SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
DEugene
DEugene will become famous soon enoughDEugene will become famous soon enough

Default Squeaky Clutch when Over 80 Degrees

I have a '98 SC2 and the clutch pedal squeaks very badly when the outside temperature gets over 80 degrees....no other time..... I've looked for remedies, and applied some of them, but to no luck...... ANY idea to how remedy this frustrating problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DEugene's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DEugene reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: Squeaky Clutch when Over 80 Degrees

I recently popped my clutch pedal off and greased the pivots. No more squeak.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Have you put a small dab of sil;icone grease on the push rod where it enters the master cylinder on the fire wall? Much easier than disassembling the pedal to lube the plastic bushings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEugene View Post
I've looked for remedies, and applied some of them
How many guesses do we get, to try and figure out which ones you've already tried, so we don't suggest them again?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
DEugene

Thanks for the great advice everyone.... I would have never thought about using lubricants on it again for the dozen and a half times I've put every lubricant known to man on every piece of the clutch mechanism..... IF that was the problem, then it would happen basically at all temperatures..... this only occurs when the outdoor temperature is above 80 degrees and at no other time...... I just thought someone might have run into this problem before despite all the grease that can be put on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DEugene reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If it is not the boot squeaking you have to dismantle the assembly so the inside of the bushing can be cleaned and lubed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #7
DEugene

Why does it only do it when it's over 80 degrees and no other time??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
jasenpeters
jasenpeters is a jewel in the roughjasenpeters is a jewel in the roughjasenpeters is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If it is not the boot squeaking you have to dismantle the assembly so the inside of the bushing can be cleaned and lubed.

Clutch Hydralic System - Annotated - SF.jpg

OldNuc, in the picture, what part needs cleaning and lubed?
Is it the part labeled Rubber Boot?

The "Plastic Housing" part is fixed to the unit pretty tight.

If it's the part labelled "Rubber Boot", that seems to be pretty tight inside
the plastic housing.

Can the plunger be removed to make it easier to clean and re-lube the boot?

Any advice is always appreciated.

Re-Animated: 2015-08-18, 220,497 + 21,000 Miles
1996 SC2 DOHC, Manual, 220k, 36mpg Hwy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jasenpeters's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jasenpeters reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jasenpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, take a q-tip and roll it in a finger full of Sil-Glide and then wipe on the rod in front of that rubber boot. Cover about 1/2" of the rod length al the way around.

Cheap dielectric grease will also work but not as long as the Sil-Glide. If that does not fix it then you will be dismantling the clutch-brake shaft and that requires removing the dash top cover and dropping the steering wheel to get it all apart unless you are real small.

Rod does not come out of the cylinder. The assembly can be removed from the firewall if you disconnect the rod from the clutch pedal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #10
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Yes, take a q-tip and roll it in a finger full of Sil-Glide and then wipe on the rod in front of that rubber boot. Cover about 1/2" of the rod length al the way around.

Cheap dielectric grease will also work but not as long as the Sil-Glide. If that does not fix it then you will be dismantling the clutch-brake shaft and that requires removing the dash top cover and dropping the steering wheel to get it all apart unless you are real small.

Rod does not come out of the cylinder. The assembly can be removed from the firewall if you disconnect the rod from the clutch pedal.
I found that the best way to get to the clutch and brake pivot rods is to actually remove the front seat and lay down on your back with your head under the dash. I am about 5'11" and 150lbs and it was not a tight fit at all, just need a few different size extensions and a deep socket, as well as some patience. Cooler weather helps too, I did it in a sealed up car at the jy in 90f heat, and it was not fun.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #11
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

I tried everything under the sun to get my 98 to stop squeaking.

Finally I replaced the clutch master slave assembly, squeak gone...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #12
jasenpeters
jasenpeters is a jewel in the roughjasenpeters is a jewel in the roughjasenpeters is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Update:
Tonight (July 16, 2018), I injected about 6 cc(mL) (0.2 oz.) of NAPA Sil-Glyde Lubricating Compound (from a 4oz. tube),
inside the boot of the clutch push rod / pedal mechanism located under the steering column and dash board of the car.

I used a 3cc syringe (w/ plastic tip for feeding small animals) and a 12" clear stiff plastic tube.
The long plastic tube was attached to the tip of the syringe.
This made it a bit easier to work under the steering column.
Clutch Hydralic System - Injection Tool - SF.jpg

The other side of the long tube was cut at a 45 deg angle (or more) so that it
could slip under the rubber boot where the boot meets the push rod.
Clutch Hydralic System - Injection Tip - SF.jpg

Make sure to inject with the clutch pedal pushed in. You can do it with arm strength.
This will guarantee that the lubricant contacts the inner walls where the inner plunger cylinder slides against.
Clutch Hydralic System - Injection Point - SF.jpg

After a 10 mile drive, there were no squeaks whatsoever.

I'll report any further squeaking, if and when it returns...

(All pix are from another unit I have, no need to remove the unit from the car.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jasenpeters reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2018, 10:43 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Sil-Glide is very handy stuff to have available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2018, 11:35 PM   #14
jasenpeters

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Sil-Glide is very handy stuff to have available.
Thanks to you, I have some left over from the re-build....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2018, 12:57 AM   #15
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenpeters View Post
Update:
Tonight (July 16, 2018), I injected about 6 cc(mL) (0.2 oz.) of NAPA Sil-Glyde Lubricating Compound (from a 4oz. tube),
inside the boot of the clutch push rod / pedal mechanism located under the steering column and dash board of the car.

I used a 3cc syringe (w/ plastic tip for feeding small animals) and a 12" clear stiff plastic tube.
The long plastic tube was attached to the tip of the syringe.
This made it a bit easier to work under the steering column.
Attachment 53629

The other side of the long tube was cut at a 45 deg angle (or more) so that it
could slip under the rubber boot where the boot meets the push rod.
Attachment 53630

Make sure to inject with the clutch pedal pushed in. You can do it with arm strength.
This will guarantee that the lubricant contacts the inner walls where the inner plunger cylinder slides against.
Attachment 53631

After a 10 mile drive, there were no squeaks whatsoever.

I'll report any further squeaking, if and when it returns...

(All pix are from another unit I have, no need to remove the unit from the car.)
Thanks so much for this post! My clutch also squeaks like crazy above 80F. I had initially lubed the pedal linkage, but that didn't help at all. Then I tried applying some Teflon grease to the pushrod with it extended. I assumed that depressing the clutch would work itself in past the boot. No difference!

I was thinking I'd have to replace the clutch hydraulics, but the job is pretty nasty when it's hot outside and when it gets cooler, the problem completely disappears. Weird!?!

Looks like I'll need to get aggressive about injecting Sylglide behind the boot with the pedal depressed. Thanks for the new tip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #16
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Great pictures! I hope the OP is still checking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenpeters View Post
Thanks to you, I have some left over from the re-build....
Same here, thanks to OldNuc, I have all sorts of cool stuff left over that I use for various projects, or stuff that I will buy for new projects.

Syl Glide, acetone, Hylomar, etc.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:57 PM   #17
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Here's a handy youtube post of a squeaky/annoying clutch cylinder that was very similar to my issue. Again, my symptoms were the same as this thread -- issue only happened ABOVE 80F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAgZyNLYN8A

I applied Sylglide twice. First time, I just injected it behind the rubber boot protecting the piston at the firewall -- but didn't depress the clutch halfway. No real change.

Second time, I first braced the clutch pedal against the seat frame with two boards and a clamp (made the pedal movement adjustable). Then I injected Sylglide with a small syringe and worked the pedal back and forth a few times. The problem was immediately cured.

I'll repost if the noise comes back, but if this means several summers of quiet shifting, it's well worth the time and saves time on the fun of replacing the clutch hydraulics.

THANK YOU JASENPETERS!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:18 PM   #18
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

Same exact scenario, here.

I never knew the temperature at which the squeaking started, but I know that it only happens on warmer days.

I think the "trigger temperature" on mine is a bit higher than 80. If it began squeaking anytime the temperature reached 80 I'd be hearing it half the year, here (which I'm, not).

I'm not too agile when it comes to laying on my back under the dash, so I'll just tune the squeaking out as it's more an annoyance than anything else.

If it causes a bigger problem, down the road, I'll have someone deal with it then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:19 PM   #19
jasenpeters

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

hholbein: "THANK YOU JASENPETERS!!!!"

I stand on the shoulders of giants.....just payin' it forward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!