SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 09:37 AM   #1
Hank3
Hank3 is on a distinguished road

Default Help with stereo install...

Hi everyone - first off, I don't personally own a Saturn, but a good friend of mine does. She has a Saturn SC2 (I think a MY99 - it has the third door on the driver's side that opens the opposite way the driver's side door does). I found a great deal for a Kenwood CD player for her and would like to install it for her. I don't have an abundant amount of knowledge with installing stereo, but I feel that I'm capable of doing this install. She currently has a single din Alpine stereo with tape player --- my question is, what will I need to get to do the install? Do I need to tell her to get another harness at Best Buy or a car stereo shop or can I use the harness form the Alpine stereo. What wires will I need to cut off to install the Kenwood CD player? Also, how do I go abouts taking off the panels to get to the stereo? Any other assistance that would help me out would be great. She's been waiting patiently for this to be installed since I got it for her last week, but instead of waiting for osmeone else to do it, I decided to step up to the plate, but now I want to make sure I install it correctly, but at the same time not look a fool while installing it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hank3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hank3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2003, 10:02 AM   #2
bbriand
bbriand is on a distinguished road

Well on my SC2 (2001) I removed the panel behind the steering wheel (I think there were 2 small bolts holding it). Then the front panel just pops out with a bit of pressure. I carefully work my way around the entire front panel. Then drop the steering wheel all the way down and carefully pull the panel out.

I would think that unless the harness already in there is some Alpine speciality setup it should work fine for the Kenwood deck. A few bolts later you should be able to get it apart.

Now for the fun part: wiring. Unless you have a spare car you may need to drive to walmart or something with her car like this. No big deal.

If the person who installed the Alpine deck used a wiring harness then go to Walmart and rig a new one up on the Kenwood. If the person just spliced wires then if you have the Alpine's manual make note of all the connections (what color they are and what they represent). Now wire the Kenwood up the same way. You can solder them but crimp connectors work just as well.

If you don't have the Alpine's manual then before you start all this go to your Saturn dealer and ask for a copy of the wiring for the stereo (mine allowed me to do this no questions but I hear some Saturn retailers are picky about this). It just so happens that there is a kind of unofficial (maybe official) wiring specification that my '01 SC2 followed. So the wiring for my Saturn matched what the instructions for my Alpine amp and later Clarion Deck said the colours should be. That was sweet!

This is by no means a complete guide but it should get you going.

Good luck being the hero for this girl

Bill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbriand's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbriand reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2003, 10:15 AM   #3
Hank3

Dizzy

Hehehe - thanks for the vote of confidence Bill. A few more questions. Ok, the taking off the panel part will be easy enough as I have done that enough times with my WRX, former Xterra, and some other cars.

So let's say she does have a harness currently for the Alpine. I should not use it anymore? What did you mean by rig up a new one for the Kenwood? As far as my harness knowledge goes, this is what I gather --- I know that there will be an end that goes to the GM OEM harness and then one end into the Alpine stereo. Basically two plugs with wires in between it correct? Now we are we to assume that we can or can't just leave one end of the harness connected to the GM end and then just plug in the end that went into the Alpine into the Kenwood player? Or should I simply tell her to go get a new harness (two ends with wires between them) and then plug one end into the GM harness and then one into the Kenwood? Is it that simple or do I have it completely wrong?

BTW - she does have the Alpine manual...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hank3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2003, 10:34 AM   #4
Hank3

Red Face Some more info I neglected...

I forgot to mention something. The person I bought the Kenwood from left the plug that goes into the Kenwood in it. So basically, there's one end of a Kenwood specific harness plugged into the player right now, but the wires have been cut.

I just called Circuit City and they have three models of Kenwood specific harnesses that plugs into the Kenwood and the other end is universal. Wouldn't that harness make things a lot easier as I would just plug one end into the Kenwood and then the other end into the GM harness?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2003, 10:35 AM   #5
bbriand

I sorta used harness twice there in two different contexts. The first time I was speaking of the mounting bracket that holds the stereo in place. Unless it is an Alpine specific mount (which I would doubt) then you should be able to reuse it. If you have to buy a new mounting bracket I bought one for $25 Cdn for my car - so they are cheap.

Well I have to admit that I've never used a wiring harness for my install in the Saturn for various reasons. The most dominate one is even if I wanted to use a wiring harness I was unable to find one for my car locally.

What I did is removed my stock CD player and set it aside to be put back in if I sell the car. I then verified all the wires I needed with a multimeter (for power and ignition lines and a 9volt battery (for verifying speakers) and the cars wiring diagram that I had (the multi meter was more for a double check). If they don't match the wiring colors stated for your Kenwood then write down which colors would connect it to the cars wires.

Then I just snipped the wires I needed - leaving enough room on the stock plug side to crimp them all back together (again in case I sell my car). I crimped my decks wires directly to the wires I just snipped and stripped. I left the other wires that were there alone.

You may also need an antennae adapter (I didn't for my car though). They are cheap (should run you around $15 Cdn).

Oh since she does have the Alpine manual you could match the colors from your Kenwoods manual to the Alpines to get the proper wiring colors for her car from the way the Alpine is wired.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I have a feeling that the Alpine probably does not have a wiring harness and just uses crimped connections - just a hunch.

Bill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bbriand reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2003, 10:38 AM   #6
bbriand

As long as the Alpine used a wiring harness then yeah you should get the Kenwood to GM stock harness end. That might save some troubles. There are a lot of factors dependant on the wiring setup of the Alpine.

You could always buy the harness and return it if you can't use it. That would save you from driving a car around with no front dash!

Good luck,
Bill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2003, 10:59 AM   #7
bbarbulo
Advanced Member
bbarbulo is on a distinguished road

depends on how the alpine was installed... if the factory plug was cut, then just buy a Kenwood plug and splice the wires in using crimp connectors. If the factory harness was not originally cut, then buy a connector for it (GM connector, I think they are all the same)... then while out of the car, splice the purchased OEM plug with the Kenwood plug, and plug it all in... voila option two is soo much easier, I do this all the time, I never cut the harness, but sometimes, you don't know what ppl have done before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbarbulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbarbulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2003, 11:04 AM   #8
Hank3

Thanks a bunch Bill. Let's just hope that the Alpine used a harness, so I can just use the one from Circuit City. If not, I'll just save the install for another hero

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2003, 11:09 AM   #9
bbarbulo
Advanced Member

even if the wires were cut, it's not that hard... black is ground, red is switched power, yellow is constant power, orange is illumination, and white, purple, gray, and green are standard speaker colours... you can test which is which by hooking up power and connecting one speaker at a time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bbarbulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2003, 02:26 PM   #10
Hank3

Strip the covering from the wires, splice them together and then use a crimp connector?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2003, 03:44 PM   #11
bbarbulo
Advanced Member

yup, that's the idea... if you had the old stereo, it would have the wiring diagram on the back of it, or if you had a manual with electrical diagrams, it'd be easy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2003, 03:58 PM   #12
Hank3

Easy is the theme for tonight - I'll post back tonight to let let you know how things went. Thanks again Bill!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2003, 11:38 PM   #13
Hank3

Well - it was a hacked up job and upon further review of my friend's Saturn, we've decided to go a different route. She's gonna get a Alpine CD changer to go with her deck. nNyone want a used Kenwood CD player? Thanks again for all the help - y'all have a nice board here, but I think I'll migrate back to my Subaru board...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread