse***** to me, and I wanted to know if anyone had an opinion as to whether I should trust this advice, or if anyone has had experience installing an OEM nav into a non-nav 08 VUE RL.

I really want an integrated nav system that will retain all the On-star functionality and when I bought my VUE they couldn't find one for me with all the features I wanted and a nav....

Thanks in advance.

BigD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigD_Redline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigD_Redline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BigD_Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Install OEM Navigation in Non Nav 08 Vue RL

Actually, they all come from the factory stock. An outside company that is contracted with the maker then installs all the nav and rear dvd players and other stuff. When you look at the sticker and it says " Factory Installed Options", those were done by an outside vendor for the factory.

That side, you should, in theory, be able to use the factory nav system that came from your buddys car. Thing is, you have make sure you get every componant that he had including harnesses and antenna. Depending on your knowledge of the 12 volt system, it MIGHT be an easy job then again might not. There may be some programming involved also.

The reason I know this it that I used to work at the port of entry for KIAs, Mitsubishis, Mazdas, Suzukis and Isuzu chassis trucks. I used to do the installation of the factory options like remote starts, rear DVD players, factory nav systems, spoilers, the body kit on the KIA Spectra5 and others. Those all came stock and we had to cut headliners (fun )splice wires, rewire and other "fun" stuff to get those navs, sat radios, DVD players installed.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
BigD_Redline

Chillin,

Thanks for your post. I appreciate your experience with the brands that you listed, but so far I only have what the Saturn Service guy told me and I am wondering if it is a different situation for the 08 RL VUE or Saturns in general.

I know I will have to re-program the unit for my car and I will have to do that at the dealer. Depending on how much they charge, I might have them do the swap - but at this point, I am not even sure it will work because of this "computer" issue they mentioned.

Thanks again and if anyone has any other info to add, please do so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BigD_Redline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just my opinion but why would you trust your dealer to perform the work if they already admitted that it won't work? There are "geeks" and there are wannabe geeks with all that the word implies and maybe this dealer doesn't have the real tech(s) capable of this type of work. Perhaps it might help if you seek a second opinion from another dealer with your desires. You already made it simple by having the same year model and the offer to change a non-nav vehicle to one with. On top of that you're willing to have Saturn make the changes with you supplying everything needed for the changeover, minus any issues with small items that may have to be added. And as far as the missing 'computer', this may be the body control module (BCM) that you already have that integrates with On-Star and everything else - the anti-theft system, lighting, cruise control, and navigation from the radio being integrated electronically with On-Star. My knowledge of electronics can easily fit on the head of a pin with plenty of space left but this seems to be an issue between hardware and software that should be easily worked out with Saturn's Tech II equipment and technical support from GM/Saturn central. There may even be the remote possibility of having to replace your bcm with another one but I'm guessing this isn't necessary as much as it may require 'enabling' functions on your bcm and updating. Geek work. Just saying.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
gillers29
gillers29 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

Here's a link to a similar procedure I saw a while back for a Saturn Outlook. It makes me wonder if it would work for a Vue as well. I do remember though, that the Advanced Audio System and Navigation had to both be ordered, so I wonder if there is some extra computer module? Anyway, good luck with your project.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109588

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gillers29's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gillers29 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gillers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
68rustang
68rustang is on a distinguished road

I looked into the same thing when we bought my wife's RL. My dealer was very helpful. At the time we determined that the nav unit itself was a direct swap for the current one. No other wiring harnesses or anything was needed. Of course the NAV unit would have to be programmed to work with your car and that can only be done at the dealer.

I had quote with all the part numbers and everything but I can't seem to find it right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 68rustang's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 68rustang reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
68rustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillers29 View Post
Here's a link to a similar procedure I saw a while back for a Saturn Outlook. It makes me wonder if it would work for a Vue as well. I do remember though, that the Advanced Audio System and Navigation had to both be ordered, so I wonder if there is some extra computer module? Anyway, good luck with your project.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109588
That's basically how the Mazda went together when we added the nav system. It's all basically plug-n-play. So, adding a nav system to your non-nav VUE should be pretty easy provided you ave the right tools and the wife's away .

If you need tools including the wire worm, here's a link were you can get them: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/shoptools and http://www.berries.com/ (for the wife)

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
BigD_Redline

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I am going to go ahead with the Nav unit my buddy is selling me. I will probably try and do the install myself, but unfortunately the wife isn't planning to be away any time soon...so I might have to break down and take it to an audio install place that the dealer recommended.

I'll update the thread when I get the unit installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2009, 02:19 AM   #9
BigD_Redline

Anyone know if the stock radio harness will work with the Nav System for the 08 VUE?

I picked up a factory nav system (used) from a seller on eBay but he didn't have the wiring harness (just the GPS antenna.

Anybody know if the harnesses for the stock radio and the nav system are any different? Will they work interchangeably?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2009, 03:12 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does this help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08vuerl.jpg (71.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 08vuerldr.jpg (74.8 KB, 44 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
BigD_Redline

fdryer,

Thanks very much for posting that. Unfortunately it's all Greek to me. Anyone read schematic? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Does this help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
Blainey
Blainey is on a distinguished road

Curious if you have the P/N of the Nav Radio. I've searched high and low for it. Just short of calling the dealer. If I do pick one up, I want to make sure it lights up the right color. As majority of the other GM sourced radios use the green/teal interior lights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blainey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blainey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
hockeydude
hockeydude is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

I've been contemplating on doing the same thing in my '09 redline. So did it work?!? I have a connection where I can get new factory radios for cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hockeydude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hockeydude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hockeydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #14
BigD_Redline

I purchased a Saturn Vue Navigation unit from eBay that was pulled from a new 08 but I never installed it. I ended up trading in my Vue and now am putting up the Navigation Unit and GPS antennae on eBay. My buy it now price is $549 - which is pretty hard to beat given the unit retails for $2200 as an upgrade from the dealer.

My local Saturn Dealer (before they closed) was planning to install it and reprogram it for me, but I never got the chance.

Here is my eBay auction if anyone is interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_637wt_1167

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #15
brocco61
brocco61 is on a distinguished road

hi i installed two of them no problem the antenna goes in the center of the dash and getm it reprogrammed .. if in the nyc area i have a guy who will vin program it for you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brocco61's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brocco61 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brocco61 is offline   Reply With Quote