SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
PIIYM
PIIYM is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Default 700kms and check engine light

Ok now I might be regreting buying a GM product! Love the car but this isnt a good start LOL

Just sold a 8 year old VW cause I was sick of Check engine lights. Used Onstar and they said it was a fuel cap code. Considering there was a quarter tank left and hadnt got gas since the weekend I knew it wasnt a loose cap, however I checked it out again anyway and all is good on that front. Id say it is a defective cap or filler neck problem as I have seen on the board. I have had the car a week yesterday and really dont want to have it in the shop and have to mess around dropping it off and picking it up and having a rental car etc...... Just venting, should have kept the TDI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PIIYM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PIIYM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PIIYM is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Teh_Freak
Teh_Freak is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 700kms and check engine light

It's probably just the filler neck, it takes all of a couple hours (I think) to get this done at the dealership; time went by quick when I got mine done though, what with all the reading I was doing.

-- Jon --
Red 2008 Saturn Astra XR3 (2008 - 2012 RIP) :(
Black 1987 Porsche 944
Blue 2012 Ford Focus (On Order)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teh_Freak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teh_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
planetauto49251
planetauto49251 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Hate to brake it to you but that car is more of a VW than it is a GM. Loved working on saturns for the past 12 years but hate the astra. Mostly just cause it is new. It will probly grow on me I guess. It is most likely the fill neck. make an appointment with your local dealer and I am sure they will get you in and out quickly and painlessly after all that is what saturn is all about is customer satisfaction. it is a relatively quick repair

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to planetauto49251's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help planetauto49251 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
planetauto49251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
jojowasher
jojowasher is on a distinguished road

ya, happened to me after a couple months, dealer replaced the filler neck and the gas cap, and nothing since.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jojowasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jojowasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jojowasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIIYM View Post

Ok now I might be regreting buying a GM product! Love the car but this isnt a good start LOL

Just sold a 8 year old VW cause I was sick of Check engine lights. Used Onstar and they said it was a fuel cap code. Considering there was a quarter tank left and hadnt got gas since the weekend I knew it wasnt a loose cap, however I checked it out again anyway and all is good on that front. Id say it is a defective cap or filler neck problem as I have seen on the board. I have had the car a week yesterday and really dont want to have it in the shop and have to mess around dropping it off and picking it up and having a rental car etc...... Just venting, should have kept the TDI
I dumped a 9 year old VW due to numerous expensive trips to the shop. If you got out of your before dumping a ton of money into it be thankful.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
Sirraven
Sirraven is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Im almost at 17000 miles and thats the only problem I have had. Brought it into the shop hour or 2 later with a new filler neck, I was out of the shop and have put many more happy problem free miles. My light came on at 6150 miles.

08 Saturn Astra
5dr XR Twilight Blue
-Manual Transmission
-Advanced Audio Pkg
-Sport Handling Pkg
-Dual Panel Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sirraven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sirraven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sirraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Jzguru
Jzguru is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Common problem! Take it in have them replace the filler neck and gas cap and You should be as good as new (which ur car is). I say a good 50 percent of us have had the same problem and it is a recall item

"I don't understand why people would want to get rid of pigeons. They don't bother no one." (Mike Tyson).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jzguru's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jzguru reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jzguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
Jzguru
Jzguru is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

[QUOTE=PIIYM;1415157]

...And the regret part is very common. I regreted buying my Astra too when the light came on HOWEVER I have never ever owned a car that performs better and better as u cross the 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 mile treshold and beyond. This is the ONE CAR that you'll fall in LOVE more with as time goes by

"I don't understand why people would want to get rid of pigeons. They don't bother no one." (Mike Tyson).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jzguru's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jzguru reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jzguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #9
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

I agree, Jzguru. I just crossed 3000 miles and my last 4 tank fulls have been 29.2, 31.8, 30.7, and 30.6 MPG.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
PIIYM
PIIYM is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Turns out they need to replace the whole gauge cluster as they couldnt get the CEL to go out and seems there is a fault in the cluster. Hmmmm. Im getting a loaner car when the part comes in as its a pain in the butt being carless when you have a brand new car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PIIYM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PIIYM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PIIYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIIYM View Post
Turns out they need to replace the whole gauge cluster as they couldnt get the CEL to go out and seems there is a fault in the cluster. Hmmmm. Im getting a loaner car when the part comes in as its a pain in the butt being carless when you have a brand new car.
Make sure it doesn't rattle!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!