SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 03-17-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
adbacker
adbacker has a spectacular aura aboutadbacker has a spectacular aura aboutadbacker has a spectacular aura about

Default Mystery engine wire harness connector

You know that phenomena where you disassemble/reassemble something and you *inevitably* have something left over?

This is a first for me, but I have a wire connection left over.

Son rear-ended an SUV with his 2002 L300, and after we replaced the radiator and fans and reconnected everything, we're left with a small, single two-pole male connector with blue silicone seal. It's coming off a big wiring harness bundle that comes up just to the left of the drivers side headlamp

It's not a headlight connector - those are all secured. The closest thing I found was the connector in the attached pic - the connector 160/161 looks really close. (TRANS OUTPUT SHAFT SP50D SENSOR)

Thinking this must be a transmission speed sensor connection, I've spent several hours searching ... going out to the car and looking at the front of the transmission from above and below, and for the life of me I can't find any connection point.

I'm wondering if it's just one of those left-over wiring connection points that dangle here and there (like the ones for the non-existent fog lights) or am I missing something obvious??

Attached is a pic of the mystery connector in question.

Side note ... I've wrenched a fair amount on my 2001 volvo v70 t5 and enjoyed the benefits of it's extensive support community. It's nice to discover folks similarly dedicated to their Saturns.

Thank you!
-aaron

tldr;

My son rear-ended an SUV with his 2002 L300. Fortunately, they had little to no damage ... and their hitch (merely) punched through the front fender and smashed the radiator(s). And destroyed the hood. And bent the front of the frame.

This became one of those "teachable moments" We sourced new parts (hood, radiators, fans) from the local junkyard and worked through the repair process. Including going back to the junkyard and getting a *different* radiator because the one we'd pulled was from a 2.2L and didn't have a particular cooling nipple.

But I digress...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3250.jpg (100.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 7.24.26 PM.jpg (157.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_156b.jpg (127.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by adbacker; 03-17-2019 at 09:33 PM. Reason: adding photo
adbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Mystery engine wire harness connector

What color are the two wires? I have a 2002 FSM set and will look.
2002 LW 300 loaded, only 95,000 original miles!
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
2000 LS1, TMU love those bcm failures.
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:52 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Intake air temperature sensor connector? Look into the driver's side grunt grille for a sensor. It's pointed into the air stream to measure ambient temperatures. Saturns with auto climate control display outside temps as 'EXT'. Fiddling with the left side temperature knob switches 'EXT' to inside selected temps as its dialed up or down. Once released, a few seconds passes before 'EXT'ernal temps are shown. If this sensor is disconnected, either dashed lines or 'err' may be displayed.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:23 AM   #4
adbacker
adbacker has a spectacular aura aboutadbacker has a spectacular aura aboutadbacker has a spectacular aura about

Yes! That's it exactly!

The replacement front bumper we got from the junkyard didn't have a sensor but, fortunately, we still have the old-n-busted. I checked and indeed, there's a sensor attached.

This makes sense b/c I couldn't figure out why I'd have disconnected a transmission sensor when removing the old front grille.

And it makes double-sense because, when I started the car, it started and drove fine but the climate control showed temp controls briefly, but then started showing 0C, and wouldn't do anything. Oh, and the blower stayed on.

I chalked that up to the fact that I'd pulled the relay for the A/C because I wasn't sure if the front radiator was for the a/c. (before I realized it was for transmission coolant and subsequently replaced the transmission filter etc)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Intake air temperature sensor connector? Look into the driver's side grunt grille for a sensor. It's pointed into the air stream to measure ambient temperatures. Saturns with auto climate control display outside temps as 'EXT'. Fiddling with the left side temperature knob switches 'EXT' to inside selected temps as its dialed up or down. Once released, a few seconds passes before 'EXT'ernal temps are shown. If this sensor is disconnected, either dashed lines or 'err' may be displayed.

Last edited by adbacker; 03-18-2019 at 12:24 AM. Reason: clarification
adbacker is offline   Reply With Quote