SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Jzguru
Jzguru is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Sorry but we'll definitely be better off w/o GM

I just took my car for its "6,000" mile service to my local Saturn dealership. As I pulled up, I read that instead of "Saturn of Fremont" it now read "Chevrolet of Fremont"... So i toured the facilities and felt downright duddy at seeing Chevy cars on display instead of the beautiful Astras and VUE's I was used to seeing. So the service guy (He was new) was on the phone... Five minutes later he mutters "Someone will be with you in a bit." So fifteen minutes (no exaggeration) Someone else walks by and asks "Have u been helped". To which the guy that originally stated "Someone will be with u..." turns around and says "Oh yeah he needs help" So I found out the old service reps that take ur info down for maintenance got replaced by the GM guys... To be fair, the second guy was real helpful...HOWEVER I am meticulously upkeeping my Saturn Astra and can't wait for Saturn to become a separate entity... I swear I WILL NOT purchase a GM product ever again... It is a disfunctional family from the top on down. I know it may sound unfair BUT i'm just used to the Saturn reps going out of their way to provide world class customer service. I am not used to this..

"I don't understand why people would want to get rid of pigeons. They don't bother no one." (Mike Tyson).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jzguru's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jzguru reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jzguru is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
KillerX
KillerX is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Sorry but we'll definitely be better off w/o GM

I totally agree with you,when will GM realize, the Astra didnt 100% sell me, the customer service had some to do with it as well.

Brad

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KillerX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KillerX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KillerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
bone151
bone151 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Assuming Opel doesn't separate from GM, Astra, Vue or Sky will probably not be going to Saturn. What's wrong with a Chevy Astra anyhow? They're still built in Belgium.

the future is now...

http://www.astrasedan.com.mx/

From what I saw on the website, there's no hatchback; perhaps they're preparing for the restyled Chevy Astra hatch.

The Saturn that was isn't. I loved the concept, but once GM leashed the brand... way back when... it became another Pontiac, Chevy, Olds, GMC or Cadillac.

Cool website though! Eh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bone151's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bone151 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bone151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

The Chevy Sedan is built in Poland though. Maybe thats why it's not offered, you know, americans forgetting about Poland...

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEL Blitz View Post
The Chevy Sedan is built in Poland though. Maybe thats why it's not offered, you know, americans forgetting about Poland...
this too! :-)

http://wardsauto.com/ar/astra_output_poland/

btw - I LOVE Polish girls!

http://guidetodetailing.com/imageview.php?imageId=211

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzguru View Post
I just took my car for its "6,000" mile service to my local Saturn dealership. As I pulled up, I read that instead of "Saturn of Fremont" it now read "Chevrolet of Fremont"... So i toured the facilities and felt downright duddy at seeing Chevy cars on display instead of the beautiful Astras and VUE's I was used to seeing. So the service guy (He was new) was on the phone... Five minutes later he mutters "Someone will be with you in a bit." So fifteen minutes (no exaggeration) Someone else walks by and asks "Have u been helped". To which the guy that originally stated "Someone will be with u..." turns around and says "Oh yeah he needs help" So I found out the old service reps that take ur info down for maintenance got replaced by the GM guys... To be fair, the second guy was real helpful...HOWEVER I am meticulously upkeeping my Saturn Astra and can't wait for Saturn to become a separate entity... I swear I WILL NOT purchase a GM product ever again... It is a disfunctional family from the top on down. I know it may sound unfair BUT i'm just used to the Saturn reps going out of their way to provide world class customer service. I am not used to this..
So you are going to base your entire opinion of GM dealers and their products off of one crappy dealership? You people are funny

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
Jzguru

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
So you are going to base your entire opinion of GM dealers and their products off of one crappy dealership? You people are funny
Uhmm yeah pretty much! However, for accuracy sakes, Most chevy vehicles I see come across as bland and outdated. Place an Astra next to a Cobalt anyday and 10 out of 10, for me, that Astra will always catch my eye. Even a car like the Aura and Malibu which share the same platform, I will always find appeal for the Aura. When I go to Vegas I see a line of a thousand Malibu taxis waiting outside the Mirage or Bellagio. What's the appeal in that. So once again, to be fair, the first time I took my car to be serviced by a Saturn dealership I found exceptional service... The first time I took my car to be serviced by its generic GM replacement I found it to be abhorrent. Combine that with absolutely no aesthetic passion for any of GM's cars (outside of possibly the G8 GT and of course the Saturn lineups), AND u pretty much have somebody that willNEVER invest back into the GM Lineup... SO to answer your question I base that decision on so much more than a miserable experience for servicing...

"I don't understand why people would want to get rid of pigeons. They don't bother no one." (Mike Tyson).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jzguru reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
s-seriesguy

Quote:
Uhmm yeah pretty much! However, for accuracy sakes, Most chevy vehicles I see come across as bland and outdated. Place an Astra next to a Cobalt anyday and 10 out of 10, for me, that Astra will always catch my eye. Even a car like the Aura and Malibu which share the same platform, I will always find appeal for the Aura. When I go to Vegas I see a line of a thousand Malibu taxis waiting outside the Mirage or Bellagio. What's the appeal in that. So once again, to be fair, the first time I took my car to be serviced by a Saturn dealership I found exceptional service... The first time I took my car to be serviced by its generic GM replacement I found it to be abhorrent. Combine that with absolutely no aesthetic passion for any of GM's cars (outside of possibly the G8 GT and of course the Saturn lineups), AND u pretty much have somebody that willNEVER invest back into the GM Lineup... SO to answer your question I base that decision on so much more than a miserable experience for servicing...
So if your experinece was so crappy like you said, why didn't you bring it to the attention of the manager of the dealership?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #9
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

10 out of 10 I'll take the Cobalt SS sedan over any astra hatchback with any engine in it. GM should have never force fed SATURN the astra, it was a mistake from the word go as I said before the car hit the ground in North America. Go back and read my old old posts. We can't get rid of the ASTRAs on the lot, I hope they do a buy one get one free thing. Buy an Aura get an astra free, buy a VUE get an astra free, buy a SKY get an astra free, buy an OUTLOOK get an astra free.

Last edited by SaturnSdn; 04-05-2009 at 12:12 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
Jzguru

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
So if your experinece was so crappy like you said, why didn't you bring it to the attention of the manager of the dealership?
Really no need FOR U SEE I drove 33 miles to get my vehicle serviced at that specific Saturn dealership (Thats where I bought my vehicle from) HOWEVER now I have the incentive of going to my Saturn dealership/service center about 2 1/2 miles away from my Home. My complaint has nothing to do with wanting to continue to do business with the now defunct former Saturn dealership/service center 33 miles away. The solution to my complaint simply translates to NO longer taking my vehicle to that specific Chevrolet dealership. How much of a clearer voice can that be. Your suggestion is an excellent one and duly noted though

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #11
journeyforce
journeyforce is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

You speak a measure of truth in your post.

Up until the 1970's GM was very diverse, each division (Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick and Cadillac) had different engines (made in house) and different styles of vehicles. In the late 1970's and early 1980's GM decided that to recoup some of the money lost on unsold vehicles due to the oil crisis, that they would simply make cooperate engines which would be shared amongst the divisions instead of engines made by each of the divisions (with exceptions of course)

Then they started badge engineering, so that most of the cars made for a division( for example Pontiac) look just like the ones from the other divisions. This caused them to lose their identity. For example take the Cadillac Cimarron, this piece of crap was nothing but a gussied up Cavalier with a price tag of $5000-$7000 more. GM actually thought that possible buyers of BMW 3 series and Benz 190E(or D) were going to buy this trash instead. (Granted the Caddy's competitor Lincoln was selling a rebadged T-Bird model called the Mark VII (LSC), but unlike the Cimarron, the Mark VII was an aggressive looking and worthy car)

Thanks to GM tinkering with Cadillac in the 1980's and 1990's and creating Cimarron, Catera and the 4.1l V8(cracked heads and intake) it pretty much destroyed the division for years (I don't consider the V8-6-4 Caddy engine a failure, had the engine been released 5- 10 years later with the advent of better on board computers and fuel injection, it would have been a big hit, it was sadly a few years ahead of time)

Then there is my favorite, the killing off of Oldsmobile which was one of the oldest brands of car in the world. You can trace GM's demise back to 2000 when they announced the killing off of Oldsmobile which was an iconic brand that was allowed to go into decline while GM concentrated on making bigger SUV's

As an Oldsmobile fan and owner (1972 Cutlass) I will never ever forgive GM for simply tossing Oldsmobile callously in the dumpster.

In the 1990's GM had a winner with Saturn and promoted Saturn as a different kind of Car and had home coming's every year.GM learned lessons on manufacturer from the Japanese in their NUMMI plant (joint Toyota-GM owned) and it was stylistically different from any other car on the road then but then their over reliance on SUV's caused Saturn to not be promoted well anymore.

In the late 1970's and early 1980's Japanese car makers started to lead the US Market with cheap and reliable cars (something that was unheard of with the Big Three at the time),because of politics, they started making cars in the USA with American workers.20 to 30 years later, Japanese cars made by American workers in the USA are of world class quality and folks are willing to spend more on a Accord or Camry then a Ford or GM product because they view them as being more reliable and have a higher value.

Alot of folks I know have started to ask how and why Big Three products made by Americans suffer from poor reliability when Honda and Toyota products made also by Americans, have great records of reliability and high resale. You will find that a lot of folks would like to strictly buy American when it comes to cars but after having to deal with endless trips to the repair shop and other things, simply go out and get a Honda. because of less trouble to upkeep it. It only takes one bad car experence to sour the company in the eyes of a customer and drive them away.

In my own case, I had had a GM car that was nothing but trouble from day one and when it came time to buy another car I simply went into a Honda dealer and bought a Honda and simply put it has been the best car I have owned in relation to cost of owning and repair hassle.

In short GM have to do 3 things to survive:

1. Properly market products
2. Make them reliable
3. Stop making and selling the same model car for every division(If somebody is not going to buy certain Chevy model, they are unlikely to buy the same car rebadged as a Buick)

Cheers

L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to journeyforce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help journeyforce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
journeyforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:08 AM   #12
s-seriesguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
10 out of 10 I'll take the Cobalt SS sedan over any astra hatchback with any engine in it.
Same here even if looks like the plain base Cobalt sedans from the front doors back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
GM Sky Man
GM Sky Man is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

If you think GM (or Chevy) dealership service is bad, then perhaps you need to step into an export dealership for service. Most of them do not even care you have a car there needing service. Their whole mentality is, "Hey you bought this car, we service it for you at OUR pace, and then charge you up the nose for the parts."

And when did we start transitioning the Saturn SALES kum-bai-yah experience over to supendious service? Having owned numerous GM brands (Saturn, Pontiac, Olds, and Chevy), I can burst your bubble and state that the service department in ANY of these brands can be good or bad depending on the people hired to run the dealership and the managment team running the show.

You have to remember that these dealerships are FRANCHISED. GM people do not run them. Joe Smith hired off the street works there. So if the dealership managment team does not install customer satisfaction in their employees, NO area in the dealership will be fine. Don't blame the company that makes the cars for the lowsy way fat-cat dealership owners run a business.

The only time I have seen dealerships get scared about customer satisfaction is when you buy a new car. If you are not "Completely Satisfied", GM can leverage penalties against that dealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GM Sky Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GM Sky Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GM Sky Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
JoeyD
JoeyD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post

2. Make them reliable
3. Stop making and selling the same model car for every division(If somebody is not going to buy certain Chevy model, they are unlikely to buy the same car rebadged as a Buick)
+1

This whole mess about whether or not Saturn will survive and the Chevy Astra and cars made in Poland has me looking at getting a different car.

'08 Astra XR 5
Twilight Blue, Sport Handling Pckg,
Sunroof, 5-speed

'03 Yukon XL SLT
It's big...let's leave it at that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JoeyD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JoeyD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JoeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
the bolded statement in the quote is your first mistake.

taking a vehicle back to the dealer is IMO the dumbest thing you can do. I've heard WAAY too many horror stories (even one from you guys's precious imports, though to be fair it was a Hyundai.) My friend, you have just shared another one.

seriously, even Firestone can provide waay better service than the dealer. and this is coming from someone who hates Firestone with a burning hot passion.

On another note, do GM vehicles STILL come with Firestone by default? my spare tire is still a Firestone after all these years. when I get the money I'm changing it to something else.

I know I know, if it ain't broke don't fix it, and it's just a spare. I just hate Firestone. BADLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post

2. Make them reliable
This can actually apply to anyone else who rips off/badge engineers vehicles (I'm looking at Ford and Chrysler mostly here.)

Seriously, if you wanna ripoff/badge engineer so badly, at least do it to your brands that aren't readily available in an area (eg: for GM, no Opel, Vauxhall, and Daewoo in the US, and when and if Chrysler merges with Fiat, there's already little to no Fiats in the US anyway, so..)

Last edited by adventureoflink; 04-06-2009 at 11:41 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #16
Adam Opel
Adam Opel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
+1

This whole mess about whether or not Saturn will survive and the Chevy Astra and cars made in Poland has me looking at getting a different car.
JoeyD, if you are sceptical about Poland, but if you already have an Astra, get ready for this:
your engine- made in Hungary
your tires - made in Slovenia
your ECU - made in the Czech Rep
your radio - Portugal
seatbelts - Poland (I wouldn't trust them)
man. transmission - Austria
The list goes on an on, it's like the Unated Nations.
Ironically, the only part made in Japan is actually the worst - the auto transmission.

I will not miss GM, it got way too complacent and arrogant, but I think all the other makers are guilty of it, too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Adam Opel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Adam Opel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Adam Opel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #17
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

I believe you were being ironic now Adam about the seatbelts. At least I hope so. The airbag control unit is from Mexico, and it's quite safe.

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #18
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
10 out of 10 I'll take the Cobalt SS sedan over any astra hatchback with any engine in it. GM should have never force fed SATURN the astra, it was a mistake from the word go as I said before the car hit the ground in North America.
This would be one of the rare times I would have to disagree with you. I feel GM's biggest mistake was to import the Astra here, and also they should have included a sedan and wagon version here as well. Limiting a car to just one variant was a mistake, and importing it was another huge one. If it was built locally (to the same specs) and having hatchback, sedan and wagon versions here, it would have appealed to alot more people. Take, for instance, VW for example. They have the golf for hatch lovers, the jetta for sedan lovers and for some time, the jetta wagon for those needing more utility. Worked well for them, but you know GM, they thought the Astra sedan would cannabalize the cobalt/G5 sedan sales, so that's probably why they didn't bring it over.

To me, the cobalt SS sedan, while it does look nice, doesn't have an upscale feel to it, definitely not as refined as an Astra inside or out, the 5 speed feels notchy and not firm (same feel as my ION sedan's 5 speed), and is not a premium feeling car whatsoever, whereas the Astra is. Personally, I'd rather have a premium feeling vehicle than one that isn't. While I loved my old ION, it was getting tiresome driving an otherwise boring vehicle, except that I modded mine the way I liked it to be, so it wasn't quite as boring.

I look forward to owning an Astra in the future, although right now, I'm enjoying my Vue.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, not discrediting my ION at all, as it served me very well over the 4 years I had it. The ION/Cobalt/G5 are excellent cars that serve their intended purpose very well, but if GM imported the cobalt/G5 over to Europe, the perception of GM would further itself into the toilet.

Last edited by saturnd00d; 04-07-2009 at 10:58 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #19
journeyforce
journeyforce is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Hello,

With me, I donít really care where a car is made as long as it is reliable. I am anal when it comes to properly maintaining my car, but I should think a car should be capable to simply be driven more then a few miles with out breaking. In my last GM car I bought it brand new and it went back to the dealer 6 times in two months for various repairs.

As for the Cobalt, this is a nice enough car and one of GMís best sellers.But they are going to kill it off for a new model with a new name plate. GM should simply revise the Cobalt. I never understood the Domestic Auto Makers urge to let a vehicle stagnate for 6 or 7 years in the same body style while a lot of imports refresh or come out with a new version every 4 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to journeyforce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help journeyforce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
journeyforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #20
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

I agree, first of all, I'm also not sure why GM seems to do that lately, where they just use the same model for 6-7 years in a row, with little to no updates, then turn around with a new replacement along with a new name. How can the public build up brand/model awareness if they keep changing the names?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote