SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Humble2002L300
Humble2002L300 is on a distinguished road

Default Cranks But Wont Start

2002 L300 V6 3.0

Replaced fule pump - Sending Unit - and Fuel filter when i got the car -

I was driving home from my Girlfriends house and the car shut off. powered down while driving. Put the car in park turned the key back from ON to ACC Tried to start the car and it would not turn over. The car cranks but wont turn over. Had the car Towed home

Car cranks but wont turn over.
Ran an OBD2 on it - Vacuum Leak - O2 Sensor - Crankshaft Positioning Sensor -

Replaced the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor - Easiest repair i have ever done on the car. -

Still wont Start-

Opened throttle body and shot ether in to it...wont even start.
Thinking there is no spark - Or Electrical Issue - IM AT A LOSS

PRIOR to the car dying there was a clicking noise at the Gear selector area - I thought this was the NEUTRAL SAFTEY SWITCH OR a Relay that was going bad - when the click of the relay or sensor would happen the Thermostat Gauge would loose pressure - It would drop and then come right back

The car sat for a month and did get a mouse in it. Nest was present when i opened the hood - seeing poop on the engine but cant find more signs now. - After finding the mouse i drove for 2 months and then it sat for a week again.

i have checked the fuel pump relay and the fuel fuse. There is Fuel coming to the Fuel rail coming out of the Schrader valve -

Could the Vacuum leak cause the car not to turn over?
Any one have any experience with this mystery sensor?

if the car jumped timing and BROKE the engine would it still crank?

Is there an anti theft sensor that may have gone bad and caused the ECU to shut off spark or fuel?

Could the injector "Pump" have gone bad...i don't even know if thats a real thing.

PLEASE HELP in any way that you can. Thank you Community.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Humble2002L300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Humble2002L300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Humble2002L300 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Cranks But Wont Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble2002L300 View Post
2002 L300 V6 3.0

Replaced fule pump - Sending Unit - and Fuel filter when i got the car - ......

Car cranks but wont turn over.
Ran an OBD2 on it - Vacuum Leak - O2 Sensor - Crankshaft Positioning Sensor -

Replaced the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor - Easiest repair i have ever done on the car. -

Still wont Start-

Opened throttle body and shot ether in to it...wont even start.
Thinking there is no spark - Or Electrical Issue - IM AT A LOSS

PRIOR to the car dying there was a clicking noise at the Gear selector area - I thought this was the NEUTRAL SAFTEY SWITCH OR a Relay that was going bad - when the click of the relay or sensor would happen the Thermostat Gauge would loose pressure - It would drop and then come right back
Thermostat gauges aren't related to pressure of any kind. What do you mean?

Quote:
The car sat for a month and did get a mouse in it. Nest was present when i opened the hood - seeing poop on the engine but cant find more signs now. - After finding the mouse i drove for 2 months and then it sat for a week again.
Is the mouse nesting removal what rectified your problem from the post linked below (five months ago)?

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...59#post2281059

Quote:
Could the Vacuum leak cause the car not to turn over?
In general, no, unless the vacuum leak is truly severe.

Quote:
if the car jumped timing and BROKE the engine would it still crank?
A jump of the timing belt could result in a no start condition due to a loss of compression. You might also hear extra noises from the engine as the pistons and valves are hitting each because the crankshaft and camshafts are out of time......"'Broke' the engine?" What does that mean?

Quote:
Is there an anti theft sensor that may have gone bad and caused the ECU to shut off spark or fuel?
Yes, it disables the fuel injectors although it's not a sensor. It's programming which is built into the BCM (Body Control Module [computer]), but it only works in conjunction with the RKE fob (Remote Keyless Entry). Are you using one with this car?

Quote:
Could the injector "Pump" have gone bad...i don't even know if thats a real thing.
Nope, no such thing. There's the fuel pump in the tank which delivers the fuel to the engine - that's it. It might be worth your while to pick up a fuel pressure gauge loaner tool from AutoZone or O'Reilly's to verify that the pressure is accurate for your engine: 39 - 49psi.

When was the timing belt last replaced and what is the current mileage?

Does the sound quality of the engine cranking remain the same as before this event or not? (If not then a compression test might be in order.)

Perhaps there are some damaged wires due to the rodent infestation that are hidden from your view.

296,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 08-30-2018 at 01:54 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Cranks But Wont Start

Humble2002L300, in addition to questions asked, did you check for blown fuses? Main fuses are in the engine bay, two more in each foot well (driver and passenger). Is the security indicator flashing quickly during starting or off. GMs Passlock anti theft system disables injector operation when security is flashing. When enabled and armed via remote, security blinks slowly (car with an oversize padlock symbol).

Presuming ether was sprayed and the engine refuses to fire up suggests ignition system (no spark) issues. It would be unusual for both coil packs to fail, possibly pointing to fuse(s).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote