SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #21
Jzguru
Jzguru is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Just my luck...

Ugh! Someone last night clipped my driver's side mirror with their mirror and took off! I woke up this morning with a barebones mirror hangin by a thread. New Mirror 300 dollars plus painting plus labor so I'm looking in excess of 500 dollars. 2000 miles on my car and this has to happen. I think this Astra is the perfect Car. I never get tired of looking at it, but now its frustrating having to dole out the cash on a brand new car all because of one person who had the nerve to just drive off. But I have to get it fixed cause its even more frustrating listening t0 the wind noise that a displaced mirror is causing while I'm driving.

"I don't understand why people would want to get rid of pigeons. They don't bother no one." (Mike Tyson).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jzguru's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jzguru reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jzguru is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #22
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzguru View Post
Ugh! Someone last night clipped my driver's side mirror with their mirror and took off! I woke up this morning with a barebones mirror hangin by a thread. New Mirror 300 dollars plus painting plus labor so I'm looking in excess of 500 dollars. 2000 miles on my car and this has to happen. I think this Astra is the perfect Car. I never get tired of looking at it, but now its frustrating having to dole out the cash on a brand new car all because of one person who had the nerve to just drive off. But I have to get it fixed cause its even more frustrating listening t0 the wind noise that a displaced mirror is causing while I'm driving.
That definitely sucks. My old VW was hit on each side in the front and once in the rear. All happened when I wasn't in the car. Why can't people be responsible and at least leave a note so the owner can follow up?

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #23
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Devil Re: Just my luck...

Other than the occasional passing hooptie equipped with 22" rims or the passing gravel truck blasting me with stones and sand at 70mph, my windshield looks like an astronomy map when the sun shines on it and I am a weekend paint touch-up artist.

Wonder if I can mount a 9mm turret on my roof? That would be fun. For now, I always make sure that I thank the passing offender in advance, cringe, anticipate what is about to happen and thank them with a one finger salute.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #24
nickctn
nickctn is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickctn View Post
Little update: I just got the estimate from the garage. The repairs are estimated at CAD$7500 right now. They've ordered the new doors and they're just going to fix the rear panel. Bad news is that it will take them 2 to 3 week just to get the parts.
Another update on my car... got a call from the garage today. My doors are finally on a boat making their way to North America and they should be getting them on Feb. 17th. So I'm basically stuck without my Astra for a whole 2 months by the time that they will be done with the repairs...

I miss my Astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nickctn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nickctn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nickctn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #25
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Another update on my car... got a call from the garage today. My doors are finally on a boat making their way to North America and they should be getting them on Feb. 17th. So I'm basically stuck without my Astra for a whole 2 months by the time that they will be done with the repairs...

I miss my Astra
Two months? Why is this happening? I understand there is a low volume of Astras in the US but are we expected to wait 2 months for parts? What are we supposed to do in the meantime? Another forum member mentioned a starter motor problem and the part had to be shipped from Belgium. There's not a single Saturn dealer in the US that could get it to him earlier?

To be honest, this worries me. My dealer told me there would be no issue getting parts now and even later (10 years) should GM close down Saturn. If it's this difficult to get parts now, what would it be like if they do eliminate Saturn?

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #26
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

dealers certainly do not stock body part - fenders, doors, and hoogs. there is no reason that a central sarurn parts warehouse does not stock these parts. then again, maybe there is no parts warehouse.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:28 AM   #27
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gssaturn View Post
dealers certainly do not stock body part - fenders, doors, and hoogs. there is no reason that a central sarurn parts warehouse does not stock these parts. then again, maybe there is no parts warehouse.
Yeah, I can understand not stocking body parts at the dealer but like you said shouldn't there be a *state side* warehouse where they can be ground shipped within a week? Do you think it would help if we (Astra owners) voice these concerns to our local Saturn dealers or even higher up the chain? The prospect of having to wait 2 months for parts bothers me - a lot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #28
RobD1517
RobD1517 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
1999 SL2

Update:
as of yesterday, all the parts (ie. door, qtr panel, wheel, axle etc.) are finally in the shop and the car is on the rack! BUT...the rear wheel bearing is on back order, so when that will be here is anyones guess. Its been around 3 weeks since the parts were ordered and all but the body parts and axle were in the states.

When they call it the slow boat, they really mean it! lol

'92 SL2 - 108,000 miles (traded)
'96 SL2 - 312,000 miles (blew up)
'98 SL2 - ??????? miles (parts car)
'99 SL2 - 168,000 miles (Sold 11/08)
'08 Astra - 131,000 miles and counting!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobD1517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobD1517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobD1517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #29
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD1517 View Post
Update:
as of yesterday, all the parts (ie. door, qtr panel, wheel, axle etc.) are finally in the shop and the car is on the rack! BUT...the rear wheel bearing is on back order, so when that will be here is anyones guess. Its been around 3 weeks since the parts were ordered and all but the body parts and axle were in the states.

When they call it the slow boat, they really mean it! lol
Hmmm... It's good to hear they are stocking parts here in the US. Thanks for the update and I hope they're able to get your wheel bearing to you quickly. Given how long you've been down I would hope they air freight it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #30
RobD1517

2008 Astra XR
1999 SL2

no kidding, the rental period is up on monday too!

something i just found interesting...the way things are goin with the car, hell, my hand was repaired (& healed) quicker than the car! lol the pins came out on monday

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobD1517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #31
nickctn
nickctn is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
no kidding, the rental period is up on monday too!
Well at least I still have my rental. My Insurances didn't mention anything about having to bring it back by a certain date...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nickctn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nickctn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nickctn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #32
RobD1517

2008 Astra XR
1999 SL2

Quote:
Well at least I still have my rental. My Insurances didn't mention anything about having to bring it back by a certain date...
Its not the insurance company, its Avis that wants it back by then. But, my best guess would say im only gonna be out a car for a week, which isnt too bad. i can catch a ride if need.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #33
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Don't understand why it's an issue with the rental company. Tell your ins co, they'll get an extension from the rental company. The only reason why the rental company would set a max time limit is to make sure the car gets it's routine g-o-f maintenance.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #34
RobD1517

2008 Astra XR
1999 SL2

Good news everyone! So after losing my temper and cant find my "last hopefully latest" thread we will finally have all parts, and hopefully the car done, by March 23rd! So, since the car went in the shop in mid-January it should finally be done. Ive found the key to getting things moving was calling the customer relations line that can be found on the Saturn website. Thanks to all who could give me info on parts and advice, its been greatly appreciated =]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #35
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Good news everyone! So after losing my temper and cant find my "last hopefully latest" thread we will finally have all parts, and hopefully the car done, by March 23rd! So, since the car went in the shop in mid-January it should finally be done. Ive found the key to getting things moving was calling the customer relations line that can be found on the Saturn website. Thanks to all who could give me info on parts and advice, its been greatly appreciated =]
Glad to hear you got all of your parts in - good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!