SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2
Default Manual mirrors to factory power mirrors

I’ve been slowly working at this project since September but I’ve finally wired up power mirrors in a Saturn that didn’t come with them. I wanted OE power mirrors but I didn’t want to loose the storage spot in the center console. I don’t have power locks either and the power mirror switch happens to fit perfectly in their spot on the door handle. Kind of.
F975377D-82D0-4695-8BC1-6CB892F3A451.jpg

The mirror buttons fit just about perfectly in the space for the door locks. The
Plastic housing was too big however. Luckily, the board the buttons sit on doesn’t take up all the extra space. I trimmed the plastic as much as I could without hitting the board on either side. I cut pretty much everything off the power lock trim as well except for the boarder and the tabs that hold it in. (I forgot to take a pic of it after...)
5E4D094B-03EA-43BE-A2C0-03E354189449.jpgC3AD0355-DDAD-4C67-B764-55E754D5D056.jpg220B139F-4ECA-4770-868E-FBA7F5D6B952.jpgB6A7EFA7-807C-48EC-AE6D-D0FA82CC534D.jpg

I covered up the top and bottom with some spare plastic and held everything together with a lot of JB Weld. . It took a lot of sanding after to get it all to fit in the door handle. I could paint it all black, but it looks normal from the outside, so I’m not worried about it.
748ED5EF-C740-4821-A562-BF15D58CAA97.jpgC549B108-0E2C-445F-B063-D06A40FDC19F.jpg

I ended up pulling the wiring I needed out of a 3rd gen so that I could have power mirrors on both sides. 1st and 2nd gens only Have power passenger mirrors. Running all the wires through the door tube took a while to figure out and I didn’t want to try and take off the door panel, so the tube was pretty hard to get off. Since the switch was now on the door rather than the center console, half the wires had to be extended, and half of them had to be shortened. That part was pretty easy though. I didn’t want to have to take apart the factory fuse box, or figure out hot to properly add the mirrors to it so I added them on to my auxiliary fuse box from my power outlet project. I added another relay to so that the mirrors only work with the key set to run. The wiring looks messy (and it kinda is..) but it fits behind the drivers side kick panel and I’ve never had a problem with it while driving.
7E416F53-6CB1-467A-BB3D-6434FA33A4F2.jpg2F972A82-B8C2-41EC-89AC-9344743DCD5C.jpg7978DBDA-2EF3-4443-A8C1-D7A049E171FD.jpg

I took a short video of it working. I’m surprised the buttons didn’t break with how many times I had it taken apart. https://youtu.be/C_frQziwqaU

I’m planning on getting a remote starter soon, so that will probably be the next electrical project for the Saturn

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Manual mirrors to factory power mirrors

Way to go, got it done !!!
Great thought, planning and perseverance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:21 AM   #3
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Very cool!

I've been wanting to put a power mirror on my driver's side in my 98 SL2 somehow eventually... Have always thought it was dumb that the passenger side is power but the driver's side is manual with the little nipple sticking out of the door to move it lol.

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:51 AM   #4
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Gold_Uranus View Post
Have always thought it was dumb that the passenger side is power but the driver's side is manual with the little nipple sticking out of the door to move it lol.
I prefer the nipple. One less electrical doodad to fail. Would be hard to reach cross cockpit to get the passenger side though. I like the design!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Many years ago, when I was a kid, I seem to remember a car that had a little joystick for the mirrors, and I believe it was all mechanical. I'm thinking maybe a pair of cables. I don't recall if each front door had one, or if the passenger door mirror control was centrally located. It may have been my grandparents 78/79 Olds Delta 88. My grandmother's 84 Buick LeSabre may have had something like that too, but I think that was electric.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Slightly off topic, but I used to tow gliders with a Piper Pawnee ag plane. It had a mirror so you could keep an eye on the glider. I had picked up a mechanical remote control mirror and wanted to put it on. Would have been a great setup.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ I've seen snapshots of fighter jets with curved mirrors inside canopies but never seen or know of rear view mirrors on airplanes until now. It's amusing yet practical when towing gliders to be able to look back. With all the aerodynamics airplanes have, an outside(?) rear view mirror is an oddity that brings a smile. Seriously now, is it mounted outside and bullet, rectangular F1 or broad flat plate truck style?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #8
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

On a Pawnee, aerodynamics is not much of a consideration. The super cub would have a mirror inside to look back through the skylight.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, a Pawnee airplane version of a John Deere tractor with wings...... aerodynamics an afterthought to deliver chemicals, a bomber for farm crops. Ugly like the A-10 Warthog yet beautiful for its designed purpose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #10
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I prefer the nipple. One less electrical doodad to fail. Would be hard to reach cross cockpit to get the passenger side though. I like the design!
I suppose having the adjustment nipple/knob is better than having to roll the window down and push the mirror into position by hand...

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:25 PM   #11
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Positioning the mirrors by hand is honestly easier than using the stick to adjust them. The driver side one is 3 inches away from the mirror itself and the passenger side doesnít even have one...

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles