SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 03-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
mudawg
mudawg is on a distinguished road

Default Abs Light issue, ive searched and repaired still an issue.

I recently had my abs light go on and stay on since that day about a month ago. I read searched online here for a solution.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ight=ABS+Light

This thread gave me good details so I measured and one sensor wasn't reading at all so I figured for sure that was the issue. After I replaced the drivers side rear wheel sensor only the abs light went off. Now if I start the car and let it idle it will not come on. If I drive down the road within 30 seconds the abs light stays on for the remainder of the drive and never goes off. It doesn't matter if I hit the breaks or not it will come on once I'm driving.

I searched and found that the reading should be around approximately between 800-1500 and all mine are within that range now except for the rear passenger which is consistently 1750. All my others are about 1550 which confuses me if 1500 is really the ceiling?

I'm hoping it just might be the rear passenger but can anyone confirm that 800-1500 is correct and 1750 would be a bad one for sure? or any other suggestions I would be greatly appreciative!

2.2 fwd with 117k
mudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Abs Light issue, ive searched and repaired still an issue.

The service manual extract I reviewed gives range of 800-1700. Don't know how accurate your meter is - but I doubt if 50 ohms over upper limit is a show-stopper.

The problem could be related to wiring between wheel sensor and ABS controller (EBCM). Try to find a "better" code scanner to determine which code is being set.

The document in post # 5 of following thread has a description for each code:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172989
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
mudawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
The service manual extract I reviewed gives range of 800-1700. Don't know how accurate your meter is - but I doubt if 50 ohms over upper limit is a show-stopper.

The problem could be related to wiring between wheel sensor and ABS controller (EBCM). Try to find a "better" code scanner to determine which code is being set.

The document in post # 5 of following thread has a description for each code:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172989
thanks for the reply.... I dont have any code scanners and it looks like auto zone, napa etc dont have one for abs unless you purchase... looks like I might have to bring it to a dealer
Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudawg View Post
... looks like I might have to bring it to a dealer
I remember Meineke was able to tell another member which wheel was setting his code.
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Maybe try cleaning the connectors? If water is a factor, it sounds like something isn't insulated enough.
Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
mudawg

thanks for all the help... I took it to GM and they charged me 100 bucks and said the same rear wheel sensor was not making good contact and offered to try to clean it for only 250 dollars but made no guarantee. They said the ohms were good but when the wheel was spinning it wasn't picking up resulting in abs light.

They suggested replacing the hub. I paid the 100 for the diagnostic fee and went home. Removed the hub cleaned contacts and put the sensor back in. Drove and the light was gone awesome! then I stopped and still no light but the anti lock kick on at real low speeds..... Could it really just need a new hub? I don't really see what the hub does that would affect that? I pulled battery for one minute to reset and still abs kicks on real low speeds but no abs light on? I pulled abs fuse and abs doesn't kick on but the light goes on obviously, put fuse back in light goes away but anti lock kick on slow speeds again.... I'm going nuts!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
bluesl2
Master Member
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

The wheel speed sensor that you said was out of range resistance wise is probably defective. I've seen the wheel sensors on the vues do that at speeds below 5 mph. Once the vehicle speed goes below 5 mph, the signal on the defective sensor drops to 0 mph, even though you are still moving. The abs computer sees 0 mph on that one wheel and thinks the wheel is locked up and not turning so it starts pulsing the pressure to that wheel.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
mudawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesl2 View Post
The wheel speed sensor that you said was out of range resistance wise is probably defective. I've seen the wheel sensors on the vues do that at speeds below 5 mph. Once the vehicle speed goes below 5 mph, the signal on the defective sensor drops to 0 mph, even though you are still moving. The abs computer sees 0 mph on that one wheel and thinks the wheel is locked up and not turning so it starts pulsing the pressure to that wheel.
I already replaced the one out of range and after cleaning the hub the light finally went out but now the anti locks kick in. are you suggesting I got a bad sensor that was new?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I already replaced the one out of range and after cleaning the hub the light finally went out but now the anti locks kick in. are you suggesting I got a bad sensor that was new?
Do you have a voltmeter that'll check AC voltage?

According to procedure referenced earlier (post 2), if you connect meter leads to sensor and spin wheel the voltage should exceed 100 millivolts.

If voltage is not good - but resistance is OK - try repositioning the sensor in hub. You could also use a can of compressor air to clear any debris from sensor opening.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
mudawg

replaced the hub and it came with a new sensor so I used that as well so both parts are brand new. No abs light but when I stop the abs kicks on. I have no idea. any other ideas?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
mudawg

Quote:
replaced the hub and it came with a new sensor so I used that as well so both parts are brand new. No abs light but when I stop the abs kicks on. I have no idea. any other ideas?
after I posted this I called GM where they scanned it for the 100 bucks. They said when I brought it in the front left had a code but they were able to clear it and it didnt come back. The service guy said even though no abs light it could be triggering the abs to kick in at low speeds. So I removed it, cleaned it with air and knocked away rust etc like others have mentioned. Put everything back and the abs light is now back on so im thinking that front left is back as well. I could tell that the hub is all rusted and doesnt look like a smooth surface where the sensor mounts.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #12
RB42
RB42 is on a distinguished road

I know it's not the same vehicle, but... my 04 Camaro ABS would false a few days after driving through water when I was almost stopped. (Which can be pretty scary when you are trying to stop in a hurry!)

I found a wheel connector that should have had a rubber grommet thing around the connector for waterproofing - didnt - and the inside of the connector was wet.

Dried it out and bought a replacement connector just for the waterproofing grommet part, and never had problems again. The sensors dont handle a lot of current, so even though the water wasnt totally shorting the signals, it was doing enough to weaken slower speed signaling to the point that ABS saw a locked (no rotation signal) wheel.

Might want to check ALL the connections from ABS unit to the sensor, even unplug ABS unit and sensor and measure the lines for shorts to ground or each other. Try a wiggle test too.
RB42 is offline   Reply With Quote