SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 01:46 AM   #1
ExNorth
ExNorth has a spectacular aura aboutExNorth has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL1
1999 SL2
Default Anybody have a dashcam? How to?

I've recently bought a Saturn and would like to install a dashcam in my car for insurance and liability reasons but I don't see any power ports I can use. Does anyone have any idea how to get a dashcam working in these cars?

I drive a 1997 SL1 SOHC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ExNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ExNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ExNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2015, 04:53 AM   #2
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2
Default Re: Anybody have a dashcam? How to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNorth View Post
I've recently bought a Saturn and would like to install a dashcam in my car for insurance and liability reasons but I don't see any power ports I can use. Does anyone have any idea how to get a dashcam working in these cars?

I drive a 1997 SL1 SOHC.
Power has to come from the battery, current wiring can't support additional constant loads.

'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
ExNorth

1997 SL1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wi111y View Post
Power has to come from the battery, current wiring can't support additional constant loads.
I was thinking of possibly removing the cig-lighter and seeing if it's possible to wire in a power port in its place. The thing is that I am not sure what power it provides to the cig-lighter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ExNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
I was thinking of possibly removing the cig-lighter and seeing if it's possible to wire in a power port in its place. The thing is that I am not sure what power it provides to the cig-lighter.
Be advised that the Einsteins put the cig lighter on the same fragile circuit as the fuel pump
Wire to the battery. Post pictures and I will follow your lead an install one in my car

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

I wired up a two outlet power port and mounted it on the passenger side of the center console, looks pretty good and powers the camera and sailfawn charger. The ground is tied into the brackets under the radio and the power source comes straight off the uhjb positive post. Same line powers the radio and a few other not-stock loads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
When the car exhibits signs of being possessed by ghosts with a bad attitude you will know why.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
jsevinsk
Advanced Member
jsevinsk is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L

I have to believe that a dashcam will use a tiny amount of power. Can you mount it to the windshield with a suction cup (or whatever) near the mirror and run a wire to the dome light?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsevinsk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsevinsk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jsevinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The DOME Light is powered from the exact same fragile circuit as the lighter socket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
ExNorth

1997 SL1
1999 SL2

To anybody that's interested, I found a nice and easy guide on how to install a power source by connecting it to a modified fuse that plugs in to the fuse box. I think I will go with this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #10
ExNorth

1997 SL1
1999 SL2

http://thedashcamstore.com/installation-kits/

-Not sure which kit will work best for my car.

http://thedashcamstore.com/advanced-...-installation/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
To anybody that's interested, I found a nice and easy guide on how to install a power source by connecting it to a modified fuse that plugs in to the fuse box. I think I will go with this.
There are no circuits in that fuse box that will long tolerate any additional load.

Either one of those is a 1 amp continuous load on the circuit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #12
ExNorth

1997 SL1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
There are no circuits in that fuse box that will long tolerate any additional load.

Either one of those is a 1 amp continuous load on the circuit.
So I guess the only option is to tap in to an existing wire? These power sources are only 5V, which isn't much but how many amps? I'm not an electrical engineer haha.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You run a new wire to the battery. Search above will bring up several lengthy posts on exactly how to do this so you can have all your toys and not have electrical isues. If you are using the lighter socket for chargers you are already working on a failure. The car does not run without a running fuel pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #14
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
...If you are using the lighter socket for chargers you are already working on a failure. The car does not run without a running fuel pump.
It took years for this to sink in. I had been running my Windows 95 ThinkPad with diagnostics off the cigarette lighter socket.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spy Cameras shown on the DashCam Store:
When running direct to the battery, the key on, camera on feature will not work will it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...and, I say to everyone again. If you are perturbed by tailgaters, then a camera looking rearward will make life care-free

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:05 AM   #15
jculver09
jculver09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
It took years for this to sink in. I had been running my Windows 95 ThinkPad with diagnostics off the cigarette lighter socket.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spy Cameras shown on the DashCam Store:
When running direct to the battery, the key on, camera on feature will not work will it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...and, I say to everyone again. If you are perturbed by tailgaters, then a camera looking rearward will make life care-free
You are correct, your key on camera on function will not work. This is most easily replaced by plugging and unplugging the camera.

However, if you run the wire from the battery through a relay that is controlled by a line that is only powered on through ignition then you can have this functionality without plugging and unplugging the cord. I wonder if you could use the radios power on signal wire for this purpose? I dont think the relay would add too much load to this line, solid state would probably be a good choice.

If this function is truly a must have then this is where I would start; in summary: Hot wire from battery to relay, relay signal on wire tied into the radios signal on wire, grounds to frame, hot wire from relay to 5v transformer for camera. The rest is plug an play. If you need I could draw you a basic diagram and help you pick a relay. Cost for this will be on par with their kit, and will not lead to demonic possession in your cars electrical system.

Disclaimer: I am no electirician, just a certified redneck with some small idea of how electricity works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jculver09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jculver09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jculver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #16
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member
ajs_saturn will become famous soon enoughajs_saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
2001 SC1

I ran a 12 gauge wire from my battery to the interior of my car. Then in the footwell area, I wired up a relay to that wire, which is triggered by the accessory wire on my ignition. Inline with this, I installed a 5 amp ATC fuse. I have more than just the dashcam wired up to this wire though including a secondary USB charge port and multi-display in a custom overhead console I made. However, after all of this, it's nice that things power on when I turn the key.

2001 SL1 5spd - DOHC swap and MS in the works
Bought 02/27/14

2000 SL 5spd
Bought 04/05/05
Sold 06/14/10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ajs_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ajs_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ajs_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote