SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 07-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
n8rg8r
n8rg8r is on a distinguished road

Default 05 Ion - "key/ignition cylinder" issue - not fully turning

Hi, I have an 05 Ion and am having an issue with where I put the key into the ignition. I've had this part replaced recently but is till causing me problems on occasion. I can put the key in, turn it forward and start the car. I've never had a problem with that. But, on occasion, when I turn the car off, rotate the key backwards, sometimes it sticks in the middle position and won't rotate back fully and allow me to remove the key.
I've recently had this "part" replaced by a local dealership, but I'm still having this problem on occasion.
It is "better", but I'd think this shouldn't happen at all...ever.
Any thoughts or comments about this would be greatly appreciated!!
n8rg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2
Default Re: 05 Ion - "key/ignition cylinder" issue - not fully turning

We don't like Ions on this forum. Try next door --> Ion forum
MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8rg8r View Post
Hi, I have an 05 Ion and am having an issue with where I put the key into the ignition. I've had this part replaced recently but is till causing me problems on occasion. I can put the key in, turn it forward and start the car. I've never had a problem with that. But, on occasion, when I turn the car off, rotate the key backwards, sometimes it sticks in the middle position and won't rotate back fully and allow me to remove the key.
I've recently had this "part" replaced by a local dealership, but I'm still having this problem on occasion.
It is "better", but I'd think this shouldn't happen at all...ever.
Any thoughts or comments about this would be greatly appreciated!!
If the key and cylinder are both new and the key is a dealer cut key then a very small amount of powdered mica lube should fix it. If it is not a dealer cut key then the first thing to do is get a new key cut.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member
Zosozeppelin is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
We don't like Ions on this forum. Try next door --> Ion forum

As for the cylinder issue, they're known for being picky. Do as Oldnuc suggested, and if it comes down to it, you may have to have it replaced again. Supposedly GM came out with a new design for it (and I hope the work is under warranty still). They usually only act up in cold weather though, so it is in all odds the key. As previously stated, have the dealer cut you a new key and it should work. Switching my key out to my spare solved the problem for me.
Elizabeth

'06 Level 3 Quad Coupe. 140K as of 5-3-15. Traded for 2015 Chevy SS. Gone but not forgotten.

Current: 2017 2LT/RS 50th Anniversary Camaro
Zosozeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote