SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay Tech

Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
jb1224
jb1224 is on a distinguished road

Default Keyless Entry

I have an '05 Relay and both of my keyless remotes are barely working. I have tried changing the batteries, but it doesn't help. You have to stand by the driver's side door and repeadetly hit the button and hold it down- sometimes it will work, most of the time it does not. Ideas?
jb1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Keyless Entry

I'm surprised no one has tried mentioning to you to review your owner's manual for help with maintenance on the two remotes as well as resynching them by a simple procedure like simultaneously pressing the Lock & Unlock buttons together for about 10-seconds and seeing/hearing the doorlocks cycling as acknowledgment of each remotes viability. If your owner's manual doesn't cover it or yours is missing, search the How-to library on cleaning remotes and resynching them. Since its a GM/Saturn system, this should apply to almost any remote keyfob with the standard four button remote so it can be found in the S-series, L-series, and Relay forums.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
crkeehn
crkeehn will become famous soon enoughcrkeehn will become famous soon enough

2005 RELAY-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1224 View Post
I have an '05 Relay and both of my keyless remotes are barely working. I have tried changing the batteries, but it doesn't help. You have to stand by the driver's side door and repeadetly hit the button and hold it down- sometimes it will work, most of the time it does not. Ideas?
I'd like to suggest something you might try. I was having a similar problem and this seems to have corrected it.

If you remember the keyfob when you opened it to replace the batteries. The circuit board has a pair of intertwined contacts for each button. When you press the button, there is a contact pad on the underside that completes the circuit. I am guessing that with time, whatever is on the contact pad of the button, wears off.

I just went through the same issue, the unlock button was not responding. I replaced the battery and it worked for another day or so and then the unlock button just stopped working. All the other buttons work. I tried an experiment yesterday evening when I got home from work. I took a small piece of aluminum foil and fastened it to the button contact. When I press the button now, it closes the contacts on the circuit board and the car unlocks. I tested it this morning and I was able to unlock the car, standing at the foot of the driveway by the street.

Why the unlock button only? I press it twice as often as all the rest. Generally when I unlock the car I am unlocking all the doors.
crkeehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
TommyK
TommyK is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
2007 RELAY-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1224 View Post
.You have to stand by the driver's side door and repeadetly hit the button and hold it down- sometimes it will work, most of the time it does not. Ideas?
Sounds like, since it will work, albeit some times,, that your fob is synced up with your computer. I have the same troubles with my Relay. Both my wife's and my fob quit working. The Saturn dealer cleaned them up, checked the batteries, no go. $160.00 to replace! I decided to do without the 21st century convenience. The one and only one key entry still works.

Then I opened it up on my own. Seems the button battery holder has 3 legs on it that are soldered to the circuit board. One of the legs had broken loose. While browsing a vintage electronics repair / store, I had an idea. I asked of the fellow in the back could put a spot of solder on it. $20.00 later, I had a working fob.

The little green men who build these things uses the barest of minimum olf solder. Any bit of vibration or whatever breaks them loose. It could be the tension of the hold down spring is pulling up on the battery holder legs with enough force to pull it apart after a couple years.

Since then, my son had troubles with his Cobalt and a co-worker had the same problem with an Aura. It seems the dealerships now have some of their guys trained in the fine art of electronics soldering.

My co-worker's local Chevy dealer did it for free. He's trying to woo her business since Saturn is defunct.
TommyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

my wife parents have an 05 from when it was new and both fobs quit working. they brought it in last month and batteries didnt help but warranty covered them. (gmpp) and replaced them both.
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote