SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
hrod
hrod is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
1998 SL2
Default 08 Aura XR strut & tower brace recommendations

My wife's XR has almost 140k on it now and overdue for struts. On Rockauto they offer 3 choices: Monroe, KYB and GM assemblies. Which one would you go with an why? Also, I was considering adding a strut tower brace while I was at it. Got any recommendations?

Thanks
hrod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hrod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hrod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hrod is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
explorerbigjon
explorerbigjon will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: 08 Aura XR strut & tower brace recommendations

I've heard KYB is a good alternative to OEM struts. But for the most similar ride qualities to be retained I would stick with GM struts. And there are a couple options for strut tower braces, a GM brace and an aftermarket brace. I have installed the GMPP strut tower brace that is equipped on the Malibu SS. I went to my local GM dealer and ordered it with this Part #15286584. It may run you a little over $130-140.

I've seen the aftermarket braces, they are nice and cost a third less but I got the OEM GMPP brace for the OEM equipment factor.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5-Sport tuning T10 wheels-Dynomax bullet/Borla ProXS-eBay intake-Pioneer Premier 12 shallow mount/Kicker CXA600.1
Upgrades coming!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to explorerbigjon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help explorerbigjon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
explorerbigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
BaristAura
BaristAura is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
2008 AURA XE

For the strut tower bar I went with the one from Racingline Performance. It costs $80 + shipping I believe. It's worked great for me over the least 4 years. I installed my new struts in December. I went with the koni yellows following theshibbykumquat's how to on the g6performance forum. It was time consuming but not at all difficult and definitely worth it if you value performance suspension. I imagine I have the only aura with the koni yellows

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BaristAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BaristAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BaristAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
hrod

2008 AURA XR
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaristAura View Post
For the strut tower bar I went with the one from Racingline Performance. It costs $80 + shipping I believe. It's worked great for me over the least 4 years. I installed my new struts in December. I went with the koni yellows following theshibbykumquat's how to on the g6performance forum. It was time consuming but not at all difficult and definitely worth it if you value performance suspension. I imagine I have the only aura with the koni yellows
Thanks for the strut tower bar recommendation BaristAura. I went to their website and found some pretty bad reviews about the company though. Customers were complaining about slow deliveries or not getting product after paying for them. I contacted them to ask a couple of questions as it is not apparent how to order from them. They are in Canada and you have to call, I think. Anyway here is a link for their bar if others are interested:

http://www.racinglineperformance.com...?idCategory=40

Seems like G6 strut bars will work but there is a question as to whether they will rub the hood or not on a Aura.

As far as strut recommendations go, I should have mentioned that a new car ride is what I'm after, nothing lowered or firmer as this is a daily driver for my wife and I don't want rear wheel rub when loaded with rear passengers or cargo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hrod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hrod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
ddb
ddb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrod View Post
My wife's XR has almost 140k on it now and overdue for struts. On Rockauto they offer 3 choices: Monroe, KYB, and GM assemblies. Which one would you go with an why? Also, I was considering adding a strut tower brace while I was at it. Got any recommendations?

Thanks
hrod
I have Monroe, I bought complete assemblies, I also have aftermarket rims and tires 45 so it feels different and therefore can't really compare Monroe feels just fine. I will change them again this year and will put the same ones Monroe 172xxx something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
hrod

2008 AURA XR
1998 SL2

Quote:
Thanks for the strut tower bar recommendation BaristAura. I went to their website and found some pretty bad reviews about the company though. Customers were complaining about slow deliveries or not getting product after paying for them. I contacted them to ask a couple of questions as it is not apparent how to order from them. They are in Canada and you have to call, I think. Anyway here is a link for their bar if others are interested:

http://www.racinglineperformance.com...?idCategory=40

Seems like G6 strut bars will work but there is a question as to whether they will rub the hood or not on a Aura.

As far as strut recommendations go, I should have mentioned that a new car ride is what I'm after, nothing lowered or firmer as this is a daily driver for my wife and I don't want rear wheel rub when loaded with rear passengers or cargo.
Here is an update on the Raceline Performance strut tower brace. I couldn't reach them by phone or email and it turns out they have gone out of business. Here is the link on their website that states so:http://www.racinglineperformance.com...t.asp?idpage=5

I ended up ordering KYB struts and shocks. Waiting for delivery now. I'll reply back when I have them installed. Still can't make up my mind on a strut brace. Seems like the only option is the GM one for a Malibu that some say rubs the hood and I don't want that. Any other ideas on a brace?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hrod's Reputation
Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 PM   #7
hrod

2008 AURA XR
1998 SL2

Quote:
Here is an update on the Raceline Performance strut tower brace. I couldn't reach them by phone or email and it turns out they have gone out of business. Here is the link on their website that states so:http://www.racinglineperformance.com...t.asp?idpage=5

I ended up ordering KYB struts and shocks. Waiting for delivery now. I'll reply back when I have them installed. Still can't make up my mind on a strut brace. Seems like the only option is the GM one for a Malibu that some say rubs the hood and I don't want that. Any other ideas on a brace?
I almost forgot to reply back after my repairs. I put a new power steering pump; KYB shocks and struts plus assemblies; new Bosch brake pads and rotors; and a Megan Racing strut tower brace. The strut tower is for a Pontiac G6 but I called them and they assured me it would fit an Aura without interference so I bought it on eBay for $85. I had to remove a grounding point on the drivers side strut tower but it fit well other than that. All ended well with no more PS whine or brake squeak. I tried to include a few photos but I guess the files are too large.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hrod's Reputation
Old 08-13-2018, 02:05 AM   #8
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR

I just installed one of these from Megan Racing, it was $85 delivered and bolted right up to my 2007 Aura XR-hood closes perfectly, and it is a nice looking bar. It is listed as being for a G6 but it has a hole for the negative ground strap that goes on the driver side strutt tower. Will see how it feels tomorrow, but fits perfectly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmtphoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmtphoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote