SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line

Old 08-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
CrunkedRL
CrunkedRL is on a distinguished road

Default RL Seat Replacement w/ Ricaro Sport Seat

Hey fellow Saturnfans

I was wondering if you someone could tell me is it possible to transplant the black leather/suede Recaro seats into an RL that has regular leather seats? I called Saturn North's parts department today and the guy stated that both seat types use a different rail to mount the seat and that it would not be possible. But I was thinking couldn't I just by the rail too? I mean I seen the Recaro seats used in some 05' models which is the exact same body style as my 04'. If its possible how much would these seats cost? I would imagine they would be pretty pricey but they might be worth it.
CrunkedRL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
D C
D C is on a distinguished road

Default Re: RL Seat Replacement w/ Ricaro Sport Seat

If you're talking about the seats in the later '05 and '06 Redlines, they're not Recaro seats. But if you did get some of those seats, they'd bolt right in.

Other Recaro seats would at worst need to be adapted to the seat tracks on your VUE. Shouldn't be a big deal.
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 PM   #3
turbotoad
turbotoad is on a distinguished road

Don't forget that the VUE front seats have air bag sensors inside of them. The sensors send info back to the airbag module which control how the airbags deploy (weight of occupant, position of seat, etc). The passenger seat detects the presence of a passenger and "activates" the PSIR. You will notice the passenger airbag status (de-activated if no passenger is sitting in the seat) is displayed on the dash.

Removing either seat would more than likely screw up the aurbag system and throw a code, thus lighting up the SRS warning light on the instrument panel. If you were to get into an accident the airbags may not deploy properly. Not good! The more advanced todays cars get, the less modications can be done without drastic re-engineering efforts.
turbotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:06 AM   #4
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Not a Vue guy but saw the subject on the main page. I wasn't aware they ever put Recaro style seats in the Vue RL. But I can tell you that there are no special sensors in 04 Ion seats. The passenger side has none and the drivers just has the standard one in the seatbelt latch. That is true for both the standard and Recaros. Ion RL seat frames are also interchangeable with standard. In fact the Recaros are really just a modification of the standard seat. From the labels and construction, I'd day they come from the same plant. Recaro designed/licensed would be a better description.

You should be able to retrofit newer seats in an older Vue. The reverse would not be true due to the new sensor standards.
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
D C
D C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNut
Not a Vue guy but saw the subject on the main page. I wasn't aware they ever put Recaro style seats in the Vue RL.
The VUE seats aren't Recaro.

Quote:
You should be able to retrofit newer seats in an older Vue. The reverse would not be true due to the new sensor standards.
That's 100% correct.
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
VUE TO KILL
VUE TO KILL is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

I know for a fact that there is no problem changing the seats in the rl. I removed the guts of my 04 to install a full dyno-mat kit and wire amps hidden throughout the vehicle. I drove the car with only one seat for at least a week and moved it in and out of a small garage sitting on a bucket, no alarms went off
Keepin it Clean
VUE TO KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #7
CrunkedRL
CrunkedRL is on a distinguished road

Thanks uys for all the useful inforamtion. I knew that parts guy from Saturn North didn't know what he was talking about. Thanks too for clarifying the fact that the seats in question are not recaro seats. I know somtimes a name can determine a major price difference when shopping around.
CrunkedRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:08 PM   #8
turbotoad
turbotoad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUE TO KILL
I know for a fact that there is no problem changing the seats in the rl. I removed the guts of my 04 to install a full dyno-mat kit and wire amps hidden throughout the vehicle. I drove the car with only one seat for at least a week and moved it in and out of a small garage sitting on a bucket, no alarms went off

The 04' should be doable, but the 06' passenger seat definatlely has a sensor in it. I just went out to my VUE, started it up, and observed the passenger airbag status window (centered right above the radio). The system showed that the passenger side air bag was "off". So I walked around the vehicle and got into the passenger seat. Within about 3 seconds the passenger side air bag activated and the display now read "on".

I've attached some images of information I found about the passenger air bag system. You can read it and determine for yourself if you want to go ahead and tamper with the system. By replacing the stock 06' seats with aftermarket ones that have no sensor system the SIR processor will no longer function correctly. But it looks like you can put the new seats into an older Vue without a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: gif SIRstuff.gif (49.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: gif SIRinfo.gif (18.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: gif seatsensor1.gif (31.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: gif seatremoval1.gif (26.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: gif seatremoval2.gif (18.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by turbotoad; 08-19-2006 at 11:18 PM.
turbotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:22 PM   #9
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Good info there turbotoad. I wasn't aware that the 06 had a passenger presence sensor to activate the passenger side airbag. But, as the diagram indicates, it's just a pad under the seat cushion. If you were to replace the stock seat with the seat from the "EBONY" package with the suede leather exterior, I bet you could put that sensor pad under that seat cushion as well to make sure the airbag sensor still worked. Not exactly rocket science.

I've got heated leather seats, and I've got serious envy of those ebony package seats too... If I ever came across a set, I'd either yank the heaters out and install them in the ebony seats or just live without the heated seats. I know I could come up with other uses for those switches. mwuhahahah!
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote