SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 06-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
VTVUE
VTVUE is on a distinguished road

Dizzy steering wheel issue??suspension issue?? i'm dumbfounded

i have a confusing issue with my steering and possibly the suspension...last night,leaving work,as i was driving out of the lot i noticed my steering wheel was way off center,as if i was making a left turn.my first thought,alignment,but there was no issue driving to work, in other words everything was good when i exited the vehicle 8 hours before.also she tracks in a perfectly straight line and there isnt the slightest amount of shimmy or tire wear.one thing i did notice as i drove home with the windows open,is a squeeking,creaking noise from the drivers side suspension.i called the service department at saturn of burlington and they told me that i need a alignment,well i may not be the sharpest tool in the shed,but vehicles dont go out of alignment sitting in a parking place.there was no issue on the way to work,the wheel was perfectly centered.this morning i had a couple of people test drive the vue an they said that everything felt normal with the exception that the wheel was way off center....just like alignments,steering wheels dont go off center sitting in a parking place for 8 hours.PLEASE,CAN ANYONE HELP OR HAVE ANY IDEAS WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG?? thank you for anything you can do for me.

Last edited by VTVUE; 06-10-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling
VTVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
VTVUE

Default Re: steering wheel issue??suspension issue?? i'm dumbfounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTVUE View Post
i have a confusing issue with my steering and possibly the suspension...last night,leaving work,as i was driving out of the lot i noticed my steering wheel was way off center,as if i was making a left turn.my first thought,alignment,but there was no issue driving to work, in other words everything was good when i exited the vehicle 8 hours before.also she tracks in a perfectly straight line and there isnt the slightest amount of shimmy or tire wear.one thing i did notice as i drove home with the windows open,is a squeeking,creaking noise from the drivers side suspension.i called the service department at saturn of burlington and they told me that i need a alignment,well i may not be the sharpest tool in the shed,but vehicles dont go out of alignment sitting in a parking place.there was no issue on the way to work,the wheel was perfectly centered.this morning i had a couple of people test drive the vue an they said that everything felt normal with the exception that the wheel was way off center....just like alignments,steering wheels dont go off center sitting in a parking place for 8 hours.PLEASE,CAN ANYONE HELP OR HAVE ANY IDEAS WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG?? thank you for anything you can do for me.
there has to be someone out there that can help me.this is my only vehicle and i rely on it to go back and forth to work in,as well as carry a child.please if anyone had an idea let me know.i know theres saturn mechanics that read these posts.thank you in advance
Old 06-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
kae
kae is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

I may have misunderstood this but you said that you called the service dept but did you take it in for them to actually check it? It seems odd that they would tell you it was absolutely in need of an alignment without checking it out to be sure. I'm not a tech or anything, but it seems like taking it to be physically checked would be the best thing to do...especially with your concerns for carrying a child in it and it being your only vehicle. At any rate...good luck!
kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
GMDad
GMDad will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L

Sure is dumbfounding..I am wondering if the joint on the steering column has slipped on the shaft going to the rack/steering box. Can you have somebody turn the wheel while you look at the steering shaft under the hood and try to hold it...see if something is slipping.
Do you live in the Burlington Ont area? Send me a PM as I deal with a few reputable shops in that area that can help you out...Don
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default probably not an alignment issue

Sounds like its either a suspension issue or a problem with the steering linkages. Did the sound go away when the other people drove it?

If your VUE is under warranty, you should go to the dealership. If not, you can find a certified mechanic in your area.

I have never had my steering wheel shift from the center position if the car has gone out of alignment. I have had my steering wheel (on a '74 Plymouth) during an alignment by a good mechanic. From your description, it would be hard to accept the suggestion of "bringing it in for an alignment".

If you cannot find a mechanic in your area, check out the CarTalk web site. It has a section on mechanics that are "listener approved".
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

The squeaking, creaking noise is most likely not associated with the wheel being rotated off center when driving straight. The noise is probably the sway bar end links. Something has slipped and allowed the steering wheel to rotate without working the steering - a very strange and potentially dangerous condition. I've never seen or heard of this happening before. Take it in as soon as you can.
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
VTVUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTVUE View Post
issue solved..the bolt holding the rear left suspension sheared off.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

And you could not visually notice this while it was sitting still or feel it while driving the vehicle? The good news for you I guess is that it's fixed. Probably some cheap made in China bolt!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Wow. I posted a response on the other thread you started on the bolt. I think you did the right thing by starting another thread because this is a major issue - a primary safety concern that should be brought up to Saturn and/or the NTSB. There was a very well-documented case on the forum previously with great photos of the same failure, but I don't remember anything about the steering wheel getting off-center. Suffice it to say that any time you see a wheel at a strange angle or have a weird problem with the steering wheel, park the car and get it transported to a shop - this is a major failure and the car should not be driven.

Found it - here's the link:

http://http://www.saturnfans.com/for...t=sheared+bolt
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote