SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Dizzy Range Switch Shenanigans

Alright so by this point I've gone through 4 of these, 1 was my original 3 were You-Pull's(2 of witch I can take back).
I just babied the heck out of this new Duralast one and FINALLY got it tightened down and reading from "P" to "D" and "2" to "D".
I only did one cycle without the cable attached, I'm terrified that if I do more it'll stop reading....
So far combined with yesterday I've put 10hrs of effort into this switch and I don't know what I've been doing wrong. I've done everything I've read/seen to do...
I think I warped the others tightening the bolts or had bent the internal selector arm or something.. I can't believe these things are THAT delicate and how no-one else had had what seems like THIS much trouble.
(Though, I don't believe anyone else has swapped a model 93 trans into a model 96)

I Blue-locktighted the two bolts and wrapped blue tape(Should have used foil-tape) around the shaft to fill the empty space.
Well, I guess I'm off to rotate the selector arm some more, wish me luck.

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 240,000+ miles and purring smooth.
My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Range Switch Shenanigans

Based on the number of times the FSM says not to rotate the manual shift shaft or damage will occur, I'd say be careful of what you're rotating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transaxle Range Switch Replacement
Document ID# 881342

Removal Procedure

Ensure the ignition is OFF.
Remove the air cleaner and duct assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Housing and Duct Assembly Replacement in HVAC.

Disconnect the transaxle range switch harness connectors.
Place the control lever in the full clockwise position.

Notice
If manual shift shaft is rotated excessively, internal damage to the transaxle range switch may occur.

Prevent the manual shift shaft from rotating by holding the control lever while removing the retaining nut from the manual shift shaft. Remove the control lever.
Remove the 2 switch-to-transaxle case bolts and remove the switch.

Installation Procedure

Install the switch to the transaxle and install the switch-to case bolts. Do not tighten bolts at this time.
Install the control lever-to-manual shift shaft.

Notice
If manual shift shaft is rotated excessively, internal damage to the transaxle range switch may occur.

Prevent the manual shift shaft from rotating by holding the control lever while installing the retaining nut. Tighten
The transaxle control lever-to-manual detent shaft nut to 12 Nm (9 lb ft).

Install the cable to the control lever and adjust the cable. Refer to Shift Control Cable Adjustment .
Before tightening the transaxle range switch-to-case bolts, proceed to the Adjustment procedure.

Adjustment Procedure

Important
While adjusting the transaxle range switch, always rotate the switch towards the engine to achieve continuity. A diagnostic trouble code DTC P0706 could result if this procedure is not followed.

Important
Digital volt/ohm meter (DVOM) with audible continuity test is preferred. Do not stick the probe in the transaxle range switch terminal hole; use male terminals on the transaxle range switch or faulty readings could occur.

Place the transaxle in Drive (D). Use an ohmmeter or continuity tester to check for continuity across terminals on the selector switch. Rotate the transaxle range switch from the left fender towards the engine until continuity is achieved.

Tighten the switch-to-case bolts. After switch-to-case bolts have been tightened, check continuity. Tighten
Tighten the transaxle range switch-to-case bolts to 14 Nm (10 lb ft).

Connect the transaxle range switch harness connectors.
Install the air cleaner and duct assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Housing and Duct Assembly Replacement in HVAC.
Using a scan tool, ensure each gear position reads correctly while manually moving through all gears.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

I've had about as much trouble as you - not quite 10 hours though.

It's very hard to get right and another reason why I don't like automatics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
Nekomimi

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Based on the number of times the FSM says not to rotate the manual shift shaft or damage will occur, I'd say be careful of what you're rotating
" Notice
If manual shift shaft is rotated excessively, internal damage to the transaxle range switch may occur."
This is really vague though, does it mean rotated too far, too many times, or what?
Same here:
"Important
While adjusting the transaxle range switch, always rotate the switch towards the engine to achieve continuity. A diagnostic trouble code DTC P0706 could result if this procedure is not followed."
ok so how I'm I supposed to even put it on at all, or correctly adjust it if I over-shoot/false reading? I had to back track a couple times back all the way to the left, then finally got it.

Good news though, the switch stays continuous, now I just need to adjust the selector cable. At the moment it's almost spot on just need to jiggle the selector in "D". I just find this whole setup bizzar in complexity and frustration.

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 240,000+ miles and purring smooth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #5
Nekomimi

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Doh, you mean how many times it's mentioned not to, not that it say's how many times not to... Comprehension fail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 AM   #6
Nekomimi

1996 SL1

Sooo now I decided that I would tighten the bolts down just a tiny, tiny, bit to see if that would help it settle, and that was one of the worst decisions I could have done. 4hrs later it's stopped reading after I tighten it down to just snug and shift it back and forth, if i shift it back and forth enough times it'll register once then go back to "nopes-vile"....

I've noticed that there is a tiny bit of end play on the selector shaft, but it seems normal comparing to the old trans. The switch is also not an exact fit so it jiggles around the shaft, but they're all like that... I'm doing this the way I've read/watched how to do it and I'm just not understanding what's happening.

The 96' FSM only says to, Find continuity, tighten case bolts, re-check continuity, check electrical connections, put it all back together you're done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:52 AM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

If your PCM is seeing the right combination of contact closures for the various shifter positions, maybe your loss of continuity on that calibration contact is not so consequential . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...5&d=1329391067

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:02 AM   #8
Nekomimi

1996 SL1

Wait, I'm supposed to have the other two wire harness' attached as well? I was initially doing that but after the 2nd switch "died(?)" it seemed not necessary, the battery isn't plugged in either.

It seems like the more I have to fiddle with it the quicker it dies, but how is it dying if it's designed to rotate...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2014, 01:11 AM   #9
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomimi View Post
Wait, I'm supposed to have the other two wire harness' attached as well?
Not necessary for the adjustment procedure.

Quote:
It seems like the more I have to fiddle with it the quicker it dies, but how is it dying if it's designed to rotate...
How about checking the PCM output pins for the right switch closures in each shifter position?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...0&d=1373502911

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
Nekomimi

1996 SL1

So, yeah, I took off the switch reset the position "0" manually and tried again, but this time I pit a fiberwasher in the gap between the switch and the control arm. this would remove the shaft X and Z play inside the switch and apply pressure to remove the rotation play. Accurately moving the switch.
I Did the adjustment, tightened it down. and now it's reading spot-on every time, even after furiously racking the shifter.

I noticed on the old trans that there is the same amount back/forward play between the switch and control arm. So it's not that I didn't torque down the internal shaftnut on the new one.
What I'm thinking is I'll add a correctly sized washer or two behind the switch in-front of the retaining clip to keep the shaft where it should be.
Because from what I could tell by looking at the wear marks on my original switch and arm, is that it's the control-arm is what should apply pressure to the switch when fully tightened.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I Did the adjustment, tightened it down. and now it's reading spot-on every time, even after furiously racking the shifter.
And now we're gonna see if this fixes your "Incorrect Gear Ratio" codes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #12
Nekomimi

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
And now we're gonna see if this fixes your "Incorrect Gear Ratio" codes?
Bwhaha, yeah xD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
Nekomimi

1996 SL1

OK, positive test. I had removed the switch and placed some foil tape around the shaft. the switch was a snug slight-ish fit, it adjusted perfectly, put it all back together.
Took it for a spin and it held up/no codes around a loop in the neighborhood, witch is much better then before and shifted nicely. Took it on the road, accelerated up to 40mph. Everything is good, half mile down codes and then few hundred feet later dropped into 1st.
Pulled back into the neighborhood cleared the 3 codes started back home and it doesn't even last 100ft before it throws codes.
I get home and check the switch, after loosening it, it has rotational play in it again. So tomorrow I'll take it off again, reset the switch, add a bit more foil tape and try again.

I even put my SCCNA sticker on the back window to give Hellcat some more motivation haha. Looks real nice though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!