SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
summer4077
summer4077 is on a distinguished road

Default 99 SC2 Stalling while driving, starts after cool down

This is my first time posting as this is the first problem I've ever had w/ my 99 SC2 (106,000 miles). When driving my car it will start to skip about once every minute or so (usually after driving it for about 10 minutes), and then it will stall out completely and coast to a stop. After letting it cool down for around 30 minutes it starts back up and will drive but do the same thing. When it's completely cold (overnight) then it will go for about 15 minutes, but after waiting for it to cool down 30 min or so it will only drive about 5. I've looked on other forums and they say fuel filter, crankshaft position sensor (this code is coming up when my dad uses the diagnostic thing), or fuel pump. I've priced out fuel filters and they're $70 (!!!) any idea why?? On the L series and most other cars they're $15. Also, every car parts store in my city said it will take 3-5 days to get. As common as Saturns are, you'd think this would be a easy part to get.
Any suggestions on how to test any of these? I don't want to blindly replace a filter, then have to replace the pump, etc b/c both are pricey. My dad also thinks it could be a computer chip going bad. My dad can fix pretty much anything but first we have to figure out what it is, and I'm trying to avoid wasting money replacing things by trial and error (broke college student). I love my car and this is the first time I've had any problems w/ her (she is purple, so I've determined that makes it a her, haha), please help!! Thank you!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to summer4077's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help summer4077 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
summer4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: 99 SC2 Stalling while driving, starts after cool down

The fuel filter is a large one in a highly pressurized fuel line. It's probably a bit over priced.

Try one thing... Take off your gas cap and drive the car. You may be experiencing vapor lock. The vapor venting system for your gas tank may be blocked.

When was the last time you changed your spark plug wires?

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the Board.

What are the codes you are getting from the system? Asking mainly because the crank position sensor will NOT set any codes. You are likely getting a cam position sensor code.

Check the plugs, wires and coils as a first step. Fuel filter should be changed at 100,000 miles as part of normal maintenance.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

The fuel filter is expensive because on a 99 it includes the fuel pressure regulator. It should have been replaced about 6 thousand miles ago and I recommend you do it ASAP. It may or may not be the cause of your stalling but it needs to be done. Get an OEM from www.saturnparts.com or www.saturnparts.net I got one a few months ago for $65. The stalling sounds like CPS to me. That's a part I wouldn't be afraid to throw anyway. It's less than $20 and takes maybe 10 mins to put in.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
summer4077
summer4077 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your responses! We replaced the spark plugs, serpentine belt (needed done), and fuel filter and it still didn't run right (and by "we" I mean my dad, I pretty much just handed tools and asked too many questions, but hey that's how you learn!!). Ended up being the crankshaft position sensor, only $13! I'm very happy to say she is running smoother than ever now. I have considered getting a foreign car next spring, but after the panic I experience I realized just how much I love Saturns (this is my second one)... I think I'll be sticking with them until they sell out completely. Thanks so much for all of your help, this is a great site!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to summer4077's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help summer4077 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
summer4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Most no-starts fall into two general categories, no-gas and no-spark. FIRST thing to do with a no-start is determine which category you're in. Remove the #1 and #4 spark plug wires at the coil pack. Observe the towers on the coil pack while someone cranks the engine. If you see spark between then, you have spark and it's likely a no-gas. If you don't see spark, well, then it's a no-spark.

My money's on the no-spark. If you got the SES code, and it came up with one for the crank position sensor, they're known to fail when hot (resulting in a no-spark), and come back to life when cool. Since the car will start cold, you can put it on ramps, which will make replacing the CPS MUCH easier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote