saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 08-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 3.0L Oil Cooler issue NOT fixed & steering issue

We had a 2000 LS2 with the 3.0l engine and went through a few oil coolers, no big deal, under extended warranty at that time ($100 deduct ea. time). Not complaining there.

Sell the 2000 LS2. Was going to buy a Vue. Instead am lured by the 0% financing on the 2005 L300's back then. Read here and asked the techs at Saturn, "the oil cooler problem with the seal has been remedied" prior to the 2005 model year....

We are on our 3rd oil cooler at 53,000 miles on our 2005 L300, thank god we got the no deductible exrtend warranty!! Unforunately the warranty is up at 60k though

I just needed to vent I want to let people know that at least on the 2005 L300, even the ones that the dealer replaced 2x already, they still go bad in very little time.

So the car is going to be dropped off today at Saturn. We had it in about 6 months ago for its last warranty work, the steering wheel makes clunks when you turn it and it loose feeling. They greased the boot, which wasnt under warranty. Well after that, it was even worse. Now its more loose and makes more noises. I noticed the rack and pinion has what appears to be PS fluid with dirt stuck to it all around the part where the steering shaft enters. I dont want to drop the car off and have them grease this stupid boot again, I want the problem remedied. What possibly can I say to make them fix the rack and pinion vs. just greasing the stupid boot and sending me on my way?
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: 3.0L Oil Cooler issue NOT fixed & steering issue

Sorry to hear about your oil coolers. I too was under the (apparent) misapprehension that the issue was fixed for the 2005 model year. Ours was still fine when we traded it in at 44,000 miles.

Didn't I read that the sealant material or procedure had changed, and that was supposed to cure the problem?

Was it always the same dealer that did the work?

Love the BS flag
Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj View Post
Sorry to hear about your oil coolers. I too was under the (apparent) misapprehension that the issue was fixed for the 2005 model year. Ours was still fine when we traded it in at 44,000 miles.

Didn't I read that the sealant material or procedure had changed, and that was supposed to cure the problem?

Was it always the same dealer that did the work?

Love the BS flag
Thanks -its not very often I post the BS flag - its gotta be pretty serious...lol

Saturn of Warren, Mi. replaced the first oil cooler and Saturn of Lakeside (the dealer we buy our saturns from) has done the 2nd, and now the 3rd. The first one went bad at 15,000 miles, the 2nd around 33,000 miles. My Mom's 2003 VUE AWD is in right now for the (first) oil cooler replacement at 52,000 miles. I thought for sure it wouldnt be a problem any longer.

I too heard the "sealant" had been changed and we'd be smooth sailing with no more oil cooler problems. BS. Just had the 2nd oil cooler replaced late last year (note: 2007). I guess this new miracle sealant has problems too, huh?

Either way, I am by no means bashing Saturn, before I get flamed for it. I am frustrated that I hear one thing, and the exact opposite is occurring. I want to keep my 2005 L300 until it completely dies, hoping to get 200,000+ miles from her, have been using synthetic oil and driving gently. BUT I do not want to be in a financial predicament when the warranty runs out and another oil cooler bites the dust to the tune of $800-$1800. No thanks, I have much better ways to spend (or save) my hard earned money. I'll trade it up for a hybrid Vue if I have to, if this oil cooler debacle is going to continue on. If my warranty runs out, cant I just bypass the oil cooler if it goes bad again?

Also the stupid steering problem is uber-annoying. Our 2000 Ls2 had the "same exact" reoccurring problems, and reading the site (ive been a member for a few years myself) know that other L series owners have the same problem with the rack and pinions (our 2000 LS2 had its rack and pinion replaced at around 60,000 miles) and that stupid boot that needs to be greased. Why the $*@! would a manufacturer design a car in 2005 that needs a boot to be greased, seeing that nothing else on the car is greasable besides the doors and hood mechanism?! Geesh. Either way, if they dont replace the rack and pinion THIS time, the car can sit there until they do. It clunks and feels so loose its embarrassing having guests in the otherwise beautiful, great running car.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I still wonder if there's something wrong in the way they're getting replaced. Even the early models that needed replacement only needed it once. It's a strange situation, indeed. Interesting thought to bypassing it...I'm sure it's not recommended, but I wonder why it was necessary in the first place. My old GM pickup has an oil cooler, but it was part of a HD package, I think. I was surprised to learn that the L81 had an oil cooler. Maybe I'm just behind the times!

As for the steering, is the boot they are regreasing the same is the intermediate steering shaft (ISS)? I understand that the ISS was a common problem in nearly all GM front-drivers for a while. It should be a pretty cheap repair, too...
Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
btrautman
btrautman is on a distinguished road

And that is why I won't ever purchase a Saturn again.....let alone GM.....

When one complains of being cheated, I would think some bashing is in order......

Bob
btrautman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Ok so update:

The dealer did replace the rack and pinion (finally!). They said it was leaking externally and binding internally. Score!

Also they rotated the tires, as part of the maintenace package we bought when we purchased the car. Last time we were in though, they broke about 8 of the black plastic lug nut covers. They will not replace them Oh well, our warranty is up in 8,000 miles and at least we were able to get a new rack and pinion. In reality, they should've changed it last time we brought it in because it was binding badly then, when they only greased the intermediate shaft. Ding-dongs. Of course, the oil cooler was replaced.

Oh, and I found a leak at the A/C line at the firewall. There was a/c oil all over the place. We told them about it and they replaced the schrader valve But when I checked afterwards, the oil was gone so I wonder if they didnt just replace the whole A/C line all together.

All of the repairs totalled $18xx.xx and we paid $0.00. Again, THANK GOD we bought the extended warranty. We learned our lesson from our last L series, we bought the extended warranty with $100 deduct. It nickeled and dimed us to death ($100 here, $100 there). Now with the $0 deduct, Im really loving it