SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
silversaturn2
silversaturn2 is on a distinguished road

Default Light, white smoke from under hood when car is warmed up to normal temperature

2000 Saturn SL1

After I've been driving for about 15 - 20 minutes, the car will be at the normal temperature and I will start to get a small amount of white smoke that seems to come from behind the valve cover. The smoke is so thin that I can't seem to pinpoint where it's coming from.

It also seems to be hotter than normal when I open the hood. It will run for awhile, go slightly above the midway point on temp gauge, then the fan kicks on and drops it back to normal. It doesn't seem to really overheat -- the fan kicks on when it actually goes above the middle, though.

New thermostat, water pump, coolant is good (coolant level light is stuck on, though). Seems to run pretty well overall. Sometimes has low power when going up a hill, but if I step accelerate harder, it gets more power.

Only code is p0717 which I am almost certain is unrelated to this problem. I think that's from the previous owner putting a different year transmission in it.

Thanks in advance for any help, it's really appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversaturn2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversaturn2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversaturn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Light, white smoke from under hood when car is warmed up to normal temperature

Are you sure it is smoke? What do you see if you go and open the hood? The P717 is Transmission sped sensor low input to PCM. This is the sensor next to the transmission oil filter. This is potentially leaking or the filter is leaking and that is what you are seeing as the ATF is running onto the exhaust. Get under the hood ad do some serious looking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
silversaturn2
silversaturn2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Light, white smoke from under hood when car is warmed up to normal temperature

Can you clarify what you mean by if I'm sure it's smoke or not? Is there something else I could be mistaking it for?

When I open the hood, I smell what I associate with the car being slightly overheated -- almost an electrical or burning smell, but the temperature is normal. Also, I don't really see anything out of sorts except for a very faint haze of white / translucent smoke. The smoke is kind of a cloud in there and I can't seem to pinpoint the origin.

Also, I never thought of that the leak. I'll take a look into that. As soon as you mentioned it, I did realize I've had a slow trans fluid leak for some time now, but I've never thought much of it.

As an aside, in your experience, do you think the temperature gauge is working as expected? Where the car goes a little past the center mark and then kicks the fan on?

Thanks for your response! I'll take a look and come back with some answers.

Meanwhile, any other suggestions are appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversaturn2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversaturn2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversaturn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversaturn2 View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by if I'm sure it's smoke or not? Is there something else I could be mistaking it for?
Steam from a coolant leak, probably not though.

When I open the hood, I smell what I associate with the car being slightly overheated -- almost an electrical or burning smell, but the temperature is normal. Also, I don't really see anything out of sorts except for a very faint haze of white / translucent smoke. The smoke is kind of a cloud in there and I can't seem to pinpoint the origin.
Sounds like ATF on the exhaust. Also there should be a small rubber hose running from the cam cover to the air inlet tube, is it there?

Also, I never thought of that the leak. I'll take a look into that. As soon as you mentioned it, I did realize I've had a slow trans fluid leak for some time now, but I've never thought much of it.
Sounds like the Turbine speed sensor or oil filter is leaking.

As an aside, in your experience, do you think the temperature gauge is working as expected? Where the car goes a little past the center mark and then kicks the fan on?
Sounds about right

Look for a leak and find some pictures of what your year car looks like under the hood and make sure that you have all the small hoses present.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
SL Racer
SL Racer has a spectacular aura aboutSL Racer has a spectacular aura aboutSL Racer has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversaturn2 View Post

The temperature gauge thing is normal. Yes, I know it's weird as every other car I've owned has maintained a steady temperature. You'd figure the thermostat would do its job better in maintaining a steady temp, but it seems it's not the case with the Saturn's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL Racer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL Racer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL Racer is offline   Reply With Quote