SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #21
dabooge
dabooge is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How to save 500+ on a fuel pump replacement

Got the pump today and installed it. Car is running fine now. I have to say taking apart the plastic pump housing is quite stressful. I tried removing the small tube from the original pump and snapped off the plastic barb. That's ok because there are replacement tubes that comes with the new pump. I ended up heating the tubes with the heat gun to get the new tubes on because it was way too tight otherwise. I welded 1-1/2" strips of metal on the panel I had cut out and left a 3/4 lip around the perimeter. I have sheet metal punch pliers so I punched 8 holes around the lip. I marked the hole locations and then used a center drill to make starter holes for the 3/8 sheet metal screws. I then sealed the lip. Thanks again Jym for posting, so happy I found this thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SATURN 2.jpg (124.8 KB, 130 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dabooge's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dabooge reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dabooge is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #22
huyroy
huyroy is on a distinguished road

I am so thankful that I found this before the weekend. The new pump just arrived yesterday and I have been dreading to start the job this weekend because the thought of having to remove the exhaust and the tank from under just doesnt give me any motivation to do it. Anyways, this will make it like 100 times easier. One question though, What do you guys use to cut the hole with? the most safe way possible. Once again. Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to huyroy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help huyroy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
huyroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #23
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'm responding, but in truth I've not had to replace my fuel pump yet and thus have not attempted this alternative repair method. That having been said, I would think that a vibrating/oscillating cutter would probably be the safest choice in this location. The unit can be controlled more easily so that blade does not travel deeply past the steel it's cutting through.

Whatever tool you choose in this instance be sure to wear something to protect your hearing. The noise generated from this is loud, at a very high frequency, and you're very close to it. Protective ear muffs would be best.

296,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #24
jym
jym will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I would stay away of electric cutting tolls just because the thought of any spark around that area makes me unconfortable.

When I did it , a few years back, I used a metal cutting tool that sat flush with the underside of the floor pan and found out that a lot of the plumbing rest very close to the actual sear pan.

This summer, I had to change m y pump again because the connector cracked and a gas smell was starting to grow.

Im glad to say that new pump fixed the problem, but I had to cut open 3 lseriers floor open at the UPull place to get one pump out.

first one was a wagon and I dont understand why, but the plumbing and the pump were completly different. The second one, I went and broke the conncetor with the cutting tool. The third one I got right

I could not find my original tools and had to use regular scissor type scissors for the the 3 cuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jym's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jym reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:32 PM   #25
jym

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I would stay away of electric cutting tolls just because the thought of any spark around that area makes me unconfortable.

When I did it , a few years back, I used a metal cutting tool that sat flush with the underside of the floor pan and found out that a lot of the plumbing rest very close to the actual sear pan.

This summer, I had to change m y pump again because the connector cracked and a gas smell was starting to grow.

Im glad to say that new pump fixed the problem, but I had to cut open 3 lseriers floor open at the UPull place to get one pump out.

first one was a wagon and I dont understand why, but the plumbing and the pump were completly different. The second one, I went and broke the conncetor with the cutting tool. The third one I got right

I could not find my original cutting tool and had to use regular scissor type scissors for the the 3 cuts. Very hard on the hands but worth it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jym's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jym reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2015, 11:35 PM   #26
jym

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

3 cuts for a pump

2 posts for a reply.. I smell a trend here.

sorry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jym's Reputation
Old 12-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #27
Adrzayich
Adrzayich is on a distinguished road

I know it's been a year since this thread has been posted to but I have to say that it just saved me $400 and a ton of time. Thank you to all that contributed!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Adrzayich's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Adrzayich reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Adrzayich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:20 PM   #28
Niagol
Niagol is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: How to save 500+ on a fuel pump replacement

I hate to revive a zombie thread but I'm looking for this exact same info but for a 2003 Saturn LW-300. Being a wagon I know the tank is in a slightly different location but can't seem to find anybody that was a genius like you guys doing it on the wagon!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niagol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Niagol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Niagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #29
GTS350
GTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jym View Post
Got my neighbor to be my security officer with garden hose in hand
NEVER use water on a Gasoline fire!!!!

1999 Saturn SC2 (automatic) 23,000 orig miles (9/10/16)
1996 BMW E36
1971 Holden Monaro GTS 350
1908 Buick Model 10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GTS350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GTS350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote