SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
todd8
todd8 has a spectacular aura abouttodd8 has a spectacular aura about

Default Intermediate Shaft ?

I have a 99 SL2 with 93K Miles. I notice a clunking sound coming from the passenger side front, when going over bumps. I replaced the struts and strut mounts last year, but the noise is still there. While changing the oil today, I noticed some play in the connection between the CV joint section of the drive axle and the intermediate shaft.

Questions?

Should there be any (up and down) play in this connection? When I say connection, I mean the black cast unit that joins the two shafts.

What is inside of this connection?

Could a bad connection cause a clunking noise when going over bumps?

Any other suggestions on what to check?
todd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
saturncrzy
saturncrzy will become famous soon enough

1992 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Intermediate Shaft ?

i would check your ball joints. The black shaft you are talking about is really just a shaft to connect to the cv half shafts. If it moves then you probaly have so play in the bolts holding it to the block so check that also.
saturncrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
todd8
todd8 has a spectacular aura abouttodd8 has a spectacular aura about

I am sorry, I should have been clearer. When I said their was movement, I didn't mean the black cast part that joins the two shafts was moving, what is actually moving up and down is the shaft. When lying underneath the car, and grasping the outer shaft (towards wheel, not the shaft towards the trans) I can move it up and down within the black cast connector piece.

I am not sure if this is normal, allowing for play between the outer CV shaft and the inner intermediate shaft, or if this joint is supposed to be solid?

I will check the ball joints, but with the update, do you have any other recommendations?
todd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
jk3006
jk3006 will become famous soon enough

How much movement? I'm not positive, but I don't think that is right at all.
jk3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

IT sounds like the bearing that is in the black casting that is bolted to the block has up and failed. The inner CV joint hub should not move up and down. Try moving the wheel end of the intermediate shaft.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
nitroussaturn
nitroussaturn will become famous soon enough

all s-series intermediate shafts have play at the bearing even new,i doubt thats the problem
nitroussaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
angelaw
angelaw is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
IT sounds like the bearing that is in the black casting that is bolted to the block has up and failed. The inner CV joint hub should not move up and down. Try moving the wheel end of the intermediate shaft.

I know this is an old thread, but after having really bad wobble/vibration issues and taking it to a couple dealers, boils down to this part being bad. The bearing between the intermediate shaft and right cv axle that bolts to the block. What is the name of that bearing exactly (trying to find part) and any instructions on how to replace?
Angela

02 SL2 Green Goblin
02 SL2 White Whisper

96 SL1 Green Gerty Gone
97 SC2 Cracker Jack (never knew what u were going to get)
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There used to be a dealer repair kit. It was part of a TSB relating to a squeak or squeal from the seal on the shaft. The TSB is 01-T-11 and all it provides is a new seal assembly, part number 21013415. There is no part number for the bearing. there are 3 different intermediate shafts 91-93, 94-00, and 00-02. the design changed in the middle of the 00 model year. I suspect disassembly is not a pleasant task and you have to pull the seal and the push the shaft out of the bearing and the bearing out of the housing. Then you have to find a replacement bearing. It sounds like a self aligning ball bearing but I have not disassembled one to look. I would go dig one up from the pick and pull and then before installing inject some EP-1 Amsoil Synthetic Polymeric Truck, Chassis and Equipment Grease, NLGI #1 and I would think real hard about flushing the bearing out before relubing with the Amsoil grease.

My preference would be a ISO 680 gear oil/pourable grease.

You could do that to a JY shaft without trashing the seal. The seal is a $30.00 part and the kit comes with a tube of "axle grease" which is probably the same stuff that is in the CV joint, an SAE 190 or 250 gear oil.

If you find one of these that has fresh grease then it should be good right out of the box. As it is a self aligning bearing there is some wobble axially of the shaft.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
angelaw

1996 SL1
2002 SL2

So I take it would be easier to get a whole intermediate shaft with the bearing/bracket on it from a jy and just replace the seal in the tranny where the intermediate goes into, and connect to the cv?
Angela

02 SL2 Green Goblin
02 SL2 White Whisper

96 SL1 Green Gerty Gone
Old 02-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The 96 and 02 are different parts. Be sure to get one for the correct year car. I would not change the seal in the transaxle unless the one that was in there was leaking. And if the transaxle seal was leaking I would be wondering why. I would just get a nice intermediate shaft from a JY that had not been open to the rain and dirt. In other words still have an axle in it and be stuck into a transaxle.

There is always the possibility that the bearing was a proprietary design which means you can not find a replacement. So you would have to disassemble a shaft assembly to see what bearing was in it.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #11
angelaw

1996 SL1
2002 SL2

It would be for the 96. The 02 is fine
Angela

02 SL2 Green Goblin
02 SL2 White Whisper

96 SL1 Green Gerty Gone
Old 02-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The difference between the 2 is the transaxle seal protector location. On the 96 it is on the transmission and on the 06/00 and newer it is on the intermediate shaft. So you want a 94-06/00 intermediate shaft.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
angelaw

1996 SL1
2002 SL2

decided not to fix. besides trying to locate one, add in the set of tires it's going to need since out of round, the transmission that's going out (which I don't have the tools/equipment to replace it) and the a/c compressor. Just too much $ for me to put into. So I have my 02 for now, and I'll look for something else for my son now
Angela

02 SL2 Green Goblin
02 SL2 White Whisper

96 SL1 Green Gerty Gone
Old 02-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Sounds like it is time to find a new Saturn...
Old 02-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
angelaw

1996 SL1
2002 SL2

yep looking at another 02 sl2 manual with power everything for 900, needs an engine. So left message with company that did the engine in the 1996 way back when.
Angela

02 SL2 Green Goblin
02 SL2 White Whisper

96 SL1 Green Gerty Gone
Old 02-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

DIY engine overhaul is a 1000 - 1200 proposition. That would make 900 a good price.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #17
angelaw

1996 SL1
2002 SL2

well here a 100k engine is 1200, 66k engine is 1600 not including labor. Even JY if I got it are 950 for 100+k engines. wow. never mind.
Angela

02 SL2 Green Goblin
02 SL2 White Whisper

96 SL1 Green Gerty Gone