SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #21
Achromia
Achromia is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Extremely Poor Gas Mileage 1995 SW2 Auto

Well, looks like my little thread started some heated debate!

This is all very interesting and valid info from some prominent members on this board and I appreciate all the input. A few days ago I did pull the O2 sensor grounds with some difficulty, they are in a kind of tight spot.. They did show some signs of corrosion, but after heavy wire brushing and some finer grit sandpaper the terminals looked nice and clean and I reassembled into the block. For about 10 minutes, NO Code 13! Car ran great, lots of power in comparison to when my SES light is on. I thought I may have fixed it, but alas, it came back on after about 5 miles

I have ordered a proper Denso 234-1022 O2 sensor and plan to install it today when I get home, perhaps that will do the trick. If it doesn't, I'm left to assume I have a wiring problem between the sensor and the PCM somewhere, correct? Could anyone direct me to the procedure for testing the O2 connector with a multimeter? I would much appreciate it! I'll do some forum searching myself to see if I can find a thread about it. Thanks to all of you guys for the help, and Happy Father's Day to any Saturn Dads on this board. Cheers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Achromia's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Achromia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Achromia is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #22
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Those grounds are critical so they need to be clean and smooth. Light buffing with a damp kitchen scotch brite will accomplish this for you. Look for any mostly broken wires at the ring terminals.

A new O2 sensor is a good idea and take a look att he connector and its attached wiring before reconnecting the sensor. Do not use any solvents or cleaners on the sensor or the associated wiring.

If you have any exhaust leaks that may also be part of your problem. If in doubt then test.

Exhaust leak check.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT outlet flange with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.

Your exhaust system is full of bolted flanges with gaskets and a leak is highly likely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #23
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
The burden of proof falls on the one making the claims, Signmaster.
I'm well aware of how that works. That is why such proof is available to anyone on the thread that asks. No cost to others, but in your case the cost is your signature line. Since you constantly question info known to others, there is a consequence to the thread crapping attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achromia View Post
Well, looks like my little thread started some heated debate!

This is all very interesting and valid info from some prominent members on this board and I appreciate all the input. A few days ago I did pull the O2 sensor grounds with some difficulty, they are in a kind of tight spot.. They did show some signs of corrosion, but after heavy wire brushing and some finer grit sandpaper the terminals looked nice and clean and I reassembled into the block. For about 10 minutes, NO Code 13! Car ran great, lots of power in comparison to when my SES light is on. I thought I may have fixed it, but alas, it came back on after about 5 miles

I have ordered a proper Denso 234-1022 O2 sensor and plan to install it today when I get home, perhaps that will do the trick. If it doesn't, I'm left to assume I have a wiring problem between the sensor and the PCM somewhere, correct? Could anyone direct me to the procedure for testing the O2 connector with a multimeter? I would much appreciate it! I'll do some forum searching myself to see if I can find a thread about it. Thanks to all of you guys for the help, and Happy Father's Day to any Saturn Dads on this board. Cheers.
If you can get the proper wiring diagram, you can check wiring to the PCM. With most GM vehicles the best bet is checking with a scan tool and testing O2 sensor bias of the connector when open vs grounded. Of course this takes a scan tool unless someone figured out a DIY method using common testers.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:05 PM   #24
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

To check the O2 sensor wiring turn the key to ON but not crank and then measure the voltage at the sensor connector to ground with the sensor disconnected from the car wiring connector. The inner contact of the car connector should read 0.45vDC to ground(the block) use a good quality DVM to do this. This will also verify your grounds.

No drawing and wire chasing involved, just a quick and simple check. If you get a zero reading then start the car as it may have to be actually running to see this bias voltage. That will set a code but just reconnecting and then pulling teh PCM B fuse for 20 seconds and replacing will clear all of it. Do all of this connecting/disconnecting with the car OFF.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #25
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Well, that is anyone other than Saturn Night. If he wants to see it, it's going to cost a signature line. Being the skeptical fearmongering naysayer will come with a price.
We're probably due for a change

And I don't get the whole "post a video as proof" thing.

With modern tech, videos aren't what they used to be as evidence of stuff being real

Here's video of me in my sweet new ride, chasing down a smuggler. Didn't end up well, of course

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #26
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
We're probably due for a change

And I don't get the whole "post a video as proof" thing.

With modern tech, videos aren't what they used to be as evidence of stuff being real

Here's video of me in my sweet new ride, chasing down a smuggler. Didn't end up well, of course

Years ago on a truck forum I frequented the signature line bets came to be. Some was just all in fun (sports bets, racing, etc) but then many of us realized how much it helped in the discussion area.

With even the slightest bit of accountability, many members suddenly weren't so sure they were correct, and the discussions turned into being more fact based.

BTW don't ever use the red or universal laser cannons on that craft. It will overheat your flux core bypass system and cause a rebuild of the gasket. Totally true, I heard it on the internet.

Hopefully the OP of this thread (and the many others that drift into debate) can find good info that helps them fix their issues, and can find that info without wading through a bunch of nonsense.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #27
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post

BTW don't ever use the red or universal laser cannons on that craft. It will overheat your flux core bypass system and cause a rebuild of the gasket. Totally true, I heard it on the internet.
So, that's what happened!

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote