SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
officialdelano
officialdelano is on a distinguished road

Wrench Wtf...running hot!

Okay guys, my 96 sl1 is running hot. The weird thing is that it only runs hot while I'm driving with the AC turned on. I pretty much changed the whole cooling system... water pump, radiator, and thermostat. I also changed the temperature sensor an AC condenser. I feel like I'm chasing a ghost....SOMEBODY HELP PLEASE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to officialdelano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help officialdelano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
officialdelano is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Wtf...running hot!

Describe HOT in detail, where exactly is the needle pointing? HOT is 3/4 or above.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
officialdelano

Question Re: Wtf...running hot!

Yup 3/4 and on into the red. Then I turn off the AC pull over and it goes right back to the middle. Now before I changed the AC condenser and the radiator it would jump to hot a lot faster. Now it takes a little while longer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help officialdelano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Where are you located and who charged the A/C system? Are you driving in city stop and go traffic?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
officialdelano

Dizzy Re: Wtf...running hot!

Texas. Funny thing is when I'm idling it all goes back so stop and go traffic doesn't affect it as much as highway driving. Or at least it only has ran hot during highway driving. Once I put on the condenser I charge the AC system myself. Put a vacuum on it let it sit for a while, a while being 30 minutes to make sure I don't have any leaks. Then added the recommended amount of freon for my vehicle with a minimal amount of oil and a small amount of dye

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The symptoms are an overcharge of gas or oil. The system is sensitive to both excess refrigerant and/or oil. The gas charge should have been 24 oz into the evacuated system. I would suspect it is too much oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
officialdelano

Question Re: Wtf...running hot!

What would be the reason behind that not being a symptom while the vehicle is idle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does your cooling fan run? With force or just turns? Prematurely wearing out in Texas heat may be your problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
officialdelano

Yeah I forgot to mention I change the cooling fan 3 weeks ago. And it blows pretty hard no pun intended

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by officialdelano View Post
What would be the reason behind that not being a symptom while the vehicle is idle?
Lower compressor RPM and much lower A/C efficiency. If you are blowing ice at idle then oil is probably the issue. How much total volume did you add including the dye when you charged it up? Did you flush out the system before evacuating?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Any chance the fan is running backwards?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
officialdelano

24 oz of freon and only 1 oz of oil. I'm pretty sure the fan is running correctly. Its blowing air into the engine pretty hard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #13
officialdelano

About the same amount of dye. Didn't flush just evac....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #14
guyg
guyg will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
2007 VUE 3.5L

Fender liners and air dam in place?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
officialdelano

Fender liners are in place. I'm not sure what the air dam is? Hey if the fan was turning backwards so to speak would it run hot at idle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It may and maybe not. The only way to check air flow is to turn on a/c and check it with your hand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #17
officialdelano

Right now I have my AC on full blast in my vehicles are running about 20 minutes and it's still under midway on the temperature gauge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #18
guyg
guyg will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
2007 VUE 3.5L

Air dam May not be the correct term but the spring loaded "spoiler" on bottom front of car. Have seen in previous threads this should be in place for proper cooling.

Maybe a long shot but the condenser coil is not icing up during a highway run?

Last edited by guyg; 08-10-2015 at 08:47 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The air dam is for low speed cooling on the gen-1 cars, does little to nothing for gen 2 and 3.

High speed overheat is not caused by not having the air dam.

Unless you rewired the fan it is turning the correct direction.

If you are running at 75 mph or greater the fan is shut off by the PCM as it serves no purpose.

If the A/C compressor is not unloading then the engine will probably overheat in Texas. It is either oil or compressor not unloading.

You can test unload by finding a nice place where you can drive at 45mph with the a/c off and then switch it on with blower on 5. You should feel the a/c load the engine and if you hold the throttle constant once cold air is issuing out the vent you will feel that a/c load drop way off. If it does not then it is not unloading

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #20
officialdelano

Dizzy Re: Wtf...running hot!

Okay so my compressor is working I can feel it I unloading and my AC is getting cold. There was a plastic funnel looking piece right in front of the condenser which wasn't appropriately secured so I tighten it down. That did not solve my problem I'm still running hot only when I'm driving and my AC is on... Not while I'm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!