SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
sma_m3
sma_m3 is on a distinguished road

Default How do i check my MIL light code on my Astra XR??

Hey there i just bought a 08 Astra XR and onlky has 100 miles on it.. and its already throwing a MIL light.. this is my first saturn and im not sure if there is a way to check what code the engine is throwing? i used to have a honda and i know with that i could bridge the computer and the mil light will blink to the corresponding code.. was curious if saturns had this ability?? if not.. then if anyone maybe knows why i would get a MIL light after 100 miles would be great? thank you so much

Joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sma_m3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sma_m3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sma_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
gsrboi80
gsrboi80 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How do i check my MIL light code on my Astra XR??

You need a scanner. Unless there in some trick like in hondaland to count the pulse of the CEL.

100 miles ***** I'd bring it back to the dealer. Make sure the gas cap is tight though too

03 TB EVO VIII (PT61mm BB) 450awhp Pump Gas (Weekend Warrior)
08 Blue Saturn Astra, 18's, and Leather (Daily Grind)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gsrboi80's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gsrboi80 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gsrboi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
danger d
danger d is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

im pretty sure its the gas cap or the filler neck.but go to the dealer dont try to bypass anything in the ODB2 ALDL or you could blow your ECM.i remember on older GM cars you would jump A and B together to make blint that MIL light but im not sure i would try that in an Astra

2008 Red Astra XR3 5-speeds Sport Handling Package Premium Audio Package 17's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danger d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danger d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danger d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Call OnStar and they can tell you.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
opelnz
opelnz is on a distinguished road

Try this

has worked on my 06 turbo and on most 1.8's tried

- Take a seat in your car...
- Press the brakepedal and the accelerator-pedal fully at the same time
- Turn the ignition key till the lights in your dash come on but don't start the car!

In the display where normally your mileage is shown, you'll see "ECN" (error code number) and below it the faultcodes that have been stored. They appear one after another. At the end, your mileage will be shown again.

The first 4 digits indicate the fault, the last 2 digits contain a value.

For example: ECN 161450: problem with communication between immobiliser and key-transponder.

If no codes are shown, nothing has been stored!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to opelnz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help opelnz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
opelnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Jzguru
Jzguru is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger d View Post
im pretty sure its the gas cap or the filler neck.but go to the dealer dont try to bypass anything in the ODB2 ALDL or you could blow your ECM.i remember on older GM cars you would jump A and B together to make blint that MIL light but im not sure i would try that in an Astra

Just bought my Astra 3 Door XR Automatic Pearl White. Light came on after 70 miles. Took it in today. NEW RECALL! Gas Cap and Filler Neck replacement. PROBLEM SOLVED. DRiving like a charm now. Should be that after only 100 miles on it. Just take it to the dealership as Onstar is gonna have u drive it a minimum of 7 times before they say to take it in. The dealership will replace Gas Cap Filler Neck (took them an hour for mine) and that should solve your problem. Somewhat common occurence on these new batches

"I don't understand why people would want to get rid of pigeons. They don't bother no one." (Mike Tyson).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jzguru's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jzguru reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jzguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzguru View Post
Just take it to the dealership as Onstar is gonna have u drive it a minimum of 7 times before they say to take it in.
OnStar doesn't know about service bulletins or common problems. All they know is that the code usually means a loose gas cap.

They can tell you what the light means to a certain extent. They can't diagnose the actual problem. Nor can they reset the light. You don't have to take their advice, and you are free to take the car in for service if you'd like.

When my light came on for the gas cap issue, it never went off after probably two dozen starts. The dealer reset it without replacing parts (the TSB was out but it was a long time ago) but told me if it happens again they'll do the repair. So far at 20K it hasn't come on again.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote