SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?
Yes! 81 63.78%
No Way! 32 25.20%
I Don't Care... 14 11.02%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #61
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?

Yes-if it allows Saturn to have a good attractive affordable small car in its
lineup. That 240hp engine sounds unbelievable!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2006, 09:53 PM   #62
L100
Advanced Member
L100 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?

Heck Yeah, but build it at Spring Hill. I want the Diesel version.

I bet GM will have to rehire the people they just laid off because that car will sell! What styling!!

I'm getting my deposit ready.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:56 PM   #63
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNut
How could I forget that one??? Now, its definitely too similar to other GM names. How about the NARO (Not Another Rebadged Opel).
Naro is too close to Nero the sports jacket from India with the high collar.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:56 PM   #64
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84
No, GEO had nothing to do with Saturn in the corporate planning. Geo was to be a specifically foreign cars based brand. None of those cars were built by GM [except the collaborative Prizm with Toyota] but rebadges of Suzuki and Isuzu products.The problem was that no one bought charade of GEO being a GM division or that it even mattered in the hierarchy. It was a sub brand FOR Chevrolet, with some of the badges even showing a little bow tie in the center. GEO was something Japanese for Chevy to sell since they couldn't or wouldn't design a decent small car for themselves. The business model was QUITE different from Saturn.
The hope was that people would go on to Olds FROM Saturn. Olds even studied the way Saturn did business in the early years.
The SC looks like the Storm and the 95-up Cavalier 2 door. They have the same elements, but the SL is a dead ringer for the Cutlass Supreme GM10 with the wrap around rear window and general styling
Well now they just gave up on it and stuck full-size Bow-Ties on Daewoos now. I don't know if you've got 'em in the States, but we have 3 full-fledged Daewoos wearing Bow-Ties here in Canada. I don't see much of the Storm or SC in the Cavalier, but yes the SL is a dead ringer for the old Cutlass. There is even a used car buyer's guide I was checking out and in the SL review it even mentioned that resemblance specifically. I was a kid when GEO disappeard, but everytime I see one of those damn things that stupid song goes through my head "Getting to know youuu, getting to know all about yooouuuu!"
Dammit, it's back

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:26 PM   #65
KrgION03
KrgION03 is on a distinguished road

I've seen the latest Astra in person...I think it's great. I say go for it.

Kyle

18 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic, Narvik Black
15 Porsche Cayman, Carrara White
Previous:
13 Porsche Boxster
09 Mercedes-Benz C300
06 Mini Cooper S
05 Saab 9-3
03 Saturn Ion2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KrgION03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KrgION03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KrgION03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #66
PontiacLvr
PontiacLvr is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

Yeah ...this is what i think it would look like in black!!

One hot rocket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg astra.jpg (42.2 KB, 27 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PontiacLvr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PontiacLvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PontiacLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:13 AM   #67
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacLvr
Yeah ...this is what i think it would look like in black!!

One hot rocket
OK, it looks exactly like a mini-AURA. Look at the crease in the center of the hood, the side mirrors. The headlights are almost identical, except the ones on the AURA are a little bit taller with a larger turn signal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aura1_1024x768.jpg (32.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg astra.jpg (42.2 KB, 17 views)

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2006, 03:27 AM   #68
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Aside from the fact that GM has turned its "import fighter" division into a brand of imports and the fact that they've eliminated the polymer body panels, my main problem is that it only comes as a hatchback. It looks nice enough for those who want a hatch, but plenty of folks want a normal sedan, or maybe a conventional coupe or even a wagon!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #69
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I seriously doubt they would only bring over a 2-dr hatch. There would still be a gap in their lineup. The Saturn Astra would fill a niche such as the Celica did for Toyota, but they still needed the Corolla.

I'm surprised by the positive reaction here. I like the car and hope that when Saturn reads this thread they take us very seriously.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:54 AM   #70
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
Well now they just gave up on it and stuck full-size Bow-Ties on Daewoos now. I don't know if you've got 'em in the States, but we have 3 full-fledged Daewoos wearing Bow-Ties here in Canada. I don't see much of the Storm or SC in the Cavalier, but yes the SL is a dead ringer for the old Cutlass. There is even a used car buyer's guide I was checking out and in the SL review it even mentioned that resemblance specifically. I was a kid when GEO disappeard, but everytime I see one of those damn things that stupid song goes through my head "Getting to know youuu, getting to know all about yooouuuu!"
Dammit, it's back
Ughhh. I hated those ads.The cars were interesting and the Metro and Storm were popular, but those ads... You think the same agency does the Saturn ads? They're equally wretched.
I have heard about the Daewoo rebadging. How long is it going to be before Saturn will be selling something similar? Saturn Optra..... Saturn Forenza.{Whats the other DaeChevy sold there? I can't remember the name.} And ironically Chevrolet is building it's name in Europe with Daewoo product.
We're living in an alternative universe.
Should have clarified re; the reference to GEO.It just seems they've gutted Saturn and now it will simply be a collection of vehicles made by others in a "portfolio" to be sold under one banner.Similar to GEO. Not a successful business model IMHO. However a product sold ONLY by Saturn even built by GM Europe or Brazil would beat going the "Relay" route, or taking a page from the Olds Cutlass school of "brand management".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:59 AM   #71
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
I seriously doubt they would only bring over a 2-dr hatch. There would still be a gap in their lineup. The Saturn Astra would fill a niche such as the Celica did for Toyota, but they still needed the Corolla.

I'm surprised by the positive reaction here. I like the car and hope that when Saturn reads this thread they take us very seriously.
I was too. Images of ragged bedraggled Saturn Fans marching on Spring Hill with torches had crossed my mind.
Personally an Astra that could run E85 would pull me in. And the size is right. Love the ION , but it seems like such a boat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:41 AM   #72
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRedline
But seriously, check your numbers: Only 8 inches difference?

I'm seeing over a foot's difference.
Uh, 16 inches to be exact....but since the wheelbase is the same as the Ion, the length must come from front and rear overhangs, evenly. Hence, an 8 inch difference on both the front and rear of the car; 16 inches total. My bad, I should have explained that better.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #73
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?

Why not, though I'd prefer Saturn built their Astra here at Spring Hill. Still a possibility. But, while GM is an American-based corporation, it's operations are world-wide. Therefore, there's no reason why GM can't pull from the best and brightest of those global assets to provide its American customers and Saturn with the best cars available.

BTW, if the ION replacement is to be called "Astra", what becomes of the "Evoke" name Saturn supposedly registered a while back? I'm going to go out on a limb and predict it shows up on a coupe version of the Aura with a folding hardtop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:51 AM   #74
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Question Re: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?

So...somebody fill me in.
Saturn plans on importing the Astra (2008?), THEN manufacturing the same car stateside (ie:Spring Hill) when/if it takes off

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:55 AM   #75
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNut
Oh, and Astra is too close to Astre which was a Pontiac version of the Vega.
Wasn't the Vega/Astre related to the Opel Manta of the early 70's? Also, let's not forget the Chevette (Opel Kadett) and the Pontiac LeMans of the late 80's-early 90's (also an Opel Kadett). Not to mention the Opel GT, the design of which was used to shape the late 70's Corvette.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #76
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Ughhh. I hated those ads.The cars were interesting and the Metro and Storm were popular, but those ads... You think the same agency does the Saturn ads? They're equally wretched.
I have heard about the Daewoo rebadging. How long is it going to be before Saturn will be selling something similar? Saturn Optra..... Saturn Forenza.{Whats the other DaeChevy sold there? I can't remember the name.} And ironically Chevrolet is building it's name in Europe with Daewoo product.
Should have clarified re; the reference to GEO.It just seems they've gutted Saturn and now it will simply be a collection of vehicles made by others in a "portfolio" to be sold under one banner.Similar to GEO. Not a successful business model IMHO. However a product sold ONLY by Saturn even built by GM Europe or Brazil would beat going the "Relay" route, or taking a page from the Olds Cutlass school of "brand management".
My friend's wife LOVED her stupid GEO she calls jellybean. It had a Z12 sticker on it that's kinda funny. It finally died after several accidents and what not. Anyway Chevy re-badges 4 Daewoos currently in Canada. The terrible looking Aveo (aka Pontiac Wave, and Suzuki Swift?) The Optra (sedan and wagon), the differently styled Optra5 5-door hatch (that one isn't too bad looking I'm a little ashamed to say ) and the previous Impala rip-off Chevy Epica. Small cars are King here in the Great White North. Why do you think Pontiac dealers FREAKED when there was no Sunfire replacement? Hence the Pontiac Pursuit mentioned in the article Charlie referenced at the beginning of this thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 02-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #77
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2
Aside from the fact that GM has turned its "import fighter" division into a brand of imports and the fact that they've eliminated the polymer body panels, my main problem is that it only comes as a hatchback. It looks nice enough for those who want a hatch, but plenty of folks want a normal sedan, or maybe a conventional coupe or even a wagon!
If you can't beat 'em, import 'em. Or at least design them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #78
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
My friend's wife LOVED her stupid GEO she calls jellybean. It had a Z12 sticker on it that's kinda funny. It finally died after several accidents and what not. Anyway Chevy re-badges 4 Daewoos currently in Canada. The terrible looking Aveo (aka Pontiac Wave, and Suzuki Swift?) The Optra (sedan and wagon), the differently styled Optra5 5-door hatch (that one isn't too bad looking I'm a little ashamed to say ) and the previous Impala rip-off Chevy Epica. Small cars are King here in the Great White North. Why do you think Pontiac dealers FREAKED when there was no Sunfire replacement? Hence the Pontiac Pursuit mentioned in the article Charlie referenced at the beginning of this thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 02-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #79
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb

The Astra line includes the 3dr, the 5dr, a wagon and a TwinTop coupe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #80
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik
So...somebody fill me in.
Saturn plans on importing the Astra (2008?), THEN manufacturing the same car stateside (ie:Spring Hill) when/if it takes off
My prediction is that Saturn will import the Astra for one year, 2007. When Springhill closes down for retooling, which I believe is until 2008 (?), I think when they open up they will be building the next generation Astra (2008) there to sell here and possibly exporting it to Mexico.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!