SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
hortonbayhunter
hortonbayhunter is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
Default SW2 Drivers Seat

I just purchased a 2001 SW2. I love the car but the Drivers seat back is NOT able to adjust to fully upright. There is always too much of a back tilt to it. This is NOT true of the passenger seat. I went to the junkyard and found the same true on other SL1s.

After driving for more than 20minutes my previously injured hip is in pain. I do not have this problem in other cars or when I ride in the passenger seat.

1. Can I change the adjustment to make it more upright?
2. Was an electric seat ever made for this car so that I could replace it with an electric seat?
3. I saw a post about a passenger seat being put in the drivers position, but it did appear to be complicated.
4. Are there OEM manuf. that make better seats for this?
5. Other ideas? I have tried seat pads, etc. they dont fix the problem because they don't make the back more vertical, but simply add padding.
hortonbayhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: SW2 Drivers Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortonbayhunter View Post
1. Can I change the adjustment to make it more upright?
There is no adjustment to the recline mechanism. I don't know if different years had different degrees of tilt. If they do, the recliner mechanism would be bolt-on.

Quote:
2. Was an electric seat ever made for this car so that I could replace it with an electric seat?
None were made.

Quote:
3. I saw a post about a passenger seat being put in the drivers position, but it did appear to be complicated.
Parts of a passenger seat can be used, but some parts from the driver's seat have to be used. The recliner mechanism doesn't swap, as the adjustment handle would be on the wrong side & hit the console.

Quote:
4. Are there OEM manuf. that make better seats for this?
None that bolt right in. Just about any seat could be used with some fabrication of brackets (though obviously some would fit the space/height better than others.)

Quote:
5. Other ideas? I have tried seat pads, etc. they dont fix the problem because they don't make the back more vertical, but simply add padding.
I've found a lot of people spend some time fighting against sitting in the more reclined position that fits these cars better than trying to sit more upright. For most people, there's a learning curve of realizing how to relax and recline, and once that change of mindset & habit occurs, they're very comfortable seats. However, I don't know that that would be true when the position is provoking an old injury like yours is. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to suggest for you.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
hortonbayhunter

2001 SW2

Thanks for your information. It helps me narrow down my options.
Corbeau makes a seat bracket and seat for this car - I think. They are not cheap, but I really love this car.

One additional question.

Is the 2001 SW2 driver seat the same bolt pattern as the SC and SL's for 2001?
Old 05-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Thanks for your information. It helps me narrow down my options.
Corbeau makes a seat bracket and seat for this car - I think. They are not cheap, but I really love this car.

One additional question.

Is the 2001 SW2 driver seat the same bolt pattern as the SC and SL's for 2001?
Yes, the front seats will swap between all models, years, and trim levels of S-Series. You can take seats from any '91 and bolt them into any 2002 (though it would require swapping the seatbelt buckle.) I'm pretty sure a 2001 SW2 driver's seat would be completely identical to an SL2 driver's seat.
SaturnSeries.net owner
Old 05-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
hortonbayhunter

2001 SW2

Thanks again! You really helped me determine my options.
I think I will look into the Corbeau seats and brackets!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Post up pics and a review if you like them!

Brackets are a bit spendy at $99 each
SC-1 / SC-2 94-01 D1056T D1057T
http://www.corbeau.com/service/seat_brackets/

Seats look nice. Link to sports seat
http://www.corbeau.com/products/recl...ats/sportseat/

So if I decide to get a pair of new leather seats for my SC2, that's $1200 - for a $400 car
I'd expect the frames to be stronger, thought, which is a good thing
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
hortonbayhunter

2001 SW2

I talked to them and I can order 1 cloth seat ($299) and 1 bracket($99) and shipping is approx ($70). So just under $500. My car is worth about $1,500 so your question is valid. But, $500 is perhaps 3 months payments on a new/newer vehicle and I expect it to last longer than 3 months, although something else could go wrong before that time. Thanks, again for the info and questions.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Oh, don't misunderstand me I'm actually thinking somewhat seriously about it (I'd probably do what you are doing, get cloth rather than leather)

I love these two little plastic cars, too

Purchase price <> car worth - I've had my SL2 for about 40k miles. If I drive it another year, the gas savings over my previous commuter will have covered the purchase price of the car.

The bugger is so reliable and cheap to maintain that I expect to drive this car for at least 10 years (should put me close to 300k miles) - and I feel perfectly comfortable with PL/PD so there's some insurance savings, too. The SC2, I plan to completely restore.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
PurdueGuy
Master Member

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
I talked to them and I can order 1 cloth seat ($299) and 1 bracket($99) and shipping is approx ($70). So just under $500. My car is worth about $1,500 so your question is valid. But, $500 is perhaps 3 months payments on a new/newer vehicle and I expect it to last longer than 3 months, although something else could go wrong before that time. Thanks, again for the info and questions.
Another good thing to consider is that if, for example, a year down the road a rock falls off a truck, lands in the road, punctures your oil pan, and your engine locks up, and you decide not to fix the car, that doesn't mean your nice Corbeau seat(s) suddenly have no value. The same nice seat might find a home in your next car, and maybe even beyond that. I've got a CD player that's been that way, it's 13-14 years old now, and has served me well in about a half dozen different cars. You might have to buy a new seat bracket if you get something other than another S-Series, but at least you would know you have a comfy seat.
SaturnSeries.net owner
Old 05-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If the leather is the same quality as stock '93 leather, don't bother paying any extra over cloth seats for them. They do look nice but unless you drive well under the speed limit it feels like your sitting on an ice rink with how you slide around. Then the leather is colder in the winter and much much much hotter in the summer then cloth.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote