SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
V8GoneDOHC
V8GoneDOHC is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1993 SL2
Default Well, that's that!

Hey all,

Well I haven't been active in years; but you know how nostalgia is. When I first popped up on this forum I was a Junior in high school, getting a 1993 Saturn SL2 to replace my '85 Cougar. About a year later I got rid of it and got a 2000 Saturn LS1. Drove that thing ever since.

Until just now. As of a couple days ago, the LS1 is sold . To replace it, a 2014 Ford Focus SE Sport. For those who are keeping up with the story, I graduated high school in 2009. So I did at least get a few years out of my LS1.

For the record, when I first hopped on this forum, y'all told me about a ton of common problems. Not the least of which was the timing chains. I bought the car with about 70k on it, original motor, nothing done to the timing chains. Bought it from the original owner. Changed the oil every 3k, followed up with my maintenance.

And I'm here to tell you, that it is sold, and it has 297,000 miles on the odometer. I'm also here to tell you, that save for a bad AC compressor that I replaced, not one thing ever went wrong with that car. Not one. No timing chain issue, no steering issue, no nothing. I never did the oiler upgrade, or any of the stuff. In fact, for a while I kind of had this attitude (bred from forums and all of my L-series owning buddies) that without upgrading the oilers my engine was gonna blow any day now. So whatever, I was ready for a new car. When this one grenades, I'll get a new one. Kept driving it, kept maintaining it. When it hit 297,000 miles, I said forget it; I'm just gonna have to get a new car anyone because this one is not going to die.

No doubt, if Saturn was still around, and if they were still more/less their own company, not another platform-share GM product, there'd be a brand new one in the driveway instead of a Ford. Shame that they are not!

Kinda funny to think of how old this forum is, and how much can happen in a few years. When I signed up on this forum I was a kid in high school with no money and a wrench, asking questions on how to fix stuff because I couldn't afford to pay anyone else to do it! At the time I was also dating this sweet girl who lived an hour away which is how my poor saturns got so many stinking miles on them! (364k on the SL2, 297k on the LS1). Well, I couldn't afford to keep driving back and forth to her house anymore! So I married her . Now pursuing a Masters degree. Still wrenchin' on my own cars but sadly, there are no more Saturns in the driveway. Maybe one day Saturn will rise from the dead! But until then, see ya later!

Thanks everyone!

-John

Formerly;
1993 Saturn SL2
2000 Saturn LS1
1989 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Supercharged
1985 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0L V8

Currently;
2014 Ford Focus SE Sport
2002 Ford Taurus SEL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to V8GoneDOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help V8GoneDOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
V8GoneDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
eneloop
eneloop is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Well, that's that!

L-Series is on a GM shared platform.

All the best
eneloop@yahoo.com

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eneloop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eneloop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eneloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
V8GoneDOHC

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneloop View Post
L-Series is on a GM shared platform.
Yup. As I recall it was the first. Used a cookie cutter GM engine, etc.

I got lucky with the reliability of my L-series, if the forums are any indication. However, the reliability of my S-Series was pretty well 'expected'. Those S-Series cars were bulletproof. The L-Series, riddled with issues. I got lucky, but knowing the issues so many had I wouldn't buy another. Or I'd just get the Chevy variation or whatever.

Formerly;
1993 Saturn SL2
2000 Saturn LS1

Currently;
2014 Ford Focus SE Sport
2002 Ford Taurus SEL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help V8GoneDOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Thumbs Up Re: Well, that's that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GoneDOHC View Post
Hey all,

Well I haven't been active in years; but you know how nostalgia is. When I first popped up on this forum I was a Junior in high school, getting a 1993 Saturn SL2 to replace my '85 Cougar. About a year later I got rid of it and got a 2000 Saturn LS1. Drove that thing ever since.

Until just now. As of a couple days ago, the LS1 is sold . To replace it, a 2014 Ford Focus SE Sport. For those who are keeping up with the story, I graduated high school in 2009. So I did at least get a few years out of my LS1.

For the record, when I first hopped on this forum, y'all told me about a ton of common problems. Not the least of which was the timing chains. I bought the car with about 70k on it, original motor, nothing done to the timing chains. Bought it from the original owner. Changed the oil every 3k, followed up with my maintenance.

And I'm here to tell you, that it is sold, and it has 297,000 miles on the odometer. I'm also here to tell you, that save for a bad AC compressor that I replaced, not one thing ever went wrong with that car. Not one. No timing chain issue, no steering issue, no nothing. I never did the oiler upgrade, or any of the stuff. In fact, for a while I kind of had this attitude (bred from forums and all of my L-series owning buddies) that without upgrading the oilers my engine was gonna blow any day now. So whatever, I was ready for a new car. When this one grenades, I'll get a new one. Kept driving it, kept maintaining it. When it hit 297,000 miles, I said forget it; I'm just gonna have to get a new car anyone because this one is not going to die.

No doubt, if Saturn was still around, and if they were still more/less their own company, not another platform-share GM product, there'd be a brand new one in the driveway instead of a Ford. Shame that they are not!

Kinda funny to think of how old this forum is, and how much can happen in a few years. When I signed up on this forum I was a kid in high school with no money and a wrench, asking questions on how to fix stuff because I couldn't afford to pay anyone else to do it! At the time I was also dating this sweet girl who lived an hour away which is how my poor saturns got so many stinking miles on them! (364k on the SL2, 297k on the LS1). Well, I couldn't afford to keep driving back and forth to her house anymore! So I married her . Now pursuing a Masters degree. Still wrenchin' on my own cars but sadly, there are no more Saturns in the driveway. Maybe one day Saturn will rise from the dead! But until then, see ya later!

Thanks everyone!

-John
Great story! Thanks for sharing!!! Got any pictures of your Saturns?

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
V8GoneDOHC

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Great story! Thanks for sharing!!! Got any pictures of your Saturns?

Charlie
Just one pic of the 2000 Saturn. Was posted on facebook earlier by the person I sold it to (My sister in law, to use as her sons first car);

Missing a hubcab. It was broken and not replaced, but I'm sure this kid will find something exciting at Wal-Mart to put on the wheels, lol. He is pretty excited about it.

The '93 Saturn was a funky looking car. Only owned it a year. It had several different colored panels (was wrecked). Was a patched-together machine. I kinda liked it, though. Bought it for $300! Some guy (the same who had wrecked it and patched it together) needed to pay his attorney for yet-another DWI. He said he needed $300 otherwise his attorney wasn't go to court for him. So $300 got my '93 Saturn! Never have heard what happened with that guy. Hopefully he got straightened out and quit wrecking cars and getting DWI's!

Formerly;
1993 Saturn SL2
2000 Saturn LS1

Currently;
2014 Ford Focus SE Sport
2002 Ford Taurus SEL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!