SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Thundercat
Thundercat is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SC2
Question Stereo Install, 04 Vue

So I want to swap out the factory deck for a new Kenwood model. I went to my local Best Buy/Future Shop to pick up the stereo, and was told that I needed to purchase a harness for $150. They told me it was due to air bag, warning chime, and a few other electronics being routed through the system. I believe him to be full of crap, but I'm wondering what anyone else has found during stereo swaps. I was also told that if I don't purchase this $150 adapter harness, my air bags are likely to go off at an unexpected time.
I'm going to contact my local Saturn dealer tomorrow, but I've had difficulty getting tech info out of them in the past.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thundercat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thundercat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Stereo Install, 04 Vue

Go to crutchfield.com and outfit your VUE. They do not mention anything unusual necessary for your 2004 VUE.

Tell the "stereo jockey" to verify this. My 2006 VUE has the CAN network wiring and the steering wheel controls ran to the radio, yours do not. I seriously doubt you need an expensive interface...

Why not do it your self and get a self install kit from Crutchfield?

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Thundercat
Thundercat is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SC2

I have full intention of doing this all myself. I was floored by the fact that when I went in there last week, I was told there was an option of 2 different harnesses, retailing for about $16.99. Today I was told $150.....yah right.
I'll check out crutchfield, thanks for the tip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thundercat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thundercat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

04 does not need the fancy class 2 harness. It uses the same plug but without a data network. One of the very, very few.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FGCA_XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FGCA_XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I installed a Pioneer stereo in my '04. No fancy harness, no airbags deployed so far- stereo has been installed for about......3.5-4 years.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
ryanB3
ryanB3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercat View Post
I believe him to be full of crap
He's full of crap. The Vue wiring harness is extremely simple. Something to look out for though is the pinout being incorrect as it was on the "made for Saturns" harness I got from Crutchfield. It was simple to remove the wires from the harness and use the old one as a guide for their locations. Buy the bracket from Crutchfield if you like the idea of your new stereo fitting into the dash properly.

http://gallery.mac.com/ryan42#100091...&bgcolor=black

It's a shame I don't have a photo of it in the daytime. It's been installed in my '04 since I took to removing my Deep Purple CD from the stock unit with a pry bar after it decided to arbitrarily short out the + to the ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ryanB3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ryanB3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ryanB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

If you get a Panasonic radio you won't need a wiring harness at all, if you have the same CD player as mine. Single DIN base CD player. It comes with a GM to Panasonic plug on it already.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FGCA_XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FGCA_XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote