SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would You Buy a Saturn Made in Mexico?
Yes 37 12.46%
No 231 77.78%
Don't Care 29 9.76%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #61
saturnfreak01
saturnfreak01 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Would You Buy a Saturn Made in Mexico?

"""I'd rather buy a car made in Mexico than send one red cent to the automotive conglomerate known as Honda."""

I think you have bigger monsters to worry about than Honda OhioVueBoy-- did you forget about Toyota which is much larger, much richer, and more capable of taking over the world as your thoughts suggest than American Honda Corporation.

I don't understand why some people are so focused and sometimes blinded by a loyalty to an american company-- in GM's case a falling star desperate to gain leverage in an ultra competitve market while fighting off creditors and smiling in the face of companies like Toyota, Nissan, and Honda who have built up excellent reputations for dependabilty, quality, and resale value, and their respective sales suggest these reputations resonate with American consumers.

I for one- could ultimately care less where a car is made, or who stands around building it, or whether they make $ 20.00 per hour or $ 1.00 per hour. I expect quality, and most of all, my monies worth. Everything else is unimportant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnfreak01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnfreak01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2005, 04:30 PM   #62
dcp
Advanced Member
dcp is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

no sir,I would not buy from Mexico!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #63
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy
Don't you drive an Australian Pontiac?
~D.J.~
What does that have to do with Saturns being built in Mexico? I would pay MORE for an Aussie Saturn if it had the fit and finish of my GTO.
The engines that are seizing up in Relays were assembled where, again? That's right- good ole' Mexico.

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:56 PM   #64
Dione
Dione is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

NEVER!
I choose this car (over some pretty darn nice vehicles made in other countries) BECAUSE it was an American car, made in America by Americans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dione's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dione reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #65
sewsmartliz
sewsmartliz is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Thumbs Down Re: Would You Buy a Saturn Made in Mexico?

One of the main reasons I bought a saturn in the first place was because it was an American Car. I'm a believer in speending your money where you
earn your money. If Saturn wants to move their works to Mexico for cheaper
labor then NO I will not buy Saturn (even though I love my L series) I will be forced to return to Buick or Cadillac again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sewsmartliz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sewsmartliz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sewsmartliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:12 PM   #66
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsmartliz
If Saturn wants to move their works to Mexico for cheaper
labor then NO I will not buy Saturn (even though I love my L series) I will be forced to return to Buick or Cadillac again
Just make sure it's not a Chinese Buick or a Cadillac CXT from Mexico!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:21 PM   #67
Rogn38
Rogn38 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Made in Mexico....No
Lets not compromise the quality.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rogn38's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rogn38 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rogn38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:29 PM   #68
Lisa H.
Lisa H. is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Definately not!!! Mexicans and "made in Mexico" are taking over the USA. It would be a very sad day if Saturn/GM did this. I cannot even believe that they are even considering this. I love my SL...but if it were made in Mexico......I wouldn't even have considered buying it. Just my opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lisa H.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lisa H. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:43 PM   #69
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete93SL1M
What does that have to do with Saturns being built in Mexico? I would pay MORE for an Aussie Saturn if it had the fit and finish of my GTO.
The engines that are seizing up in Relays were assembled where, again? That's right- good ole' Mexico.
Aah, it has a lot to do with it. I've been around the GTO (there are now 5 as of last week within 2 generations out from me in my family)... I know all about their "impeccible" build quality. Remember, the Jetta comes from Mexico, and sets the bar for interior quality and fit/finish on compact cars - and handily trumping the GTO (did I mention that the power seat is out in one of my cousin's GTOs, my uncles was delivered with a nonfunctioning stereo, and his taillight fell out of the spoiler with under 1,000 miles on the odo... wait - didn't C&D's test mule do the same thing 3 years ago)?

I'm sure that GM is sending Mexicans their reject substandard parts just so American consumers have a leg to stand on with their gripes about ****ty build quality. I'm all for keeping jobs in the USA... I live 15 minutes from the Trailblazer plant - but if this is what it takes to keep GM afloat, then why not. I'd rather have a car from Mexico than Korea or China.

~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #70
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfreak01
"""I'd rather buy a car made in Mexico than send one red cent to the automotive conglomerate known as Honda."""
I think you have bigger monsters to worry about than Honda OhioVueBoy-- did you forget about Toyota which is much larger, much richer, and more capable of taking over the world as your thoughts suggest than American Honda Corporation.
No, I may gripe about Toyota now and then, but i respect Toyota. Do I think they are better than GM, no, but I respect their design and engineering.

As far as this "blind faith" to GM... I don't consider the fact that GM kept food on my family's table through the depression, through the war, and gave my grandfather a job when he got back from WWII a blind faith. I don't consider the scholarship money I get because of being a GM Engineering Explorer for 4 years of high school a blind faith. I have a lot of personal ties with GM, from my relatives several generations back, through my father, and onto myself.

I'm still not afraid of change.

~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:53 PM   #71
Lisa H.
Lisa H. is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa H.
Definately not!!! Mexicans and "made in Mexico" are taking over the USA. It would be a very sad day if Saturn/GM did this. I cannot even believe that they are even considering this. I love my SL...but if it were made in Mexico......I wouldn't even have considered buying it. Just my opinion.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.......I live in an area where there are alot of illegals and our state is allowing it...and putting them to work, when there are others who cannot find jobs. That is why I am so upset over this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lisa H.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lisa H. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:54 PM   #72
RatLabGuy
RatLabGuy is on a distinguished road

I want to clarify part of what I said before, just in case. I did not mean to say just that American workers need to accept lower standards for employment, but rather than American buyers are going to have to accept a higher cost/price tage for theat "made-in-america" sticker. Clearly that means something important to many folks here, but likewise, many folks just do not care as much, and will go for the cheaper buy (assuming equal quality). In mnay other countries, cars are very expensive for the everyday person, and come w/o most luxuries we have just b/c of keeping the costs down. I think that at some point Joe American will have to wake up and understand that there is alot of work/time/effort put into producing a car, and that its has to be expensive to reflect that.

Now, I know I'm gonna get jumped on for the following... I'm just looking for evidence/prooof (the sceintist in me).... I see many folks here directly saying "made in mxico is inferior quality". Why is that necessarily the case? If the engineering is identical, Q/C is identical, why does it matter what language the guy w/ the wlder speaks?

With 200+ Billion electrical parts, the world most impressive machine resides insides you own skull.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RatLabGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RatLabGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RatLabGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:54 PM   #73
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy
I'm all for keeping jobs in the USA... I live 15 minutes from the Trailblazer plant - but if this is what it takes to keep GM afloat, then why not.
Well, for one thing, it seems morally wrong to me to pay a CEO $10 million a year and not even pay a decent living wage to your employees. Also, why should companies based in the United States enjoy all the benefits afforded to them by this country, including defense of the country by a taxpayer funded military, and then not give something back? Shouldn't GM have some sense of obligation to U.S. citizens?

As for the argument that giving Mexicans crappy jobs is still better than giving them no jobs - well, unless you're paying them enough to live what we would consider a decent middle class lifestyle*, and affording them the opportunity to better themselves and their children through education, then you're simply perpetuating poverty by exploiting an impoverished population to the detriment of the middle class here and in other industrialized nations.

*by decent middle class lifestyle, I don't mean 3 large screen tv's, two SUV's in the garage and a boat. I mean a decent home, running water, electricity, a clean environment, access to decent medical care, decent law enforcement, and access to education, including the opportunity to pursue higher education.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #74
IceQueen
IceQueen is on a distinguished road

Yikes-as a true believer in the kinds of quality products that can be and are manufactured right here in the USA, I am disgusted by the thought that any American would lose their job to save the "Company" a couple of bucks. I am more than willing to spend a little extra for QUALITY. I sure save alot of money because I refuse to buy anything that isn't made in the US. And now I guess that will include Saturns. Sigh. It never ceases to amaze me that whenever something is good, with nothing needing 'fixing', someone comes along and decides to change or 'improve' it. They will regret the day they sold out. Some things are more important than money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IceQueen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IceQueen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IceQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:16 PM   #75
PaulGraz
PaulGraz has a spectacular aura aboutPaulGraz has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
I don't understand why some people are so focused and sometimes blinded by a loyalty to an american company....
No, you clearly don't understand. It's not loyalty to GM, it's all about maintaining the US ecomony.

Quote:
I for one- could ultimately care less where a car is made, or who stands around building it, or whether they make $ 20.00 per hour or $ 1.00 per hour. I expect quality, and most of all, my monies worth. Everything else is unimportant.
And you would be in the majority of US consumers. "I don't care about anything, as long as I can save a few cents". It's this attitude that's killing our ecomony. By the time you and the others like you wake up, it will be too late.

I suggest you take a course in Economics and learn what the real issue is here. The job you save may be your own...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:44 PM   #76
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Similar to what I said in the thread about the loss of polymer, I'd only buy one if it fit my needs better than what else is on the market for the same money.
I'm not too asshamed to admit, the polymer and the fact that it was made in the US with an american engine in a hippiesque plant were bonuses in the Ion's favor when I chose it.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #77
martlet
martlet is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L
2008 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnhater2
I'm assuming that the design will still be done in the US.

So... my thoughts are: The high costs of Union Labor have pushed yet another manufacturing operation outside the borders of the USA. Too bad!
Here's what's happening with GM Design:
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...05077_1341.htm

From the article:
" Korean Daewoo operations will work on subcompact cars and small SUVs"
" Engineers at GM Daewoo Auto & Technology in Korea are working on the next Saturn Vue small SUV for the U.S. market."

I am a very very big fan of Saturn - I truely want to continue to buy Saturn products in place of any imports. This brand is aimed right at me. If they need to design it in Korea and build it in Spring Hill - I'm still with them all the way. If designed overseas and built out of the US - well - it certainly becomes more like all of the other imports doesn't it?

Please - KEEP THE VUE FROM THE HILL

Respectfully,

Scott

Stone Mountain, Georgia

SW2, Vue owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to martlet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help martlet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
martlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 PM   #78
mjekot
mjekot is on a distinguished road

More Jobs going offshore.

Thank You!

Shut up, go to chruch, shop at Walmart........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjekot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjekot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjekot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #79
saturnfreak01
saturnfreak01 is on a distinguished road

"""It's this attitude that's killing our ecomony. By the time you and the others like you wake up, it will be too late.

I suggest you take a course in Economics and learn what the real issue is here. The job you save may be your own..."""

For starters, I have taken a few courses in economics thank you-- and secondly, I am well aware of the shrinking job market and thousands upon thousands of jobs going overseas. This is sad yes- would I prefer jobs stay in the ole red-white an blue-- absolutely--

This dream however-- is fading-- not because of consumers- but because companies are cutting costs to be more competitive-- and looking at their bottom line! If one company moves jobs (such as Dell moving its customer service jobs to India) -- it can reduce prices making it more profitable. Compaq for example- will then have a harder time selling its product for it will be more costly due to higher labor costs in the US-- and Compaq will ultimately follow suit and move jobs overseas as well-- its a domino affect and will continue happening no matter how much people protest.

While I feel some sadness for those losing jobs to out sourcing, I suggest education-- maybe going out an earning a degree instead of working at an auto plant for 10-15-20 years with out ever trying to better oneself beyond a high school education would be a good idea.

While some careers are expanding such as nursing, others such as manufacturing are falling and nothing can be done to stop it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnfreak01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnfreak01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #80
1993SC2
Advanced Member
1993SC2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

America works when you buy American.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote