SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
ctmeans
ctmeans is just really nicectmeans is just really nicectmeans is just really nicectmeans is just really nice

1996 SC2
2005 RELAY-2
Default P0606 Help!!!

2004 Ion Redline

Bought the car about 4 months ago and prior owner has modded quite a bit. Main things are 2.8 pulley, 60#injectors, HE (no option B), LS4 TB (switched back to stock TB as it was having wild idle issues and settled down after switching), ZZP canned tuned for E85.

Really was running well until last month and was starting to have idle issues (at stop initially big swings, almost stall, then settles down), had 4 or 5 limp mode instances when getting on highway (large acceleration and immediately to limp mode) and gas millage is down. 3 days ago was running fine, pulled into store and went inside, came out and no start with only one code of P0606. No ohter codes or codes recently (other than limp mode code)

May be a bad PCM, but I'm checking elsewhere first. Plugs and coils good, removed TB and not carboned up. I did find the connection of the air intake to the air filter housing was loose/open. Filter was good, MAF looked good and cleaned with MAF cleaner and reinstalled both. But, no fuel. Pressing the fuel port no fuel, none with key on, couldn't hear fuel pump engage.

Checked ALL fuses under hood and in BCM and all good

Check battery and torque app has been showing 14.4V when driving and sitting it is 12.2 by multimeter (Also a brand new AGM battery x 1 month)

Fuel Check: 1. I didn't see any connections in trunk for fuel pump like in the SC, but the grey wire at the pump has 12V constant (not sure any other wire to check at the pump). 2. At BCM. Fuel Relay. Second from bottom pin has 12V constant (87). Upper right pin testing from constant shows good ground (85). Upper left pin (86)has 12V after key on 3 seconds then off (so 12V signal is good). I connected constant pin (87)with pin to pump (30) (with 25 A fuse in between) and no pump sound and no fuel to the rail. Is that just a dead pump and so maybe I have been having fuel issues intermittantly causing an eventual dead pump and then throwing the P0606 code? Or is the PCM bad not allowing the pump to work? I would think you could bipass and connect pins 87 and 30 and it would work? Maybe just a bad relay? The relay was also odd. It was the right shape and connections, but it was not labeled with those pin numbers, but rather pins 2,3,4, and 5, and it had a yellow stripe. It was a GM made relay of some sort. Minimally I might get a new AC Delco fuel Relay.

Where to head next?
1. New relay switch
2. Clogged fuel filter? Dunno, changed 2 months ago. Probably not
3. Fuel? Tank is full and E85. Same fuel station each time. Probably not, would just run poorly if bad gas
4. CPS? If suddenly failed, would it cause fuel pump to not engage? If so, and replacing relay is not working, might try new CPS.
5. Throttle Body. This was a used one, and maybe the TPS was going out causing limp mode, don't know. Never had any TPS codes, but maybe new TB.
5. Possibly bad MAF? Could replace.
6. New fuel pump if all else is working. Supposedly changed by owner a few months before I bought it. Maybe 6-8 months old.
7. If all else fails new PCM. This is where it's tricky getting a PCM/ECM for my 2004 with mods. If I go down this road may have to have someone with tech 2 get my vin and base flashed over. I have HPTuners and could run my current file and start tune from there.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. This is my DD so I need to get this done ASAP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ctmeans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ctmeans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ctmeans is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P0606 Help!!!

Your descriptions of fuel pump relay pinouts seem correct but somethings wrong because this pump relay works otherwise the engine wouldn't run if 30 and 87 doesn't close whether for the two second ignition on interval or when the engine's started/running. Tried swapping another relay into position. All 87a relays come as either 4 or 5 pin types with the same pinout - 85 and 86 are ecm controlled to power the relay solenoid, 30 and 87 are the electrical contacts to send 12 to cooling fan, ac compressor clutch coil, horn, etc.. Almost everyone here wiring a jumper across 30 and 87 sends power to whatever needs it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
ctmeans
ctmeans is just really nicectmeans is just really nicectmeans is just really nicectmeans is just really nice

1996 SC2
2005 RELAY-2

I'll start there first and try and report back tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ctmeans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
ctmeans

1996 SC2
2005 RELAY-2

Ok, so I switched another relay switch from the BCM (it's the only other relay with the same blade configuration and it's behind the metal support bracket and difficult to remove due to clearance). Still no fuel pump.

So with the pins all checked that they work correctly, jumping 87 and 30 doesn't turn pump on, have 12 to the pump....am assuming pump is bad.

So pump is where I will start next and really hoping the P0606 from from the failing pump.

So supposedly the prior owner had a pump replaced within the past year or so. Any chance it failing due to the type of fuel. Is E85 hard on pumps or is there a specific pump that is recommended?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You became another beta tester, converting your engine and fuel system to use e85 fuel. With 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline, a tune is only part of a conversion. Unless you can guarantee the engine and fuel system are compatible for higher ethanol use, you inherit any ethanol issues related to premature corrosion from ethanol and water absorption issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote