SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2007, 07:23 AM   #21
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Rotella T Engine Oil....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseberg View Post
Are you sure your friends engins were ruined by not changing oil, or were they ruined by running out of oil?.
When oil gets dirty enough it starts to bypass filter and then is can become almost like liquid sand paper given enough time

Quote:
I've seen the insides of an engine that ran out of oil, and that changed by beliefs about what happens when an engine runs out of oil. Nothing actually, "wore out". What happened was that the bearings overheaded and melted.
They melted because the oil film failed and friction set in which causes wear and heat from this friction. Oil does two thing for a engine bearings. First it floats the journals in a film film/layer that prevents metal to metal contact and it cools the bearings as well. This is why bearings are the first thing to good generally with loss of oil pressure. Many do not realize that engine oil temp in bearing can be a lot hotter than the engine block temperature best even oil heats up some from shearing in bearings which causes friction between oil molecules.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #22
Jim Dunlop
Jim Dunlop is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1998 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97coupe View Post
I am not so sure that droplets like that is a sign of a good oil. It tends to suggest is has a high surface tension and does not easily coat some surfaces. I like the see a oil the will coat everything well.
I believe the reason the droplets spin around in the funnel like that is because certain surfactant portions of the mixture have crept around the surface of the funnel and coated it, like they are supposed to do to the wetted surfaces of the engine. The oil coalesces to itself in a droplet in the funnel (or in a layer in the engine). These layers of metal - surfactant - oil - surfactant - metal slide past each other with very little friction. This is one of the principles of synthetic oil.

http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/whyrpa.html

The above link is from their website. Obviously independent tests are preferable, and they have an independent test summary page.

One of their biggest claims is higher film strength which increases HP by reducing blow-by.

Also, my engine seems to be running smoother now, but I can't objectively separate the variables since I started adding 3.5 oz of acetone per fill-up (increases octane rating) at the same time I switched to Royal Purple.

I'm all about making the engine run as smoothly as possible, since vibration is a significant failure mode for many automotive parts.

2002 SL 1.9L SOHC 5-spd mods:
-Custom HAI
-K&N Airbox Filter
-Custom Air Dam
-PCV Catch Can
-Drilled & slotted rotors
-14x6 König Incident's, Yoko AVID's
-Grille Block (aluminum)
SCS! DD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim Dunlop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim Dunlop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #23
97coupe
Master Member

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dunlop View Post
I believe the reason the droplets spin around in the funnel like that is because certain surfactant portions of the mixture have crept around the surface of the funnel and coated it, like they are supposed to do to the wetted surfaces of the engine. The oil coalesces to itself in a droplet in the funnel (or in a layer in the engine). These layers of metal - surfactant - oil - surfactant - metal slide past each other with very little friction. This is one of the principles of synthetic oil.

http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/whyrpa.html

The above link is from their website. Obviously independent tests are preferable, and they have an independent test summary page.

One of their biggest claims is higher film strength which increases HP by reducing blow-by.

Also, my engine seems to be running smoother now, but I can't objectively separate the variables since I started adding 3.5 oz of acetone per fill-up (increases octane rating) at the same time I switched to Royal Purple.

I'm all about making the engine run as smoothly as possible, since vibration is a significant failure mode for many automotive parts.
I fully understand what you are trying to say and it has some merit for sure it is just that I have "issues" with this effect because it suggest a very high surface tension (surface tension is what holds a bead together) which makes me question its flowing coating ability in some scenarios independent of the friction lube properties of oil itself when between to surfaces. Just "my" feelings on it anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #24
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I've been using Rotella T 5W-40 in my Saturns for a while now. So far, the 2000 is using no oil and the '98 uses about 1/2 quart between changes. That's good enough for me but, I don't live in a cold climate either.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #25
97coupe
Master Member

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
I've been using Rotella T 5W-40 in my Saturns for a while now. So far, the 2000 is using no oil and the '98 uses about 1/2 quart between changes. That's good enough for me but, I don't live in a cold climate either.
For what it is worth you are losing a bit of MPG potential unless it is maybe 100 plus where you are at because the 40 weight flow rate at higher temp in a small engine consumes more power shearing it. You are not gaining anything here really MPG wise even though the "5W" part may make you think so. I doubt that you will find the energy conserving rating on the API label either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #26
oseberg
oseberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When oil gets dirty enough it starts to bypass filter and then is can become almost like liquid sand paper given enough time
I can't believe that dirty oil would activate some sort of filter bypass. I can believe that a clogged filter could activate some sort of filter bypass if the filter or engine were designed that way. I mean, it's probably better for your engine to send gritty oil through it than no oil, regardless of how gritty that oil is. (Since no oil guarantees failure, whereas gritty oil only guarantees wear and tear.)

I would think that it would be pretty smart to add a bypass indicator that'll light up your oil pressure light telling you that your filter is clogged.

I experienced the engine with the clogged oil filter that was loosing oil pressure every time you revved the engine, and regaining it when you stopped and restarted the engine. This experience is contrary to the oil bypass theory, because if there was an oil bypass on this vehicle or in this filter, the oil pressure would not have dropped when the filter was clogged. But then, this was over 20 years ago, so things could have changed since then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oseberg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oseberg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oseberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #27
97coupe
Master Member

1997 SC2

Quote:
I can't believe that dirty oil would activate some sort of filter bypass. I can believe that a clogged filter could activate some sort of filter bypass if the filter or engine were designed that way. I mean, it's probably better for your engine to send gritty oil through it than no oil, regardless of how gritty that oil is. (Since no oil guarantees failure, whereas gritty oil only guarantees wear and tear.)
If the oil is dirty it will plug the filter up eventually as it has limited capacity and once full/clogged it will go into bypass or stoppage of flow.

Quote:
I would think that it would be pretty smart to add a bypass indicator that'll light up your oil pressure light telling you that your filter is clogged.
I agree, this would be a good idea but it would have to work on a pressure differential and when oil is cold and thick it would not flow through filter as well and this could cause a differentail sensor to trip unless you disabled it when it was cold but then that would be one more thing to go wrong too and worry owner.

Quote:
I experienced the engine with the clogged oil filter that was loosing oil pressure every time you revved the engine, and regaining it when you stopped and restarted the engine. This experience is contrary to the oil bypass theory, because if there was an oil bypass on this vehicle or in this filter, the oil pressure would not have dropped when the filter was clogged. But then, this was over 20 years ago, so things could have changed since then.

Not all engine bypass filter the same way. Some depend on filter to do it, some do it externally and some do not do it at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #28
Jim Dunlop

2002 SL
1998 SL

Quote:
I fully understand what you are trying to say and it has some merit for sure it is just that I have "issues" with this effect because it suggest a very high surface tension (surface tension is what holds a bead together) which makes me question its flowing coating ability in some scenarios independent of the friction lube properties of oil itself when between to surfaces. Just "my" feelings on it anyway.
OK. I see what you're saying...if the oil itself doesn't coat the metal surfaces, then the surfactants better do it pretty effectively.

It is really only the last drop or two that drips out of the bottle that I see "dancing" on the funnel. While the bulk is going down the funnel it adheres to the walls. However, it seems to drain more quickly than Mobil1 5W-30. Very interesting. Or perhaps it's because I switched to RP after the weather became 80°, thus reducing the viscosity? Too many variables, as usual! (so many experiments, so little time)

-Custom HAI
-K&N Airbox Filter
-Custom Air Dam
-PCV Catch Can
-Grille Block (aluminum)
SCS! DD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jim Dunlop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #29
bobfather99
bobfather99 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

I have Rotella-T in 10W30 in my Saturn right now.
I can get it locally for $8.29/gallon..
It has great additives(ZDDP) to help keep things clean.

Hopefully anyone thats worried about 15W40 being too thick will try it, as the Rotella add pack is great.

Ive seen it available at several parts stores, and Menards in Indiana for between 8.29 and 9.99/gallon.

Just my 2c

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobfather99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobfather99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobfather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:14 AM   #30
97coupe
Master Member

1997 SC2

Quote:
OK. I see what you're saying...if the oil itself doesn't coat the metal surfaces, then the surfactants better do it pretty effectively.

It is really only the last drop or two that drips out of the bottle that I see "dancing" on the funnel. While the bulk is going down the funnel it adheres to the walls. However, it seems to drain more quickly than Mobil1 5W-30. Very interesting. Or perhaps it's because I switched to RP after the weather became 80°, thus reducing the viscosity? Too many variables, as usual! (so many experiments, so little time)
I was at a store yesterday and I saw 10w30 RP on the shelf and I noticed that is was only rated "SL" while Mobile one was rated SM/CF. All other (automotive type not oil made for diesels) SYN oil there was rated SM too and one other brand there was CF too, Valvoline. A SYN car oil with a CF diesel rating is going to have more detergents and dispersants than one just rated SM. I found it a bit curious anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #31
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I used to run Rotella T synthetic in my Saturn, now I run Havoline 5w-30, with no appreciable difference in oil consumption, but the engine does seem to have the slightest bit more pep to it, especially cold. I was unable to do the last two oil changes since my fiancee had the car with her away from home, and had to add oil between changes (i think Pennzoil and Valvoline were used). Its unscientific, but I think Havoline is a better bang for my buck.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FrozenPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #32
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
**Chop**

However, it seems to drain more quickly than Mobil1 5W-30. Very interesting. Or perhaps it's because I switched to RP after the weather became 80°, thus reducing the viscosity? Too many variables, as usual! (so many experiments, so little time)
I think that in the interest of having better information, this theory should be tested.

Send me a couple cases each of the Mobil 1 and Royal Purple, and I'll do more in depth testing. Of course you'll be the first to get the results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 PM   #33
Jim Dunlop

2002 SL
1998 SL

LOL! That's be $250 plus tax, shipping, and "fees".

-Custom HAI
-K&N Airbox Filter
-Custom Air Dam
-PCV Catch Can
-Grille Block (aluminum)
SCS! DD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #34
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Thanks guys.
Sounds like the only downside is the 10 more pts of viscosity of the 5-40W at hot with the Rotella T which is bit harder for the little 1.9 to shear. Will likely stick with Mobil1 as I have had great success with it. Have to say my SC2 runs very well...have been pleased with this car as my daily driver. The motor isn't strong by any means but runs flawlessly and fun to drive. I love the simplicity of the SC2.
Thanks again,
George

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #35
S-forever
S-forever is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm7 View Post
Thanks guys.
Sounds like the only downside is the 10 more pts of viscosity of the 5-40W at hot with the Rotella T which is bit harder for the little 1.9 to shear. Will likely stick with Mobil1 as I have had great success with it. Have to say my SC2 runs very well...have been pleased with this car as my daily driver. The motor isn't strong by any means but runs flawlessly and fun to drive. I love the simplicity of the SC2.
Thanks again,
George
Over several high mileage S-series, I've had no problems at all with Walmart 15-40 fleet diesel rated oil except in winter. No cars failed from lack of lubricity and I'm still driving one of them. 15-40 is too thick for a cold winter, but it seems quite fine for the rest of the year in our desert southwest conditions. I never run hard until it's warmed up, but that's only a mile or two with the aluminum block. Then I run fast with a light foot. No city driving. The longer filter helps too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S-forever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S-forever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #36
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

I’ve run the T5 10w30 and the T6 5w40 with no issues. I keep going back to pennzoil platinum or ultra or Motorcraft 5w30.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:08 AM   #37
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Probably the best deal right now is the Wal-Mart 6 quart full synthetic Havoline Pro DS box...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Havoline-...6-qt/537902742

Also comes in 10W-30, and in conventional...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Havoline-...-6qt/504353470

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #38
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I hope that a decade later, this information is useful to the OP (who has not signed on since 2015)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote