SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #1
DrHax
Junior Member
DrHax is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Default 2002 sc2 leaking automatic transmission

Hello I am working on my friends 2002 sc2 saturn. Well he came to me with a leak. I found out the oil cooler lines were leaking. We replaced the lines/ We drained the system replaced the filter filled it up with new fluid to have it draining from the bottom of the transmission at the spot between the bell housing and the engine. Its the very bottom.

So I'm trying to figure out exactly just what it can be, and can not be. What we should we be doing next.

I can remove the transaxle assembly. I've done engine swaps on other cars, so I have the tools. We just need to figure out what to look for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrHax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrHax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,550
Default Re: 2002 sc2 leaking automatic transmission

I sounds like it could be the "diff pin" has come loose; search on this forum and you will find many threads relating to that pin. It is a near-fatal condition for the trans, you will need replacement from a JY if that pin has come loose. Unless you know a good welder, and even then the trans axle has to come out and be substantially dis-assembled.

You can check that pin by removing the vehicle speed sensor (VSS), a fairly easy job. That inspection is outlined in some of those threads you will find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:36 AM   #3
DrHax
Junior Member
DrHax is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Default Re: 2002 sc2 leaking automatic transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I sounds like it could be the "diff pin" has come loose; search on this forum and you will find many threads relating to that pin. It is a near-fatal condition for the trans, you will need replacement from a JY if that pin has come loose. Unless you know a good welder, and even then the trans axle has to come out and be substantially dis-assembled.

You can check that pin by removing the vehicle speed sensor (VSS), a fairly easy job. That inspection is outlined in some of those threads you will find.
what metal is the transmission I'm a certified welder. Is there any chance its a seal of some sort? Either way it sounds like the transmission has to come out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrHax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrHax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:50 AM   #4
Mike R
Member
Mike R is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 69

2001 SL1
2000 SL2
Default Re: 2002 sc2 leaking automatic transmission

When my diff pin came out the only thing I welded was the pin to the carrier. The groove/hole in the case was repaired with JB Weld, three years and not a drip. Was told by my buddy the Dodge mechanic to repair it like this, he said it was a common problem and that was how Chrysler had them do it ( the case not the welded pin)

...
2001 SL1 5 speed
2000 SL2 Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:16 AM   #5
1996SW2
Member
1996SW2 is on a distinguished road
 
1996SW2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: N. Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 109

1996 SW2
2000 SW2
Default Re: 2002 sc2 leaking automatic transmission

Maybe you pured too fast into the funnel and air bubbles broke the seal from dip stick tube and funnel. Resulting mess was about a half court on the floor. luckily I still had a drip pan under. This was, literally, 10min ago

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:22 AM   #6
DrHax
Junior Member
DrHax is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Default Re: 2002 sc2 leaking automatic transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
When my diff pin came out the only thing I welded was the pin to the carrier. The groove/hole in the case was repaired with JB Weld, three years and not a drip. Was told by my buddy the Dodge mechanic to repair it like this, he said it was a common problem and that was how Chrysler had them do it ( the case not the welded pin)
Cool good to know. So even if it is this dreaded pin thing I think I should be able to fix it. that would be good news for my buddy as he's flat out broke. He needs this car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrHax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrHax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,550
Default Re: 2002 sc2 leaking automatic transmission

Personally, I wouldn't weld the diff pin; I would put in the bigger spiral type spring pin. However, I can believe welding the diff pin can work in most (all?) failures of this type.

The welding I'm talking about is repair of the trans case/bell-housing. Whether you can patch it with epoxy or FRP depends on how bad it is damaged. Inspection of this particular one is needed to determine how bad it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
DrHax
Junior Member
DrHax is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Default Re: 2002 sc2 leaking automatic transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Personally, I wouldn't weld the diff pin; I would put in the bigger spiral type spring pin. However, I can believe welding the diff pin can work in most (all?) failures of this type.

The welding I'm talking about is repair of the trans case/bell-housing. Whether you can patch it with epoxy or FRP depends on how bad it is damaged. Inspection of this particular one is needed to determine how bad it is.
I'm presuming the case is a cast aluminum. Which is a challenge to weld.

I suspect the hole if there is small.

Welding the diff pin I don't think is going to be too challenging.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrHax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrHax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
alordofchaos
Super Member
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of
 
alordofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central MI
Posts: 12,038
 

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 2002 sc2 leaking automatic transmission

I haven't been under the car in a long time, but make sure of where the leak actually is - it will drip down to a low spot. Some leaks have been simple overfills (auto trans fluid should be at the halfway mark on the dipstick when hot, not at the top of the hashes).

Double check the filter, too, for leaks. Could blow back when driving and end up down there

...
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Leavittsburg, OH
Posts: 2,950

1995 SC2
Default Re: 2002 sc2 leaking automatic transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Hello I am working on my friends 2002 sc2 saturn. Well he came to me with a leak. I found out the oil cooler lines were leaking. We replaced the lines/ We drained the system replaced the filter filled it up with new fluid to have it draining from the bottom of the transmission at the spot between the bell housing and the engine. Its the very bottom.

So I'm trying to figure out exactly just what it can be, and can not be. What we should we be doing next.

I can remove the transaxle assembly. I've done engine swaps on other cars, so I have the tools. We just need to figure out what to look for.
Has this car had the engine recently pulled out if it for any reason?

It sounds like another possible cause of THIS leak is the front seal to the transmission.

Removing the engine and movement of the torque converter can cause this seal to leak when the engine is reinstalled.

The fluid will leak at the lowest point in the bell housing, which there is an aluminum bracket in that area, that bolts to the bottom of the block.

I have seen photos of a thrown differential pin, on Sixthsphere's Facebook page. The differential pin causing a leak will be obvious.

...
"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

Last edited by Saturn Night; 07-15-2018 at 11:59 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002 Vue 3.0L V6 AWD automatic transmission fluid Jackdude9998 Vue General 2 05-14-2018 12:52 PM
How and where can i find a 2002 sc2 automatic transmission Dakota Rockwell S-Series Tech 4 11-09-2014 04:55 PM
1999 saturn sl2 rebuilt automatic transmission leaking fluid ahyat S-Series Tech 12 08-26-2014 09:05 AM
1995 SL2 Automatic Transmission leaking? KingRex S-Series Tech 6 02-17-2009 04:57 PM
2002 SL2 Automatic Transmission Problems leia99 S-Series Tech 4 12-11-2007 06:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.