SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
RKelly5327
RKelly5327 will become famous soon enoughRKelly5327 will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 2003 LW300 door swing check link broken

Okay gang, here we go. My wife's LW300 wagon has a cracked door swing check link on the driver's side door. It makes a horribly loud crack when you open the door. It's a weird looking thing. It looks like it has a sleeve over the arm part of the link. That sleeve is what's cracked. I'm wondering if anyone has replaced one of these on a wagon and if the door panel has to be removed. I would imagine it does as the hidden end of the check link is inside the door. I found a used one on eBay for $28.50 which is for the L200, but I would imagine they're the same. I checked the part number on it and it's the same part number basically. Mine has J2902 stamped on it with an F underneath the number, which I assume just means front and must fit either front door. The one on eBay has J2902 with FR under the number, but looks like all you do is turn it over and it has J2902 FL stamped on the other side. Also, the listing says OEM 02-03 Saturn L200 Front Driver/Passenger's Side Door Swing Limiter. So, it does look like it fits either side.
Now, how much of a job is it to get the door panel off? It has electric windows and door lock, but I doubt that's any big deal. The issue is always the door handle, getting that off.
MY 2002 SL1 just keeps running along just fine. Gets great gas mileage! It doesn't ride like the '83 Mark VI Lincoln I had but the Lincoln didn't get around 40 mpg, either.
Thanks to all and I'm glad the site here is still active!
Ron K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RKelly5327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RKelly5327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RKelly5327 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2018, 11:03 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 LW300 door swing check link broken

I haven't looked at my car (same year but a 4dr sedan) and presume check links are the same. According to service manual drawings, the door panel is removed then the water deflector/door seal. This allows access to the internal bolts holding the door check link for removal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: 2003 LW300 door swing check link broken

Fdryer, is correct BUT......I have replaced this part 2 times on 2 different cars by simply removing the 4 phillips head screws at the bottom of the door panel.

The door panel can be wedged open at the bottom with a 2" X 4" or similar. Then remove the front speaker. You can replace this part then. Access is through the speaker opening.

A whole lot easier than removing the entire door panel.

It's important to note that this is only possible on the front doors. The rear door panels have clips that require the whole door panel to be removed.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote