SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
GuadaThaEMC
GuadaThaEMC is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Question 2000 SL1 overheating, dumped over $300 in it to no avail.

Please help, my 2000 Sl1 started overheating recently. I replaced the thermostat, no fix, then water pump and belt, still no good, then ECTS, Upper Radiator hose, and rerouted the heater lines to bypass the heater core after coolant started dumping into the passenger floorboard. Still no good... I still seem to have leaking in the cab, driver side has coolant on the floorboard as well. Its not as much as before I rerouted the lines, maybe just emptying the heater core?
The car still overheats, when I purchased the car, the previous owner had the fan wired to a switch so if the car got to 3/4 he would flip it on, so that's what I was doing up until now. So the fan isn't the problem either. I noticed the car started leaking coolant onto the ground like crazy, its possible I cracked the reservoir when I disconnected it to clean it out and flush all the old coolant out. Now after driving a couple of miles it will start to overheat and when I stop I hear a bunch of steam being released from the reservoir I believe. I am going to replace the reservoir, I'm hoping this fixes it finally, anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks yall!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GuadaThaEMC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GuadaThaEMC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GuadaThaEMC is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
lowflyer
lowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to all

2001 SWP
2000 SWP
Default Re: 2000 SL1 overheating, dumped over $300 in it to no avail.

throwing parts at it won't help unless your lucky enough to guess the right thing. it's possible the tank is cracked, but why not open the hood, and see where the fluid is coming out? the fan may have quit working as well. no way for coolant to get inside other than the hvac system, so any coolant on floorboard is just leftover in the core.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lowflyer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lowflyer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

When you stated the PO had installed a manual switch for the cooling fan, my reaction Oh, oh. You also seem to have deviated from stock by re-routing pipework, etc and the car is now a distance away from how the factory designed it to operate.

Forum member will generally give advice on stock issues. Once you have gone 'custom', it's a whole new ball game, because what's been done on that car is unique to that car only, so advice becomes guesswork.

A car runs on its cooling system. If it goes kaput, then it won't be long before the engine follows it and the car becomes nothing more than a big sea anchor.

My advice would be to try and get the cooling system, including the heater core back to stock. Solving issues then becomes a whole lot easier for everyone.

There are many reasons a cooling system can overheat and blow coolant. The radiator could be bad, the hoses could be blocked or have collapsed internally, clamps can be loose or lost their grip. The thermostat from what I know will usually fail 'failsafe', in that it fails open. That means the engine will tend to run cooler. If the Tstat sticks closed then the hot coolant in the engine block never gets out to the radiator to cool down and you overheat. The water pump if bad will not circulate coolant and you will overheat.

If the cooling system is totally pressurized, then the expansion tank will have a pressure cap as distinct from a simple screw cap. Those pressurized caps can and do go bad.

A pressurized system allows the coolant to get hotter than boiling point by raising the pressure. If you get a leak, the pressure drops and hot coolant will simply try its best to escape. Antifreeze molecules are smaller than water molecules so can find much smaller gaps to leak through than just plain water. So anything that's cracked, has holes in, etc will leak coolant. Sadly, Plastic and Rubber parts do not not get better with age!

So stand back, take a deep breath and check the whole system piece by piece.
Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Are you getting coolant flow at the deaeration/return line? Should be a healthy stream.

At the top/rear of the coolant reservoir on the passenger side, there is a small black hose that runs back to the firewall, along it, then back to the engine. If no flow, check for blockage in the line and at the engine side of the line.

Diagram/description in post 11, here
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124722

Are you sure the water pump is actually working? Check that area for leaks. May need to remove the passenger tire and splash shield to get a good look

no sense in replacing the reservoir right now, unless it is leaking. It is nothing but a plastic container with a float /sensor in it.

I'm assuming you can hear the fan turn on when you flip the switch? you can feel the air when standing outside the car, hood up (check for damaged fan blades)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

I didn't see mention of radiator replaced, or pressure tested, rodded and cleaned.

If the heater core was so bad it puked, how much better can the radiator be?

The coolant, or rusty water, looked like what before all this started?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote