SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 12-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default short throw shifter

I'm making my short throw shifter at work while the boss is on Christmas vacation, and I was wondering how much the point where the cable attaches is extended on the aftermarket ones.

I already have the whole thing apart, and the brackets sandblasted. I thought about powdercoating them, but for now I'm just going to use some Rustoleum on them. I'm polishing the shaft up, because I don't have a shift boot. I thought about making a gated shifter, but the throw is already so short where the console comes up, that it wouldn't be much of a gate...

Also, the shaft is 9/16s, so any shift knob threaded as, say, 9/16 - 18 would work. Just use a die on the shaft, after you take it down a few thousandths with a dremel or something.
If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2
Default Re: short throw shifter

When I made mine, I extended the part below the fulcrum until it almost touched the floor.

As for making the top portion threaded, make sure you can find shift knobs in that thread size first. When I did mine, I found that a bell housing to block bolt was the same thread size and pitch as a Chevy Cobalt leather knob. So I cut a couple inches off the top of the shifter and welded the threaded portion of the knob in its place.

Another thing to be aware of is the area the cables pass through the shifter frame. With the cables now being lower and having more movement than before, they'll hit the sides of the opening. It'll have to be enlarged in every direction.

Overall, its a pretty easy project if you have welding skills. I'm pretty happy with mine.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
KevinVarnes
KevinVarnes has a spectacular aura aboutKevinVarnes has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
1995 SW2

On the one that I'm making I'm raising up the shifter pivot 3/4" and lowering the cable attachment point below the pivot 3/4" so the cable position itself will be the same as a stock shifter.
'85 Ford LTD Squire
'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'97 T-Bird LX
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W
'98 Saturn SW2 5 Speed (wife's car)
KevinVarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
On the one that I'm making I'm raising up the shifter pivot 3/4" and lowering the cable attachment point below the pivot 3/4" so the cable position itself will be the same as a stock shifter.
By your description, you're not accomplishing anything but removing 3/4" of material above the fulcrum. Thats not a short throw shifter.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Actually,
Quote:
.... and lowering the cable attachment point below the pivot 3/4"
This means the distance between the cable attachment and the pivot is 3/4" more than stock, which makes for a shorter throw. Raising the pivot point, relative to the floor, by the same amount, means the cables pass through exactly as they did before (given the reputation of our cables, that's not a bad idea).
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I've already cut tons off the top of my shifter, so as a shot in the dark, I was going to add .600 below the fulcrum. Also, I already machined out a block of aluminum .520 thick to raise the fulcrum, so the cable connects straight, just like stock. I don't think .08 is gonna be that big a deal... Plus, I'm putting everything back together with bolts, so I can always change it later. I read that the aftermarket ones don't have the dangly from the shaft, that it's solid. I was curios if anyone had some experience with this. I'm going to make mine with the dangly, but after I hook it up if I don't need it, I'm going to weld it solid.

I think Corvette used 9/16-18 for a while, so that would be perfect. I was already planning on making sure that some car with a huge aftermarket had something in 9/16, but I can use helicoils for something smaller, or drill and tap a knob. Or just make my own. My coworker made one out of aluminum, but I want something heavy. I have a chrome knob that I drilled out to fit, and it came with a set screw. Titanium would be cool, but probably too light. Oh, I know. Carbide. Not gonna be fun to make, but nice and heavy.
If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS
Old 12-28-2009, 01:18 AM   #7
KevinVarnes
KevinVarnes has a spectacular aura aboutKevinVarnes has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
1995 SW2

I don't have my models or measurements in front of me, but I think if you drop the cable attachment .600 below the main pivot you may still have enough of the original shift shaft to just redrill a new hole for the cable attachment bracket pivot pin (just pulled out the parts, may be a little tight on making that happen).

I think you are right that .080" is not going to make much difference in the cable alignment.

I am also going to cut about 1.25" off the top of the shift shaft (where the shift knob attaches) to make it a bit shorter. The shifter I got from the junkyard is already cut with a threaded shaft welded on to it so I'm not sure how it compares to a normal stock shifter.
'85 Ford LTD Squire
'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'97 T-Bird LX
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W
Old 12-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
I don't have my models or measurements in front of me, but I think if you drop the cable attachment .600 below the main pivot you may still have enough of the original shift shaft to just redrill a new hole for the cable attachment bracket pivot pin (just pulled out the parts, may be a little tight on making that happen).

I think you are right that .080" is not going to make much difference in the cable alignment.

I am also going to cut about 1.25" off the top of the shift shaft (where the shift knob attaches) to make it a bit shorter. The shifter I got from the junkyard is already cut with a threaded shaft welded on to it so I'm not sure how it compares to a normal stock shifter.
Ya, I just drilled the hole .6 lower on the shaft. Plenty of room, especially since I'm using a 1/4-20 bolt instead of the slightly larger pin that was in there. I've cut about 3" off the top over the years, maybe more. It's almost ready to go together, I just gotta weld the extension on for the lateral movement, and mill the hole in my spacer plate that raises the pivot point up so the cables line up. I drilled the holes for the bolts, but forgot the big hole in the middle.
DCS
Old 12-29-2009, 02:10 AM   #9
KevinVarnes

2000 SL1
1995 SW2

Make sure you make the hole in the spacer big enough so it isn't limiting the displacement of the shifter and you are able to get full cable travel. I'm actually making my spacer from two .375" pieces of material. The top plate will have a 1.50" hole to support the ball socket bearing and the bottom plate will have a 2.00" hole to fully clear the shift shaft below the main pivot. Not sure if you actually need all of the travel or not, but it can't hurt.
'85 Ford LTD Squire
'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'97 T-Bird LX
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W
Old 12-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Make sure you make the hole in the spacer big enough so it isn't limiting the displacement of the shifter and you are able to get full cable travel. I'm actually making my spacer from two .375" pieces of material. The top plate will have a 1.50" hole to support the ball socket bearing and the bottom plate will have a 2.00" hole to fully clear the shift shaft below the main pivot. Not sure if you actually need all of the travel or not, but it can't hurt.
Haha. So far everything everyone has posted I've seen at the end of the day, when I did what they posted before I saw it. I got it all done today, and brought it home. Hooked it all up, travel is just fine. Remember to cut the hole in the original bracket bigger. I'm close, but looks like it will clear just fine.
DCS
Old 01-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

All done, in the car. I'll try to post a pic. I only raised it up .5", and it's just a hair away from hitting the center console. So, anyone attempting it, keep that in mind. Also, no boot will really work. I was going to try a gated shifter, but the lateral throw is so short that it won't really work. I had the universal rubber boot from the auto store before, upside down (can't remember who pioneered that idea), but now even that wont fit.
DCS
Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's the picture of the shifter before I put it in the car. If anyone has any ideas on something to keep the dust out of the assembly, let me know.

DCS
Old 01-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
snopro1379
snopro1379 is on a distinguished road

i got a 97 sw2 and am looking into doing some mods......what did you have to all do to accomplish making the new shifter....im a welder by trade so that wouldnt be a problem.........?????? of course its stick
snopro1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopro1379 View Post
i got a 97 sw2 and am looking into doing some mods......what did you have to all do to accomplish making the new shifter....im a welder by trade so that wouldnt be a problem.........?????? of course its stick
Raise the pivot point, extend the lower end of the shifter, shorten the upper end of the shifter.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote