SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #41
toomuchsaturn
toomuchsaturn is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: Extremely hesitant and no power

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The platinum plugs will definitely cause problems that just replacing the plugs will not fix. You probably will need new plug wires and possibly a replacement ignition module if those plugs were in ther long enough.
Thankfully they weren't in there too long. I hope that won't be the case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toomuchsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toomuchsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toomuchsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #42
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Good find. It was beginning to sound like an ignition problem. Make sure the firing order is correct when installing the plugs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #43
toomuchsaturn

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Good find. It was beginning to sound like an ignition problem. Make sure the firing order is correct when installing the plugs.
Turns out it still hesitated & felt like stalling but did end up getting power up in the higher rpms. I think OldNuc is right about the ignition module. Mechanic is suspecting it and is going to replace it with a JY one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help toomuchsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #44
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchsaturn View Post
I'm just finding out the car has burnt platinum spark plugs in them. The ones I replaced them with were platinum when I asked for coppers. Turns out that may be the cause of all my problems. I won't be able to drive the car for another hour but I heard platinums on these cars are a nightmare. I just got some autolite copper plugs since NGK Coppers are special order (need to be shipped) at every autoparts store here. I'll update once I'm able to test drive.
Define "burnt" spark plugs....

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #45
toomuchsaturn

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Define "burnt" spark plugs....
See for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180621_181904.jpg (178.8 KB, 20 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #46
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Turns out it still hesitated & felt like stalling but did end up getting power up in the higher rpms. I think OldNuc is right about the ignition module. Mechanic is suspecting it and is going to replace it with a JY one.
Replace the plug wires and then you verify they are all in the right spot.

Ignition wire routing as seen when looking at the engine and coils from the front, hood open, your left to right.

Engine
1-2-3-4

4-1-2-3
coil towers

Connect the matching numbers with a plug wire.

It will run with multiple different routings, only 1 is correct.

RockAuto sells plugs for about 1.60 each so stock up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #47
toomuchsaturn

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Replace the plug wires and then you verify they are all in the right spot.

Ignition wire routing as seen when looking at the engine and coils from the front, hood open, your left to right.

Engine
1-2-3-4

4-1-2-3
coil towers

Connect the matching numbers with a plug wire.

It will run with multiple different routings, only 1 is correct.

RockAuto sells plugs for about 1.60 each so stock up.
I just bought autolite spark plugs and replaced my old platinum ones. Not sure if you saw my previous ones (just added pic). Car did run a bit better up in the higher rpms but still stumbled & and almost stalled down between 1-3k rpms. We're suspecting the ignition module like you mentioned might be the culprit. It'll be replaced as well as the coils. Firing is correct and I doubled if not tripled checked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #48
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

After swapping out the module then actually pressure test the exhaust. Any leak will foul up the mixture. To quick check warm up engine then disconnect the front O2 sensor. Be sure to actually let the car sit at idle for 3+ minutes once warmed up fully. If car suddenly runs great you have a mixture problem.

Exhaust leak check.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT outlet flange with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.

I saw your previous posts, I know what burned out platinum plugs look like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:12 PM   #49
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Although platinum plugs should not have been in there, those plugs do not show any signs of being burnt. Sooty yes, burnt, no.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:18 PM   #50
Cheyne

2000 SL2

The plugs indicate a lean condition. Could be a leaky exhaust as mentioned by Oldnuc. Has the fuel filter been changed?

Edit: Not to mention that the mechanic indicated a lazy O2.

Last edited by Cheyne; 06-21-2018 at 09:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:12 AM   #51
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
See for yourself.
Those plugs are showing signs of oil burning and running hot. The type of electrode is the problem with those plugs, which I seen that you already replaced them in a post after the one I am quoting, and I see Nuc already covered the ignition system.

If it is stumbling at lower rpms and the ICM doesn't solve the problem(it should), then the next step is to perform a compression test.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:13 AM   #52
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

And like Cheyne stated, get a new O2 sensor. I think Nuc may have covered that, too. Denso or Bosch for the O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2018, 07:00 AM   #53
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
And like Cheyne stated, get a new O2 sensor. I think Nuc may have covered that, too. Denso or Bosch for the O2 sensor.
OldNuc recommends Denso or NGK. I recall reading that the Bosch are problematic.

2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #54
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
OldNuc recommends Denso or NGK. I recall reading that the Bosch are problematic.
I may have gotten them mixed up. I have used Bosch without issues, in the past, however I do know they make the actual element in a different diameter from the stock units. I also didn't use the Bosch units in the Saturn engine.

Denso makes OEM replacements, which was what I priced for my header swap, last year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #55
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Here's what I read from OldNuc

Quote:
Bosch among other manufacturers make what is labeled as a universal sensor. This is a one-size-fits-all device that you get to wire the plug to. They do not function well in most applications and are particularly bad in a Saturn. Several aftermarket suppliers make high quality direct, make/model specific , replacements. Two of which are Denso and NGK/NTK.
Quote:
The Bosh O2 sensor seems to have a slow response when compared to the proper copy of the factory part.

2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #56
Cheyne

2000 SL2

Denso was the OE supplier for at least some years. Being that the OP may have a CA or 50 state emission vehicle, he may do well to look at the sensor that's in it.

Then determine the most economical way to purchase. It was actually slightly more inexpensive just recently for me to order the AC Delco OE part from RockAuto than the Denso. Part showed up in the AC Delco bag and was identical to the original Denso sensor that I removed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #57
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I bought a DENSO 234-1022 off eBay for around $22 shipped a few years ago.

Looks like current prices are around $28 shipped.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:09 PM   #58
toomuchsaturn

1997 SL2

Alright yall, so I know I haven't kept up (been travelling out of state and shop had car for about 2 weeks since I got some painting done as well). I'm glad to say my car is now working AMAZING. I don't know what witchcraft my mechanic did but dam does this car feel fast. I haven't felt the engine push me back in a REALLY long time . Now on what he did, I haven't been a able to talk to him but I do know he took it to the muffler shop that didn't find anything to replace the cat. Now I really feel air shoot out the muffler. I also noticed that the car has a deep growl to it and is a bit louder in a good way .Coils were replaced as well as O2 sensors. Now I did notice when I got the car back that my car rattles excessively. If I can recall he replaced the top mount 3-4 years ago and it seems like it's a DEA mount. I'm currently browsing Amazon and am kinda bummed there's no more OEM mount and did read that a seller on eBay has them but for 150 & after shelling out hundreds I don't want to spend too much anymore. I'm kind of torn deciding which to choose. I know there's the westar one's but there are fitment issues and I'm not expert in fixing this. I also found another one where for $53 I get all mounts and reviews are really positive. I don't know which to choose. Does anyone have any info especially for the $53 ones. I attached the link below

K0260 Fits 1992-2002 Saturn SC/SL/SW Series 1.9L Engine Motor & Trans Mount Set 4 PCS : A2827, A2825, A2825, A2826 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDSD9VL..._c1txBbB4B0764

REWARD EXCELLENCE!