SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2009, 03:57 AM   #21
rgnelson
rgnelson is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: GM Hopes to Retain Saturn Customers, but 69% of SaturnFans.com Members Surveyed S

and buy what?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rgnelson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rgnelson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rgnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #22
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: GM Hopes to Retain Saturn Customers, but 69% of SaturnFans.com Members Surveyed S

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnd00d View Post
GM makes me laugh. You know, my entire family was GM loyal and we bought nothing but GM. In fact, I ignored all the bad rap that everyone around me (like friends) were saying about GM, and tried to change people's perceptions whenever I could.

Saturn was my favorite brand, and Pontiac was my second favorite, and with those two gone, I am upset enough to not consider another GM ever.

Well in a couple years, I'll probably be in the market for a used car (not going to buy new till I have to buy a replacement for my vue). The only thing from GM I'd consider even used, would be a G8 or Astra only because I am fixated on the both of them.

If not for those two cars, I'll be going import, or Ford.

Sorry GM, you won't see my hard-earned dollars anymore, your too dumb to know what to do with it. You mis-manage everything under the sun, why would anyone trust you anymore? Sales and incentives won't do much to help you anymore. So I guess this is good-bye and good riddance.
Exactly how I used to operate. I ignored the bad rep GM had.

GM was hoping they could hold on to those same people [like us] who would buy GM in spite of their product being lacking in so many areas: [ION is a perfect example - a great car in there engine and transmission wise, but boy was it ever NOT ready to come out when they released it ].

Sorry GM. Not even in another lifetime. And really, not because they dumped Saturn. I understand that. The quality of my ION is lower than that of my 99 Cavalier. But it's a "perception gap" that their cars are lacking. BS: it's baked right in. GM put the gap in "perception gap".

That's a company more interested in chasing short term sales over long term profit and one moving backwards, not forward. Now we have the pleasure of them confiscating our money rather than their earning our business. KMA, GM and fun-gu.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #23
ems1
ems1 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Didn't GM send some sort of financial incentives to Oldsmobile owners (coupons/rebates) when that brand folded? I guess they could buy my loyalty to buy another GM vehicle. How about employee pricing on an Equinox?

A nice discount would be justified in my mind to compensate for the drop in trade in value since Saturn is has expired.

'06 3.5 FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ems1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ems1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ems1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #24
Citation84
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems1 View Post
Didn't GM send some sort of financial incentives to Oldsmobile owners (coupons/rebates) when that brand folded? I guess they could buy my loyalty to buy another GM vehicle. How about employee pricing on an Equinox?

A nice discount would be justified in my mind to compensate for the drop in trade in value since Saturn is has expired.
$10,000 off a Cobalt would be a start.... But then it would still have that POS ignition switch and junk sway bar bushings. No win there and payments start all over again. Screw GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #25
dennis marshall
dennis marshall is on a distinguished road

I do not know if I will buy another GM vehicle. If GM as someone posted makes me sign some sort of agreement that in order to honor my warranty I have to buy another GM car then watch out. There are going to be a lot of very angry Saturn owners making a big noise I doubt that GM would do this but with GM you never know. My Saturn dealer is keeping open one of his two remaining stores to sell used cars and service Saturns. I was told that this was the plan for now. There is a local Chevy dealer nearby that has a very good reputation so I may either go to them or find a local garage for service. If I go to the Chevy dealer I may buy a vehicle from them because if the dealer treats me right I may give them a chance. I honestly do not know what my next vehicle will be at this point. I will never go back to Chrysler Corp thats for sure. I am not too crazy about Toyota, Nissan or Mazda-even though my Mazda 323 was very dependable. I do not think that VW is all that great , Volvo doesn't make the grade and Kia doesn't excite me. This would leave Chevy, Ford, Subaru or the makers of the Sonata. I am not surprised that 69% of Saturn fans would not buy another GM vehicle. Quite frankly I think that GM wanted to fold up Saturn and really did not make it possible for Mr. Penske to succeed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dennis marshall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dennis marshall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dennis marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #26
k-dee
k-dee is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I find this interesting. It was when Saturn became more like GM that I became less interested in Saturn. At that point it became anti-Saturn. If they focus on affordable, reliable, easy to service economy cars, with great dealership service, I would be interested. You know, something like Saturn used to be.
Funny. That's exactly how I feel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to k-dee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help k-dee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
k-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #27
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

I might be in the minority, but I've had good luck with all of the GM cars ( 8 I think) I have owned and would certainly consider buying another if it was the right product at the right price. It certainly would have nothing to do with whether or not they kept Saturn alive even though I've loved both of my Saturns too...

From my 76 Olds Cutlass to our 08 Uplander, they've all treated me pretty well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #28
Craig
Advanced Member
Craig is on a distinguished road

Funny thing, in my Personal Finance class this semester, one of our assignments is to pick out a vehicle (2005 or newer) and research what it would cost to purchase, insure, maintain, and even look at things like reliability and stuff. No real desire to replace my '95 SW2, but if I had to, I'd go with a Scion xB.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Craig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Craig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #29
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by john95SW2 View Post
I might be in the minority, but I've had good luck with all of the GM cars ( 8 I think) I have owned and would certainly consider buying another if it was the right product at the right price. It certainly would have nothing to do with whether or not they kept Saturn alive even though I've loved both of my Saturns too...

From my 76 Olds Cutlass to our 08 Uplander, they've all treated me pretty well.
I've had good luck with mine too...all 8 of them, but I have also had good luck with my 3 Fords and 2 Dodges. So, I will shop around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #30
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:

Yes, we got $1500 to use toward a new GM product. I think it was good for 5 years if I remember correctly. It could be combined with any incentives, including employee discounts.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:52 AM   #31
Jzguru
Jzguru is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Getting charged for a checkup for loose steering (135 dollars) from GM dealership (On my ASTRA) when my now defunct Saturn dealership would check out any basic diagnostics for free led me to tell the GM Service Rep that I would ensure that not only I would NEVER EVER EVER purchase any GM vehicle (specifically from their dealership) BUT That I would disown any future generation of mine IF they stepped foot on a GM dealership to explore vehicle purchase. Well that was 8 months ago, and after reading this article I feel more strongly about my stance NOW more than ever UNLESS it involves a used G8 GT or another used Saturn. ... I am reiterating my stance here on this forum AND Ive been b_!+ching about this since the day it happened lol

"I don't understand why people would want to get rid of pigeons. They don't bother no one." (Mike Tyson).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jzguru's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jzguru reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jzguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:02 AM   #32
Biggy Z.
Biggy Z. is on a distinguished road

"Susan Docherty, vice president-U.S. sales, calls these consumers "free agents" and says GM will attempt to steer them to Buick-GMC or Chevrolet dealerships by offering free oil changes."

Thanks for the insult GM! I will never, EVER buy a vehicle from you. I will keep my Saturn VUE for next 20 years so that I can get my classic license plate. My next car will be Audi A6 Avant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Biggy Z.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Biggy Z. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Biggy Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #33
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:

In my opinion, the employee discount is not enough ... pretty much anybody can get employee pricing today if you know somebody who works at or is retired from GM, not to mention the annual "GM employee pricing for everyone" offer. Also, figure there will be a $1000 ~ $3000 incentive on the Equinox at the end of the model year once the newness has worn off.

Given the above $3000 ~ $6000 discounts that anybody will get, you still need a Saturn-owner-GM-loyalty bonus to get Saturn owners interested in GM again ... at least a $2000 bonus to offset the Kelly Blue Book hit on used Saturns, maybe throw-in an extended warranty, then GM might get the attention of a few jaded Saturn owners.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #34
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzguru View Post
Getting charged for a checkup for loose steering (135 dollars) from GM dealership (On my ASTRA) when my now defunct Saturn dealership would check out any basic diagnostics for free led me to tell the GM Service Rep that I would ensure that not only I would NEVER EVER EVER purchase any GM vehicle (specifically from their dealership) BUT That I would disown any future generation of mine IF they stepped foot on a GM dealership to explore vehicle purchase. Well that was 8 months ago, and after reading this article I feel more strongly about my stance NOW more than ever UNLESS it involves a used G8 GT or another used Saturn. ... I am reiterating my stance here on this forum AND Ive been b_!+ching about this since the day it happened lol
You're going to get the same for any brand of car you buy now. If your car is out of warranty then you should be charged money for service.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #35
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
Given the above $3000 ~ $6000 discounts that anybody will get, you still need a Saturn-owner-GM-loyalty bonus to get Saturn owners interested in GM again ... at least a $2000 bonus to offset the Kelly Blue Book hit on used Saturns, maybe throw-in an extended warranty, then GM might get the attention of a few jaded Saturn owners.
The more discounts the better. If discounts will get me a Colorado cheaper than a Ranger I might go for it.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:10 PM   #36
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by page2171 View Post
I've had good luck with mine too...all 8 of them, but I have also had good luck with my 3 Fords and 2 Dodges. So, I will shop around.
Me too - Like I said, right product at the right price. Otherwise I'm going somewhere else...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #37
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

I've been bitten by the Daimler bug, so I don't think my next vehicle will be GM.

That being said, this has nothing to do with the shutdown of Saturn. Cadillac has some great vehicles (the new CTS and SRX are sexy), most of Chevrolet's lineup is great - the Malibu is great, the new Buick LaCrosse looks to be a great car, and GMC's lineup is great as always. The new Terrain is especially tasty.

A lot of people have a kneejerk reaction to what happened with Saturn it seems - GM did what they needed to do, and I will not fault them for that.

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #38
99sl2guy
99sl2guy is on a distinguished road

Incentives huh? How about 50 dollar changeout specials on BCMs for my wifes vue? This one would be the fourth one in 25K miles! Lotta good that free oil change will do when I can't get the sob to move out of the driveway.The first three came under warranty.My wife can no longer drive due to illness,so her vue is used as a grocery getter,and her ride to the doctor's office.This vehicle is kept under covered parking and is driven at least three times a week.Its dependability as a standby vehicle is gone .Still has the new car smell.Gm really screwed the public with this "dealer only" computer albatross.Lots of stuff is conrolled by this module unnecessarily.And when it goes haywire(noted as a frequent problem with the vue) get prepared to call the towtruck.Like your electric assisted power steering?It might not work when mr. bcm goes nuts.Or your gages,or your keyless entry,or your ac compressor clutch circuit,or your front or rear wiper relay drive circuit,or your low brake fluid indication circuit,or your gearshift unlock circuit,or your park lamp circuit,or your daytime running light circuit,or your fog lamp relay control circuit,or your coolant level sensor circuit,or your electric rear defrost circuit,or your park brake switch circuit,or your blower motor relay circuit,or your front/rear washer motor circuits or your...what a bunch of asses it took to come up with this "all your circuitry eggs in one basket" system!!! Is it any wonder GM is begging for our loyalty?After I have to pay for a wrecker and then pay for an obviously defective part and its installation, which by its history will be defective again long before the sting from the last one wears off,should I be loyal to GM? I'll be left pondering just how many times it will strand me again before I get even 100k out of this otherwise pristine vehicle.What if it goes haywire in heavy traffic? How come this is not considered hazardous enough to warrant a redesign of the original bcm? My 99 sl2 has been one hell of a bargain,but this vue and the "NEW GM" make me wonder about a lot of things.Serious things. Rant over..for now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99sl2guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99sl2guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99sl2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #39
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy View Post
A lot of people have a kneejerk reaction to what happened with Saturn it seems - GM did what they needed to do, and I will not fault them for that.
GM did what they needed to do? If GM did that, they wouldn't have been the source of Saturn's demise from the get-go by starving them of money for R&D, using them as the pilot project for several production cars under the GM Umbrella.

Why would GM roll out the Aura, with next to no marketing cash to advertise it, then improve upon it and create the newly redesigned Malibu, and market the crap out of it? Is there no middle ground here? Couldn't they have split up some marketing dollars? Of course not, that would be too LOGICAL.

They expected Saturn to bring out a car that sells itself, but back it's corporate bread-and-butter car, the malibu with everything they got.

GM did the same to Pontiac. They f'ed them over too.

And they think I'm going to spend my money on another GM? Let them be world-class cars for all I care, they are greedy, selfish, worthless, spineless pricks. They give themselves bonuses, and put their hard-working labourers out of work at the same time, draw upon taxpayers' money to bail themselves out, and resort to some of the lowest tactics in the business, just to try and keep up.

I've supported them long enough, and so has my entire family. I was simply blinded by brand loyalty to see what others have been saying for the longest time. Well, no more for me. You all can think what you want to think, or say what you want to say. Won't change my decision anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #40
Citation84
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

saturndood: I think what is meant by "GM did what they had to do" relates to GM's finally realizing that if they weren't going to develop the brand, they may as well dump it.

Everyone understands that GM didn't have a clue after Saturn took off, did their "deer in the headlights" thing, then took a series of half measures to sustain it. The end should have come years ago if that was all the effort GM was going to put into it. Could have saved themselves billions.

But the rest of what you said ? +1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!